Condenser Microphones

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a decent, affordable condenser?? There is so much to choose from and I'm interested to know which mics people have used before. I'm going to be using the mic for recording sounds ie. from household appliances etc and also for recording live percussion and guitar along with other mics. So what I am looking for is basicly a good condenser that performs well across the board.
Cheerio!
Dawson.

AKG C414 are good, lots of pickup patterns for different room ambience, -10dB pad, shockmounty thing. Weve used them for vocals, overheads on a drum kit, piano, basically it works fairly well on most things. but theyre £400-£500 each i think, dunno how much your budget is.

AKG C1000s is a good all-round mic...

Why must it be a condenser mic, though, and what do you call "affordable"?

It must be a condenser because I want to record specific sounds and when I say affordable I mean around 100 - 200 quid....so the 414 is out of the question!! We recently got the new 414 at college, with snazzy LEDs!!

The C1000s is your jobby, then...fairly omni-directional and around the £100 mark from Bonza sound...

But the fact it is condenser isn't what will record sounds or not...the frequency and sensitivity and directionality are what make the difference. Condenser mics have a much smaller output and therefore need power for the amplifier...either phantom power from a mixing desk or an on-board battery...

I'm with Fusion Julz - C1000 for a budget condenser, but the SE Electronics mics get good reviews and you get a flash wooden box....

Back