d&B

panda

in the JUNGLE!
Reaction score
hello psyforumer production types. i have decided to have a shot at trying to produce some drum and bass. does anyone have any advice on this? except the certainly hilarious.....don;t bother!!!lol

like what are good synths for the bass and how do you actually get the sexy bass from the original sine waves and stuff.

i'mjust not sure where tio begin?

nick.,

The bassline is alot about layering i'm sure... one lowpassed deep sine wave to really get those bassbins rumbling, then over the top a fat sawtooth based/distorted/filtered bassline.
The kick drum is probably hi passed around the low mids to let the bass through below...
anyway... I think that's what the basics are

My first bit of advice would be to learn how to write hip hop at prehaps 80-90 bpm. Then double the tempo. Learning to write at a slower pace gives ya head the time to get around the complications of renegade snares n bass lines. <be careful tho cos u can end up with a cluttered sound>... Its not the best way in the long term, but it helped with my DnB at first.
Peace,
N

Try making some intelligent drum and bass which is one step away from Trance and two away from conventional Drum & Bass. Bineural beats: to make a trance you need three syncopations on the go at one time. Breakbeat trance doesn't work

some of the best dnb basslines i've made (long droning filth ala techical itch) have been two layers: a low end one done on a nice synth, saw wave, through a low pass filter to provide the low end, and a high end one done by detuning and distorting a fairly mundane bass sample and squeezing it through a high pass filter to provide the crunchy top end. then filter tweaks to the hp filter of the top end can make the bass swoosh around nicely...

Iris Electronica said:
intelligent drum and bass is one step away from Trance.

erm...

Iris Electronica said:
Breakbeat trance doesn't work

you reckon eh? :Wink3:

Back