Death Penalties - Are they ever justified?

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Fun-raiser
Reaction score
Discuss

no never

In my view death is an escape and the death penalty is therefore less of a punishment that prolonged imprisonment.

I have many views about the current prison system and its flaws and believe inmates should follow a completely different support system depending on their crime and criminal history which would ideally lead to a lower re-offense rate and therefore less full prisons.

Lives can be turned around - i have seen it done. Criminals are humans too and ones which end up on death row often have very troubled pasts and psyche's. Surely trying to help them escape from the learned mental mindset of the insignificance of death and pain being normality can have benefits for that person, whether or not they are then indefinately detained or not.

xxx

I'm not that keen on the nation state having the powers to search my pockets...
... allowing it to kill people seems a really dumb idea!

Yes, sometimes I think it is justified. Genocide, Murder for Gain, Multipule Murder, etc (I dont think that murder in the heat of the moment should result in death penality however, we all make mistakes...even if it is a pretty fukin big mistake)

The reason I believe this, is because it costs a hell of allot to keep someone in jail for the rest of there lives, and I dont see why we should spend money that could be spent on public services on these evil bastards.

I'm not concerned about them learning a lesson or thinking about what they'v done, what good is that going to do? Execute them, use the money that would have been used to keep them to buy new hospital equipment, school equipment, etc etc

If someone can give me a productive reason for keeping them alive without being a drain on the rest of the country, I'd happily change my mind :iyes:

If you are willing to kill someone to make some kind of gain, why the hell should you have the privilage of life?!

miszt said:
If you are willing to kill someone to make some kind of gain, why the hell should you have the privilage of life?!

"Some kind of gain" such as revenge, the semblance of security and saving tax money from prisons; for example ?

martin_e said:
"Some kind of gain" such as revenge, the semblance of security and saving tax money from prisons; for example ?

Well no I ment matirial gain really......eg killing an old lady for the last 5£ of her pension, shooting the bank manager so you could get to the safe, invading a country and declaring war, killing hundreds (thouasands) of civlians so you can secure the oil market, etc etc

and if they kill you straight afterwards then all in all you have a pretty cushy life

miszt said:
Yes, sometimes I think it is justified. Genocide, Murder for Gain, Multipule Murder, etc (I dont think that murder in the heat of the moment should result in death penality however, we all make mistakes...even if it is a pretty fukin big mistake)

The first obvious problem that springs to mind is, "how can you ever really be sure?"

Answer: you can't, therefore death penalties are never justified.

If prisons where more like old work houses, then I'd probably change my mind...put all the evil bastards to work for the rest of there lives (ie when they die, not in 30yearz time when they come up for parole), and I mean proper work, 10 hours a day building roads and stuff....ok, that would be productive, and save the government money on building work :iyes:

turkeyphant said:
The first obvious problem that springs to mind is, "how can you ever really be sure?"

Answer: you can't, therefore death penalties are never justified.

Absolutly agree, but you can sometimes be sure...CCTV, Witness's and Forensics can make the evidence 100%, of course if the evidence is not 100% then the death penality is not justified

Why would you want to live somewhere where the ultimate legal entity is a murderer ?
Just because a criminal commits the immoral act of killing another doesn't mean that the entire machinery of state should sink to the same level ...

martin_e said:
Why would you want to live somewhere where the ultimate legal entity is a murderer ?
Just because a criminal commits the immoral act of killing another doesn't mean that the entire machinery of state should sink to the same level ...

How is it even remotly the same thing??????

Because it's taking the life of another human being...
how does it become alright if decided by a faceless comittee rather than a single person ?

How is it not murder to purposefully stop another from living ?

I think the death penalty could be good if done right, like if a child has been raped and killed then I think it's only fair that the parents should be allowed to dish out some serious beatings and murder on the person wot done it. They could let them get really creative with it, maybe even televise it.

Monkey Do said:
I think the death penalty could be good if done right, like if a child has been raped and killed then I think it's only fair that the parents should be allowed to dish out some serious beatings and murder on the person wot done it. They could let them get really creative with it, maybe even televise it.
i really hope you are taking the piss.

martin_e said:
Because it's taking the life of another human being...
how does it become alright if decided by a faceless comittee rather than a single person ?

How is it not murder to purposefully stop another from living ?

Because...

1) the 'faceless comittee' (which would actualy be a 'jury of your peers') is killing the person because he has commited a gross act of violance against another human being, and taken away that persons life, for some form of matirial gain, probably coz he's too fuking lazy to get a job

2) The costs of keeping someone alive in a jail are huge, why the hell should the rest of the country pay to do this? for a person who has no concern for human life, to the point where money becomes more important than life

as I said, put them in a REAL prison to WORK HARD for the rest of their lives, for the benifit of the community, and its all good, we dont need the death penality, but when they are spending there lives getting fed and looked after whilst doing pretty much nothing, bollox. BOLLOX, they dont desrve that life.

miszt said:
Because...

1) the 'faceless comittee' (which would actualy be a 'jury of your peers') is killing the person because he has commited a gross act of violance against another human being, and taken away that persons life, for some form of matirial gain, probably coz he's too fuking lazy to get a job

2) The costs of keeping someone alive in a jail are huge, why the hell should the rest of the country pay to do this? for a person who has no concern for human life, to the point where money becomes more important than life

as I said, put them in a REAL prison to WORK HARD for the rest of their lives, for the benifit of the community, and its all good, we dont need the death penality, but when they are spending there lives getting fed and looked after whilst doing pretty much nothing, bollox. BOLLOX, they dont desrve that life.

So it's different because the motivation is 1) Revenge and 2) Profit ?

I don't think it's naïve to ask how state-sponsored murder is different from murder for personal reasons. Surely the point of the justice system should be to protect people from immoral acts upon their person. Prison serves this purpose by isolating a criminal from society at large. Execution requires someone, somewhere down the line to murder another...

Back