Delay on a base line

nomis

bumbalumba cruiser
Reaction score
A really great example of delayed basslines is logic bomb.

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
psyfi said:
Well by that logic you wouldn't put delay on a lead sound ether. Or any sound for that matter.:ifrown:

no, what I was saying that if you look at a bass sound, the bulk of the sound is lower down the frequency spectrum, thats why its called bass. You cant just delay the top frequencies of a bass because they are high psychoacoustic frequencies that add to the punch/attack of the bass. If you start delaying these you just get a fuzzy repetition that is not easily audible and just clouds the mix. The same is true if you delay the low frequencies unless you use a long delay or a very tight sound like a plucked bass, which is more like a lead anyway.

A lead sound will be much higher than a bass, even if its a low lead it will have more sound present in higher frequencies, thus not result in too much fuzzy psychoacoustic noise from high or sub frequencies.

There's a couple of points in this discussion I haven't touched on but I hope this explains the logic in what I was trying to say psyfi?

Reaction score
Purusha said:
Yeah - it's strange how a lot of people seem to use VB1.

Not something that springs to my mind when considering which bass vsti to use, but people obviously do get good results with it.

death to VB1!!!

not that its bad, more that its completely rinsed out.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
dukas said:
no, what I was saying that if you look at a bass sound, the bulk of the sound is lower down the frequency spectrum, thats why its called bass. You cant just delay the top frequencies of a bass because they are high psychoacoustic frequencies that add to the punch/attack of the bass. If you start delaying these you just get a fuzzy repetition that is not easily audible and just clouds the mix. The same is true if you delay the low frequencies unless you use a long delay or a very tight sound like a plucked bass, which is more like a lead anyway.

A lead sound will be much higher than a bass, even if its a low lead it will have more sound present in higher frequencies, thus not result in too much fuzzy psychoacoustic noise from high or sub frequencies.

There's a couple of points in this discussion I haven't touched on but I hope this explains the logic in what I was trying to say psyfi?
Far piont Dukas but I don't think that this is allways the case. It deepends on who you use it don't you think.

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
Yep it totally depends how you use it, as in delayed bass can work. Infected do it qute a bit and your track shows it can work too. I still think its quite hard to do well so that you can hear the delayed bass rythm clearly beside the rest of the track. I dont like IM that much but their production is very good.