Coupla tracks for ya

SteveJ...

Boo!
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a couple of my toons to a slightly wider audience and get some feedack from you peeps. I try to write toons in a Dawn/Prog vibe - I luv full-on but tend to find it's the fluffy, progressive dawn stuff that excites me and inspires me to actually write toons. All my toons are works in progress and not finished articles - I'm getting maybe a dozen together in Stage 1 and then Stage 2 involves maybe 8 of them being polished using all the tricks I learn a long the way via stage 1 :Wink3: Non have any mastering either as such so there's been no master comping or eq applied yet (it's a process I'm wary of and have a profound dislike for the over compression that is the norm in recording nowadays). That's for the end of Stage 2 anyway :Grin:

The first is called "Vortexist" and is a motoring (for me) 142BPM, the second is called "Funktional" and is a 132BPM nod to the more funky psy/prog feel.

Cheers for listening and any feedback welcome.

http://www.dosseposse.com/steve/VortexistI.mp3

*LINKS REMOVED AS NOW DEAD*

heh.. downloaded them yesterday and forgot to post a comment!

quite like vortexist, nice bass line and good synthy stuff, maybe a bit more work to make the buildups more intresting, the snare rolls in particular are bit obvious ..?

funktional has a very nice intro, and some tasty precussion going on (heheh the filtery thing in particular) takes a while to get going though. the bass sound isnt that great by its self, but the riff works well with the kick..

mixdowns are sounding pretty good, can hear whats going on all the time, though the open hats are a bit to forward in the mix perhaps? the synth lines are seem a bit quiet in comparison

nice work!

Thanks Pete, I'm pretty much with ya on everything ya say :Wink3: I'm going through them just listening and working out what I want to change and tweek for the next stage and your thoughts echo a lot of my own so hopefully that means I'm on the right track :Wink3: I can only do so much at the time before my brain revolts - much easier to let it stew for a bit and go back to it a fresh.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the comments :Grin:

Vortexist is definatly the better one, breakbeat works really well. The busy synth line goes on a bit to much in the other one.

Starts off with a lovely intro, then gets better with every beat. I realy like it, nice one. :ibiggrin:

well hello, fancy meeting you here...on THE psy-forum. Welcome- where've you been ?, oh yeah.....
.......nurturing & moderating the Celtic Psy Trance Forum.

Another fine tune you have created.
The mids and highs are very clear and crisp, but I was only aware there was a baseline and couldn't really hear what it was really doing(i do have cheep monitors though).

Back