Dealing with Latency

Blender Bender

Chew-Z anyone?
Reaction score
I have a desktop replacement laptop (therefore of more than adequate spec) and run Cubase SX.

Unfortunately at the present I have to settle with my onboard soundcard.

As expected, this gives me a significant latency (>100ms)

Is there anyway I can set Cubase to play ahead at the value of the latency so I can record MIDI information from my usb keyboard without suffering from the lag?

No.

That would require a blatant flouting of the laws of physics.

Cubase already compensates for the latency of your system. For it to remove the lag between you hitting the key and the sound emerging from your speakers, it would have to guess what you are about to play 100ms before you play it.

The only solution is to find efficient ASIO drivers for you onboard soundcard [others on here know more about that than me] or stick your hand in your pocket and buy a decent soundcard.

You can buy great soundcards 2nd hand on Ebay and other places for peanuts. I run 5 x Echo Gina 20 cards and they only cost me £100 each.

Ask yourself "Is my music worth £100?" - which is about the same price as an ounce of weed, or a gram of coke and an hour with a reasonable prostitute.

cameron-nagualsound said:
so did I.....hmmm dunno buot 100quid for a gram of charlie though...

Me neither. It actually said;

or a gram of coke and an hour with a reasonable prostitute.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

So £50 buys a reasonable prostitute by your standards does it Ott?

I've never paid more than a drink! But admittedly that wasn't on the street...

Hmmm... That would explain a few glitches I had last night then...

Oh well... It will have to do until I get together some money to get a firewire soundcard and drop the latency to 0.1ms!!

Cheers guys you've all been great help!

Back