Could do with a bit of reverb advice

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Appart from cubase own reverb I have smartelectronics Ambience. The only time I ever use reverb is for the odd special effect due to lack of prossessing power. I rescently tried Masterverb which my mac can cope with fine, but I dont like the metalicky sounds it gives.
What I am after is to make those soft lush dreamy pad sounds + riffs where there is no obviously unnatural reverb.
Is there a particular type of reverb that would do this or do I need to just get the hang of one my wallet+mac can cope with and get to know it well?

if yer stuck for cash and cpu power try applying the reverb off some of the synths that you use. albino and z3ta both have excellent onboard fx including reverbs. if you are in particcular looking for lushy pad sounds try atmosphere. apart from being the nuts at the these kind of sounds atmosphere patches come with their own 'ambience'.
BTW whilst on the topic of cubase reverbs has anyone tried the new SX host reverb Roomer?
apparently its of better quality than the old Reverb A and B.

One solution you could try is a convolution reverb like SIR.

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

It's free and put simply, it's almost like a sampler for effects. In essence, it can reproduce effects from high-end processors (or natural spaces). Only drawback is that you can't do much on the parameter tweaking end of things.

If you can find impulses for long high-end reverbs, you should be able to get amazing results.

Fromem_Ory said:
i use reverb A, works for me :Smile3: would like a more complicated one though...

If you really wanted to splash out: VSS3 for powercore - yum!

Purusha said:

Cheers. Shame its not ported to mac.

The only synths I have with a reverb is novations x+v-station(one came free with the other). Tried a demo of albino ages ago, wasn't too impressed. Atmosphere is out of my budget.
I am very happy with the few vsti's I have. The soft synths I do have I chose partly to do with with cash and partly they are things people dont use too often. For pads I use Expertsleepers "Minkystarshine" +Synapse Audio "poly 850". They are easyish to program and sound beautiful.
Since getting some modest real monitors I have been hearing things different, thinking about soundscapeing more hence reverb lust.
Would love to get absynth one day as well as powercore compact(I can still keep my g4 i-mac then) but on my petty wage its just a dream. :iwink:
Any one know of any free vst reverbs for mac?

Purusha said:

Not the most cpu friendly solution :irolleyes . For a free rever check out KVR Forums - go to the effects section and there are loads of topics about the which free VSTs are best. The metallic sound on some reverbs is caused when the echoes are not sufficiently dense which gives a nasty comb-like frequency response. Most reverbs have some kind of 'diffusion' setting - increasing this should reduce the metallic sound. However, some reverbs are just plain bad! Unfortunately, in general, the better the reverb the more processing power it takes (check out Waves RVerb for example!). Your best bet is just to use two or three very good reverbs as send FX rather than seperate ones for each channel.

ichabod said:
Not the most cpu friendly solution :irolleyes .

Nope - you gets what you pays for in CPU cycles though eh?

:Wink3:

Haven't used it myself but I know a fair few people who do and report great results.

I think they mainly just enable it at mixdown, partly because it also adds a huge amount of latency (unless that's been improved recently).

ichabod said:
For a free rever check out KVR Forums - go to the effects section and there are loads of topics about the which free VSTs are best.
Done that- none available apparently. Though I do have a free one I have used occasionly. ANWIDA DX light. CPU freindly but a little dull.
Better start saving the pennies or rob a bank for that powercore :ilol:

Back