Difficulties finding those harsh frequencies

andrew

open your mind
Reaction score
Hi all -

First thread in a while... bit of a revelation came to me last night.. bloody simple - seems obvious, but it works :Smile3:

Obviously to create a sweet soundscape for our listeners we want to remove some of the frequencies from the sounds we use via eq. but how do u pick which ones to get rid of?

well of course u can sweep the spectrum in with an inverted notch (ie a peak) to see whereabouts makes the sound the worst. Thats one way to do it, which sometimes works, and there are others. I've been testing the below technique out lately and it's invariably worked, every time, so it's on it's way to becoming gospel for me (hehe). u need a fast spectral analyser to do it tho, like spectralab, which is what i use. .....so, here it is :

Solo the track. listen to the sound. when the part of the sound that you
don't like is playing, note which frequencies are the loudest. cut them.

That's it. You have to think about at which points in time over the course of the sound the OUCH freqs occur, this is why u need a fast spectrum analyser.

like i said, this may seem obvious, especially to those who've been to audio school, but the fact that it seems to always work makes it invaluable.

let me know what you think, and happy eqing.

Andrew

Andrew Humphries
www.voiceofcod.com
www.organicrecords.net
www.triskelemanagement.com

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
yup.. .that's a goodun :Grin:

I do like the the high Q resonance sweep though... reason being that i tend to have a vague idea of where the frequencies I don't like are, and then i can find it precisely afterwards..

have also used the spectral analyser method too...

v. nice stuff... e.q.ing is more and more becoming one of my favourite aspects of production - it can be really satisfying and fun :Grin:

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
Duly noted - I use the inverted sweep method currently.

Turn it up, sweep the notch, cut the frequencies that are playing when the neighbours start banging on the wall !

:Smile3:

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
thanks - would probably save the odd wrist tendon to go about it in a logical manner - i just tend to fiddle with a graphic eq when something doesn't sit properly, until it sounds like it does!

must think about things more. it's paying attention to details which seem to make that extra bit of difference.

ichabod

Reaction score
That sounds a useful method for when the bad frequencies only pop up occasionaly. I get this with certain synth lines.. resonances which only happen on occasional notes as you move the cutoff.

andrew

open your mind
Reaction score
ichabod said:
That sounds a useful method for when the bad frequencies only pop up occasionaly. I get this with certain synth lines.. resonances which only happen on occasional notes as you move the cutoff.

True. if its a constant OUUUCCH then you can just look at what freqs are the loudest, or do the sweep tek-neeek

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Colin OOOD said:
PAZ sucks donkey balls IMO. Try Elemental Audio Inspector if you need something that works inside your host, otherwise there's truly nothing to beat SpectraLab.

:dito:... PAZ is pretty wack in comparison with what there is out there...

as Colin said: Inspector (XL version is the one I use... It's very nice)

Have tried out SpectraLab, and it is the daddy... but complex - need to fiddle with it more :P...

ichabod

Reaction score
Just discovered this while poking around on the internet:

http://www.paulrharvey.co.uk/elevayta/product4.htm

It sounds pretty amazing! The idea is that it takes two input sources of similar freqency ranges and applies constanlty adapting EQ to one of them to carve out a set of moving notches to make room for the other signal in the frequency spectrum. Sounds a bit complex but potentialy useful...

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Colin OOOD said:
PAZ sucks donkey balls IMO. Try Elemental Audio Inspector if you need something that works inside your host, otherwise there's truly nothing to beat SpectraLab.
hehe EEE ORRR. I'll get on to Inspector and have a look.

nik

Reaction score
and if anyone uses an rme soundcard be sure to download the free 'totalizer' plug. really good analyser that one.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
makdaddy said:
it rates tits ffs! jeez..its all in the name :ilol:

Whoops... there i go with my completely different mental image! I personally thought it measured the tits-per-style ratio...!

I thought that if I routed it into Nuendo and made some funky house the tit-rate meter would go up, as compared to DnB where it would be practically non-existent...

But clearly I was wrong :iwink: