Controlling MP3 playback with decks

phlee

Reformed Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have an idea to run by any DJs out there which I've been cooking up in my mind for a while, and I need to test the market as it were to get some feedback and see if its worth taking the idea any further. Here she is:

I have thought of a way to use standard decks in combination with a couple of specially cut records to directly control the playback of MP3 files. There are controllers and software packages around at the moment which allow you to control the speed and direction etc of MP3 or CD playback, but I don't think these methods will ever replace the feeling of real vinyl under your fingers which you've all spent years getting to know so well. Plus it means that real vinyl could be used in conjunction with MP3s seamlessly rather than swapping from one system to another.
Basically all you would require is two special records, a small box of tricks (cheap tricks) and a PC with 5.1 channel audio capability running some special software. The box of tricks would connect to both decks and both channels of the mixer and also the PC for data (probably via USB) and sound via the four front and back channels of the 5.1 audio card. When you want to mix an MP3 file, you flip a switch on the box of tricks, start your file on the PC and it will begin playing through the mixer as soon as the 'track' on the record starts. You can scratch and spin it to your heart's content using the vinyl controller and adjust the speed using the deck's speed control, just as you would normally. If the needle is picked up, the track will start from the beginning again. This isn't ideal, but is the greatest amount of functionality possible without significantly increasing the complexity (and price) of the system.
So what do you all think? Would you be interested in using something like this? How much would you be prepared to pay for it? Any and all comments are welcome :Grin:

Phlee (mad scientist and trance monster extraordinaire) :partysmi:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phlee @ Jan 21 2004, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Hi everybody,
I have an idea to run by any DJs out there which I've been cooking up in my mind for a while, and I need to test the market as it were to get some feedback and see if its worth taking the idea any further. Here she is:

I have thought of a way to use standard decks in combination with a couple of specially cut records to directly control the playback of MP3 files. There are controllers and software packages around at the moment which allow you to control the speed and direction etc of MP3 or CD playback, but I don't think these methods will ever replace the feeling of real vinyl under your fingers which you've all spent years getting to know so well. Plus it means that real vinyl could be used in conjunction with MP3s seamlessly rather than swapping from one system to another.
Basically all you would require is two special records, a small box of tricks (cheap tricks) and a PC with 5.1 channel audio capability running some special software. The box of tricks would connect to both decks and both channels of the mixer and also the PC for data (probably via USB) and sound via the four front and back channels of the 5.1 audio card. When you want to mix an MP3 file, you flip a switch on the box of tricks, start your file on the PC and it will begin playing through the mixer as soon as the 'track' on the record starts. You can scratch and spin it to your heart's content using the vinyl controller and adjust the speed using the deck's speed control, just as you would normally. If the needle is picked up, the track will start from the beginning again. This isn't ideal, but is the greatest amount of functionality possible without significantly increasing the complexity (and price) of the system.
So what do you all think? Would you be interested in using something like this? How much would you be prepared to pay for it? Any and all comments are welcome :Grin:

Phlee (mad scientist and trance monster extraordinaire) :partysmi: [/quote:a2d8ba01b5]
A good idea Mr Phlee! So good in fact, that someone else already had it http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?...finalscratch_us

doh!

Hey Phlee! Is your name Richie Hawtin, then?

If not, think he beat ya with Final Scratch...as AC mentioned above...

Controll MP3 playback with decks has been done, mixing CD's and MP3's in a computer WITHOUT the need to use the monitor, mouse or keyboard has not been done yet. When that's done, it'll narrow the difference between CD mixing and the more virtual mp3 thing - when it becomes more hands-on the controls rather than on the mouse and eyes glued to the screen. Pus with computers you get the flexibility of plugins. and different software. More details of my idea in the other thread.

http://www.psy-trance.co.uk/psyforum2003/i...?showtopic=5605

theres a new game coming out on the playstation 2 called playstaytion dj or sony dj or somethinglike that .. and going on how well the ps2 title goes there planning to have(for the Ps3) the feture to put your own tunes in!
ive playtested the game and its fantastic! .... im goning to have a *unofficial Pre release party* with psy !!

watch that space !

Back