decay_time = (60/-loopgain) * loopdelay

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Evil Computers, Howling Monkeys and Swirly Synths?

Why, it must be a Speakafreaka track!

Low res only I'm afraid, its doing the rounds with some labels at the mo... :irofl: :irofl: :irofl: ... :icry:

*SHODAN*

Love to know everyone's opinion on this rather evil little number!

Well...if your going for that Ambivalent/LPS sound you're definatly nearly there!! Really nice track but I couldn't help thinking that it could do with some kind of percussive, off beat rhythms to give people more to dance to. I'm not talking about percussion but percussive noises that fit around everything to give the track more groove. Other than that, a fine slab of techy trance!! Really nice atmosphere and throbbing bass.

Good work :Smile3:

hey Speaka, cool track, sometimes maybe too dark for me but than again too cool to sound dark... ?
how do you say?... its a Speakafreaka track!

fingers crossed now :iwink:

:clublase:

Really, really like this! Hope you get a good response from the labels... not listening on good speakers, but from what I'm hearing you should do! What labels did you send it too?

he he cheers guys :Smile3:

I've sent it to various labels, Jibberer, but I don't really want to go into actual names etc etc in case they happen to read the thread, sorry, I'm sure you understand :Smile3:

Speakafreaka said:
he he cheers guys :Smile3:

I've sent it to various labels, Jibberer, but I don't really want to go into actual names etc etc in case they happen to read the thread, sorry, I'm sure you understand :Smile3:

Doh! Sorry, wasn't sure if was ok to ask or not... just curious! Good luck!:ismile:

No problem man, its just you know you don't want to forget anyone, and you don't want to look pushy either :Wink3: Best just to let things take their natural course. Anyhow, cheers for the kind words.

Speakafreaka | Shodan

sampletastic evilness... punchy bass, percussive work is really crisp. nasty delayed synths have an analogue roughness to them. i like the hugeness of the reverbed ambient noises, and the tight acidic bouncy metalloid synths @ 1:30. there's a really nice sense of building energy, for which some credit must go to that chunksome bassline.

at 3:00 the psychedelic swirliness is lush. imo what's good about this track is that all the elements are defined in the mix; they sit together really nicely, giving proper sonic space to all the constituent parts.

i think what i like most is the structure of it; it ebbs and flows without drawing the listener into an easy sequence of ideas.

muchos gracias senor freaka, i was looking forward to hearing some of your stuff (i don't think i have before?) and was very impressed :Smile3:

Ahh wicked glad you like it - I was worried the monkeys might be to much, but no :Wink3:

Sorry I haven't been putting up much recently, been having a quiet year, working on the old technique, so hopefully will be a bit more prolific now.

Ooh dark samples. Really like the intro. Really flows together well, all the sounds are great. I think it's pretty much there! The kick sounds a bit odd but it could be the low bitrate. I really like it! The dark string thing around 5-6 mins is very cool.

Really really like this track :iyes:

There's also one sound which I absolutely love (and would like to know how it's done too hehe) at 1.45 "Ooo aaa ooo" reallly really lovely synthesis...

On listening muchly (and that really is muchly hehe :P) to it there's only one little teensy thing I'd personally change... would just HP/Highshelf the hihat sound that comes in at 3:30 a teeny bit more... make it less prominent in the mix... But that's a quick fix, and it doesn't detract from the sound too much IMO :Smile3:

Otherwise as said before... lovely lovely dark stuff! Big up da Freak of Speaka!

Merk dem!

He he cheers guys, I think the kick drum thing is the sample rate.

Also, an absolutely massive thanks to Beatnik who gave me some absolutely peach advice about EQ, so big thumbs up to him for that :Smile3: I'll have a listen to that bit tonight and let you know how I did it. If I can remember. :P

Right, here's how that Lead works.

I've put up a couple of screeshots of the synth and the channel.

a1.jpg

channelstrip.jpg

You can also get a .fxb of the synth if you so desire >>>HERE<<<

All that is going on is two pulse waves of differing widths and an octave apart shoved through a ringmod (all sorts of niceness when handled sensibly) then through a LFO modulated HP filter (needs careful placing of Cutoff and mod amount). Ring Mod and high passes are a great combination because all that high frequency activity when you ring mod something gives the filter something to get its teeth into. I've taken as much of the drive quality on the filter as I think sounds good (just love synths with seperate drive controls). The Chorus/Flanger is set up to be fairly strong and flangy, but stops short of really noticable flangy feedback. Because the flanger puts things in stereo, I've set up the blockfish to put things back into mono so that I get control of the positioning again. The blockfish is also compressing pretty hard which is important for HP leads. Saturation is a vital part of the sound - making it fatter without hard distortion - the sound already has enough of that from the filter drive. The rest speaks for itself I hope.

Hope this helps, the least I could do after all the help you gave me :Smile3:

wooooowww!

That's wicked man, defo gonna have a play with that!...

:iredface: Seriously, I'm glad I could be of assistance, it's a wicked choon! :iyes:

Hehehe - another System Shock fan then... :Wink3:

Solid stuff as always dude. :Smile3:

I'm just very glad you didn't use the same SHODAN sample I did!

J.

It's not freeware, Looking Glass went under and EA still own all the copyrights (which is why SS3 will never see the light of day)... Keep it under your hat!

J.

Back