cyclists now a threat to democracy

Lyra

tranquila querida
Reaction score
how bizarre... i didnt even know this was going on (the cycling event) - at least they are getting good publicity out of this, which might encourage even more people to get on their bicycles (just trying to think positive) :Wink3:

M

makdaddy

as unconstructive as it may be i hereby issue the following statement

"fucking rozzers are utter plebs"

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
dave arc-i said:
i wonder what tomorrow will bring?

asking for permission to go to the toilet?

Which will of course be followed a year or two later by licensing laws for it, privatisation and a terminal fear of being caught with your pants down without a license. A few years later RFID chips will be fitted to all trousers as standard which will send info back to the licensing companies telling them exactly how many times you dropped your pants in a toilet and billing you automatically on a per poo basis. These companies systems will of course never make a mistake, you will never be charged for number twos done in toilets in different cities at the same time and Mrs Forysth of Winchester will never receive a final demand notice for £3M worth of shit deposited around the UK in one month when a faulty chip in her culottes and a bug in the billing system accidentally conspire to bill her for the poos of every person in the country wearing Levi's jeans.

D

dave arc-i

grokit - i get the feeling you have something to with refining government policy

deadgirl

Dead inside
Reaction score
Monkey Do said:
By that measure all traffic, pedestrians and wildlife in London are also illegal.
you are illegal

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
It's a sad state of affairs when we're not allowed to spontaneously assemble and make our voices heard or be seen anymore. No gathering in groups, not too many people on bikes at the same time please or we'll arrest you for using your own streets inappropriately.

D

dave arc-i

deadgirl said:
you are illegal

thats was silly - grokits reading this thread - i can see the future

"monkeys to be banned due to interfering with creationist theorys"

do you hear that whirring noise?

well that is the sound of the "unknown soldiers" spinning in their respective graves at what they fought and died for being constantly eroded in the name of freedom - freedom to be told what to do and think at every stage of your daily life - brilliant

Lyra

tranquila querida
Reaction score
Monkey Do said:
By that measure all traffic, pedestrians and wildlife in London are also illegal.

think we should start mapping where the pidgeons go me thinks!!!!

Acidcurls

change places
Reaction score
dave arc-i said:
well that is the sound of the "unknown soldiers" spinning in their respective graves at what they fought and died for being constantly eroded in the name of freedom - freedom to be told what to do and think at every stage of your daily life - brilliant

i also find it shocking that people who fought and died for the freedoms we enjoy are being eroded at such a rate. :imad: it's a sorry state of affairs when you can't even voice your opinions within a certain area around government, film in said areas without being arrested and in theory be arrested and thrown in jail for forgetting your computer password. it seems all to familiar of the rise of any tirant in the last 1000 years.

munilooney

tandemista
Reaction score
Yurp, numpties the lot of 'em. And it ain't just the two wheeled types being opressed by "the man". My sister and good amigo were recently hassled by the fuzz.

Check it

It looks like aone wheeled protest may well be in the offing.

lala69

51% Sweetheart,49% Bitch
Reaction score
grokit23 said:
It's a sad state of affairs when we're not allowed to spontaneously assemble and make our voices heard or be seen anymore. No gathering in groups, not too many people on bikes at the same time please or we'll arrest you for using your own streets inappropriately.

Sounds like the apartheid government in SA. You weren't allowed to congregate in groups... so even having people over for movies at your house could get you arrested.

Acidcurls

change places
Reaction score
munilooney said:
Yurp, numpties the lot of 'em. And it ain't just the two wheeled types being opressed by "the man". My sister and good amigo were recently hassled by the fuzz.

Check it

It looks like aone wheeled protest may well be in the offing.

that story is appaling, i hope the dude wins, if i can learn to unicycle i'm up 4 a one wheeled protest (mmm. now i just need to find the time and cut a wheel off my bike) :ibiggrin:

tripowski

Festive Camel
Reaction score
It's so odd that this sort of thing is happening... what did we do to deserve this? why us? why now?

fucking police state fucking fucks!

Stuoolong

Professionally fluffy
Reaction score
I'm a keen cyclist and as such risk my fucking neck every day cycling on the roads in my city.

When CM started I thought it was a great thing, a show of solidarity for cyclists to go out and voice their concerns about the impact car culture has on them.

However, more recently, I've come to the conclusion that CM doesn't actually achieve anything positive.

There are two things, one of which needs to happen to improve the life of regular cyclists on Britain's roads:

1) Far, far less people drive their cars or own them (much more dream than potential reality)
2) Car drivers in general develop more respect for cyclists (more achievable)

The problem with CM is that it only really serves to piss off car drivers, who have to spend a lot more time queuing in trafic as a result of it, cursing those fucking cyclists. This might be a good protest if done every now and then, but as it's become regular, I think it only serves to damage the already fragile relationship between drivers and cyclists. Already fragile, because drivers often get pissed off with cyclists jumping red lights and going on the pavement to avoid traffic jams.

While I agree with most of the above comments about civil liberties and right to protest, I've got little sympathy for CM. After all, most demonstration marches, demos, religious parades, carnivals etc. liaise with the police over routes, including most of the RTS events. I don't see why it would detriment CM if they did the same - refusing to do so is only adding to the car drivers perception of them as law-breaking hippies who don't give a fuck about anyone else.

Improving the position of cyclists on the roads is ultimately about showing car drivers that they are viable, deserving and worthy of respect. Rightly or wrongly, breaking the law and pissing people off is no way to go about that.

ozdave

Phased and misused.
Reaction score
Stuoolong said:
While I agree with most of the above comments about civil liberties and right to protest, I've got little sympathy for CM. After all, most demonstration marches, demos, religious parades, carnivals etc. liaise with the police over routes, including most of the RTS events. I don't see why it would detriment CM if they did the same - refusing to do so is only adding to the car drivers perception of them as law-breaking hippies who don't give a fuck about anyone else.

I think you miss the point, surely CM is/was intended as a spontaneous event that did not need to ask permission to take place. The Govt/Police want to control us and maintain order, hence the need to liase with the Police if you want a demo. Only problem then is that the whole thing is so staged and clinical it loses any meaning. The issue is not CM pissing off drivers, more than the inability we have to protest/congregate in public without bloody permission.

Stuoolong

Professionally fluffy
Reaction score
ozdave said:
I think you miss the point, surely CM is/was intended as a spontaneous event ...

...that's at the same time every month? Doesn't sound very spontaneous to me. I agree that "controlling" and restricting protests in general is a bad thing, I just don't personally think Critical Mass is an effective one so if the police insist on restricting it I won't shed a tear.
Most of the demos and protests I haver been to over the years have involved riot vans, horses and tear gas, and rightly or wrongly, I'm sure CM will attract this sort of police attention if they don't comply.

Perhaps I was a bit too reactionary before, thinking about it now I don't really care if they want to carry on doing what they're doing, just cos I don't agree with them. It is their right after all. But I do feel that CM is on the whole negative for cyclists.

Some interesting points of view on the Cycling Plus forum both for and against.