DJ's Riddle Me This...

Monkey Do Feb 8, 2004

1. Monkey Do

Monkey Do #1 Internet Toughguy

Threads:
    I'm touching myself as I write this post.
    I've noticed a few posts on here where DJ's mention preparing their sets in advance.

To what extent do you all do this?

And doen't it defeat the object a little?

2. djchoppa

djchoppa Real world? What's that?

Threads:
    I don't. I may have a few fave tracks of the moment that I'll fit in when it feels right, but apart from that, I just work on the feedback from the crowd. :Wink3:

3. Faction

Faction Proto-col

Threads:
    It's just a question of picking the right tunes and playing them in the right order.

Simple.

4. Full Lotus

Full Lotus Hob Nob King Staff Member

Threads:
    Nah, maybe take a selection of tunes for consideration to play, but that's about it. If you prepare a set, and then a DJ on before you plays one of the tracks that you were gonna play, sort of makes things a bit Pete Tong. Tried planning a set once way back about 7 years ago before a gig, but it just didn't feel right :Smile3:

5. forgotten

forgotten ..::mUnTsvillE::..

Threads:
    i sometime build the set and veigly work around it, i normally have the first 4 tunes written down. i havnt actually learnt how to read the croud yet seeing that i always play first on fushion theres never anyone on the floor ( im not quite sure if its me or not :S )

do any you guys have a certain method to picking your tunes? i know a few people have sets of 3 tunes that they remember, i always have a problem remembering the tunes though :S

rob :Grin:

6. Full Lotus

Full Lotus Hob Nob King Staff Member

Threads:
    Just learn 'em, also get a feel for the artists/labels etc and what kind of style they have, and then mix 'n' match at home before going out to play :Wink3: :peace:

7. norty303

norty303 Member (Todger)

Threads:
    I lik to grab 15 mins b4 my set to go through and pull out the tracks I think are going to fit right with the vibe along with the ones that I know I want to play so that once I'm mixing most of the tunes are easily available. I also write notes about new tracks on a piece of paper so even if I can only remember vaguely what they sound like I've got a pretty clear description of what they sound like/do. No substitute for knowing your tunes inside out tho....

8. djchoppa

djchoppa Real world? What's that?

Threads:
    The only time I select a particular set of tunes is if I'm recording to CD.

9. damion

damion Pound Shop Alex Petridis

Threads:
    what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
    save your silliest cover versions till the end, and dont blow your wad too early.

10. Red five

Red five jah mangled spanner

Threads:
    Prepare?

just know the tune, and what sounds like it.

11. Lam

Lam Guest

I just try and structure the set a bit and get harder and faster towards the end.

If using new CD's that I have listened to only once or twice but want to play them, I will put a note in the CD case such as 'play near end'.

If it's an important gig I sometimes pre-plan the first 3 tunes to give me time to get used to the equipment. :juggle:

12. Barclay (Dark Angel)

Barclay (Dark Angel) Ninja Hippy

Threads:
    I've done it all kinds of ways. e.g. My set at PsyProject was largely pre-planned, but my set at Psybernetic recently wasn't at all. I didn't even know which track I was going to put on 1st before I opened my CD case.

Why pre-planned at PsyProject? 'Cos the construction of it was so complicated. There were a lot of different styles and sounds. If I'd got it wrong, it would have sounded terrible. Psybernetic was more of a journey, so easier to do.

I write notes and give scores on neat little bits of paper which go with the individual CD sleeves in the case. They can be very useful. Cheating? Nah, I don't think so 'cos it helps my performance, which can't be bad. :Smile3:

Hugs,

Barclay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice