Cubase, do I need to upgrade to SX 2, 3 etc ?

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a laptop running a version of Cubase v5 (came free with the laptop). Is it worth me shelling out the spondoolix and upgrading/installing to SX 2, 3 etc??? I currently have a laptop and external firewire soundcard (1 midi in/out), a midi synth keyboard and a sound module. Would there be any benefit in upgrading to me? Still finding my way around v5, and have a grip on the very basics.

Thanks all :ibiggrin:

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
Depends if you like v5 or feel that you've outgrown it. I remember it being a buggy load of old arse, but maybe you don't.
I've got SX2 and its stable and productive and sounds wicked. What you've learned from v5 should translate easily into SX

:Wink3:

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Check out cubase SL , pretty much the same as SX but without suround sound and a few other pro features for a few hundred quid less.
I am in a similar boat, got cubase SE free with my sound card/controller. I use a mac and am fed up with cubase high cpu demands so I am going to abandon cubase as soon as cach allows.

ichabod

Reaction score
Definately go for the upgrade... SX is leaps and bounds ahead of Cubase 5. If you insist on having a legit copy then as jackrabbit said, check out Cubase SL or altentaively you might be able to pick up c cheap second hand copy os SX2 now that SX3 is out.

RedZebra

Reaction score
ditto... assuming it's not an old second hand laptop you've picked up and it can handle later versions.