Could Do With A Bit Of Encouragment/Constructive Criticism

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Hello everyone :Smile3:

Here is a fairly large portion of a track I've been working on for the last month or so. I'm starting to loose perspective on it, although it isn't finished yet at all.

I'd really appreciate people's opinions on what you hear here. Everything is up for change - nothing is set in stone.

Basically, should I bother continuing on this track when I feel uninspired, or is it worth bearing with?

Clicky Click

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
First off it's flowing very nicely and just when I thought you should start to bring in a new lead part/sound you did so it's working in this respect. One thing that is really throwing me is the bass sound in the fast section. Would you consider a different synth for this? Whatever synth you are using the phase of the waveform isn't controlled. Meaning that each time it starts on a different part of the waveform not let’s say at the peak of the saw wave. Or the centre of the waveform. The resulting sound you are getting hear means that the attack of each note sound different from the last. I have found by using RGC audio's pentagon where you can control this element you can get a much more solid and controlled sound.

I find that ones my kick and bass foundation are really solid the rest of the tune writing can be approached with allot more confidence. This isn't so much of an issue in the slower part of the track however as obviously there is allot more time between each note starting and so the attacks difference isn't so obvious.
P.S. the kick is wicked

Work on this and then maybe leave the tune be for a while if you have become tiered of it or you might find that once you have this sorted you might really get back in to the rest of the tune again.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Excellent, cheers dude :Smile3:

I have been having alot of problems with the bass on this one in the fast section. I was trying to coax a good 'un out of the A1 synth, but I think you just nailed why I can't. Judicious use of qudra fuzz probably isn't helping either. Reminded me of my own golden rule - if it doesn't work, chuck it out.

The slow section bass is FM7 with everything set to keysync so I reckon that is phase alligned, just that you get no control over where it is, but it is the same every time

Glad you liked the kick, the gated LP reverb in the slow section kick didn't make you queasy I hope. I know that strictly people frown upon that kind of thing, but I just can't help myself.

Cheers for the response :Smile3:

Zen Cat

Shizzle to the Nizzle
Reaction score
Great expansive synth work on this track! Nice chugging tempo and twisted modulation. I really like the airy tinkly sounds in the higher frequency band. I can see what Psyfi means about the bass. But honestly I can't really fault anything in this track. I really like the synth that comes in at 2:58... really powerful. Lovely dub drop! Unexpected!

Mate, I can't really think of anything I'd change. This is going to be a great track when its finished!

Where the track finishes is where I'd love to hear it really start to go mad!

Two thumbs up! :iyes:

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Cheers Zen Cat, glad you enjoyed it, I seem to have found the muse again, found myself tinkering around quite creatively in FM7 and B4 this afternoon.

Gonna get out a synth with a randomise function and work on some more spacey effects and try to on emphasise the contrast between the kinda indirect wash of the trancey bits with the wobbly melodies and harmonies of the dub. Almost so that the dub is more'aving it then the trance, and try to make the point that sometimes slower can be more psychedelic then quick!

OPTOBOT

OPTOBOT
Reaction score
hmm, not too sure about the gated verb on the kick, not my cup of tea really!

I personlly would put the kick alot higher in the mix, or eq out parts of the bass so it hasn't got soo much mid stuff going on,

Also id sample the bass note, then for the fast bit use a sampler to trigger the notes so that you get a more solid kbbb, also you can then change the sustain and release so that it perfectly fits with the tempo of the tune :Smile3: theres alot of sub bass floating around and i think its from bass notes that are overlapping!

p.s i reckon you could make a wicked k-b- tune out of this and forget about kbbb!!

p.ss nice biuld down at the middle

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
For wicked reverbed kicks in this style, check out the album 'Children Of The Noizy Village' by Necton - they do it far better then me, (I reckon down to the space in their mixes - mine are far busier) and you might see why I'm so keen on them!

Cheers for the feedback there, I've taken apart the bass line and patched in a standard Tau Pro stylee one, which is fitting in much better, although it is starting to get an israeli feel to the sound which I'm trying to avoid. Guess I'll just have to fork out for pentagon.

But certainly, for anyone who is running into phase problems, a sampler is a very good way to go.

The mp3 is not very good quality and in the actual mix, the kick sits absolutely fine. Promise :Wink3: Unfortunate consequence of dial up I'm afraid.

You are totally right about the bass patterns, I'm not to sure about them, but the bass is undergoing close scrutiny as we speak.

Anyhow I'm glad you liked ( I think... ? ) the tune, and again, thanks for the interesting feedback and ideas to think about. :Smile3:

jimiwhizz

Elf
Reaction score
Somewhere Inside Dublin's Psychedelic Trance Bubbl
Really dont have a clue about the technical side of writing tunes, however I must say its a very interesting track, love the changes in style - very progressive at the start- lovely stuff, and that Dub-esq break about two thirds of the way thru is sweet and most unexpected! :ibiggrin: & as zen cat said- you have ended where it sounds like it should be about to go mental!!

Keep up the good work

Good Luck

J