Do you worry about the future? (climate change etc)

O

oceanz

Eat Static's new album has a snippet about aliens labelling Earth as a Dead Planet. If it was me, I'd leave that sample out - on account of it being a pretty heavy idea to lay on folk who might be fairly wide open when they're listening. But, in the NinaSimone docu, she says something like, "what's the point of art if it doesn't reflect our situation?"

Hedflux has a more optimistic take, "I am really feeling this shift in consciousness now. Everyone I meet just “gets it”, we all know how fucked up and corrupt the system is, how the media and politicians are an absolute joke, we all know the way is love, we all want to heal and help and be of service to others, we all want to express ourselves creatively, and make beautiful gifts, but sometimes a lack of love around us makes us cynical, greedy or paranoid, and we think and do stupid things."

I guess the question for this thread is what would you tell a 10yr old about the future? There's a reasonable chance they'll grow up to see a 6C rise by 2100 which sounds alright on a rainy August afternoon here in South Wales - but even mainstream media reports, "a scenario which is so extreme it's almost unimaginable...Most of the planetary surface would be functionally uninhabitable...Agriculture would cease to exist everywhere, apart for the polar and sub-polar regions...the oceans would become oxygen-deficient, which would cause a mass extinction...So it's pretty much equivalent of a meteorite striking the planet, in terms of the overall impacts"
On 6 degrees of climate change (CNN)

Mark Lynas (quoted above) has kids himself and he says that, "it's important...not to make them think that somehow they're fundamentally doomed"

Sources of optimism might include recent steps by China and the US to try and curb emissions...but there's no real plan so far to just leave the fossil fuels in the ground.

I don't believe in global warming.

They change their mind every week.

Last I heard was that the sun is going to go into a cooling off period, and that we are at risk of going into an ice age.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11733369/Earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-within-15-years.html

I put the weather forecast on most mornings and most of the time they get that wrong! how can they tell me what will happen in 2100!

its all just media hype to keep us scared.

As a virus on the planet earth, we must clean up our act - 100%. But I can't see that ever happening.

Water and food shortages will kill us before the earth heating up.

Do I worry about the future?

f**k no. I'll be dead soon. I try to be as clean as I can recycling and all that, but what can one person do? I'm not going to worry about it. I have enough to worry about daily without what is going to happen 100 years from now. :Smile3:

I really do think there is a shift in conciousness. Being a conspiracy theorist for years, I've been ahead of the game for most of what people are thinking now. Yes, people are waking up to the reality of our situation, but we aint doing much about it are we?

I really have no faith in climate scientists. The earth has changed climate thousands of times in the past. I think there are just too many variables to consider when trying to work out how the climate is going to change.

ellipsism
n. sadness that you’ll never be able to know how history will turn out, that you’ll dutifully pass on the joke of being alive without ever learning the punchline—the name of the beneficiary of all human struggle, the sum of the final payout of every investment ever made in the future—which may not suit your sense of humor anyway and will probably involve how many people it takes to change a lightbulb."

- The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows...each definition is created by John Koenig, who unsurprisingly “enjoys piano jazz, deep image poetry, wines of indeterminate type, canyons and nostalgia”. He crafts each word for situations in which your average person might start a sentence with “words can’t describe how…”

Fair enough, we won't see all of the future, but there's a risk of hoffing away the implications of probable scenarios because they're a bit ick.

"Hoff
vb. To deny indignantly something which is palpably true."
- Meaning of Liff (Douglas Adams & John Lloyd)

- - -

I think I missed out on having kids, but seems like even with a half-life of 40yrs left, I'll see some pretty big changes on the planet. I very much doubt any of my niblings would ask me for anything like advice, but the 10yr old idea came from Interstellar & I'm not sure I'd be very good at pretending everything's going to be OK. Worrying doesn't change anything though, I should join the rising trend in ignoring it!

imrs.php

link

Last edited by a moderator:
its all just media hype to keep us scared...Being a conspiracy theorist for years, I've been ahead of the game for most of what people are thinking now.

The next president of the USA reckons the fuss was all made up by the Chinese.

Screen-Shot-2015-06-18-at-9.19.18-AM.png

David Icke and Alex Jones say it's a hoax too.

But...there's another perspective - that it's in the financial interests of fossil fuels companies to spread doubt.

"The Koch Brothers have sent at least $79,048,951 to groups denying climate change science since 1997" Greenpeace.org

You have to question what climate scientists are being asked:

is it:

do you think man is the SOLE responsible input to climate change?

or

Do you think man is a contributing factor to climate change?

I bet the question is the latter.

The climate has changed over the past 4 billion years regardless of man. I'm not saying we should continue as we are - fuck no! - I'm saying no one actually KNOWS what the issues are. We may have a few warm years, then a few cold. THAT'S climate.

All that shite al gore reported on was bollocks. ask yourself how much he made off that. always follow the cash.

Does all the money raised by "green tax" get pumped into saving the environment? I seriously doubt that.

I'm not a denier that says we should all carry on as we are - I want a greener planet.

I think that our government should invest HEAVILY into green technology. Make the UK the world's best producers of renewable energy technology and export it to the world.

the world is f*cked isn't it? "In all, 140 foundations funneled $558 million to almost 100 climate denial organizations from 2003 to 2010."

but then you have that university "cooking" the books to make climate change worse than it is. It's hard to decide what is the truth sometimes.

Eat Static's new album has a snippet about aliens labelling Earth as a Dead Planet. If it was me, I'd leave that sample out - on account of it being a pretty heavy idea to lay on folk who might be fairly wide open when they're listening. But, in the NinaSimone docu, she says something like, "what's the point of art if it doesn't reflect our situation?"

Hedflux has a more optimistic take, "I am really feeling this shift in consciousness now. Everyone I meet just “gets it”, we all know how fucked up and corrupt the system is, how the media and politicians are an absolute joke, we all know the way is love, we all want to heal and help and be of service to others, we all want to express ourselves creatively, and make beautiful gifts, but sometimes a lack of love around us makes us cynical, greedy or paranoid, and we think and do stupid things."

I guess the question for this thread is what would you tell a 10yr old about the future? There's a reasonable chance they'll grow up to see a 6C rise by 2100 which sounds alright on a rainy August afternoon here in South Wales - but even mainstream media reports, "a scenario which is so extreme it's almost unimaginable...Most of the planetary surface would be functionally uninhabitable...Agriculture would cease to exist everywhere, apart for the polar and sub-polar regions...the oceans would become oxygen-deficient, which would cause a mass extinction...So it's pretty much equivalent of a meteorite striking the planet, in terms of the overall impacts"
On 6 degrees of climate change (CNN)

Mark Lynas (quoted above) has kids himself and he says that, "it's important...not to make them think that somehow they're fundamentally doomed"

Sources of optimism might include recent steps by China and the US to try and curb emissions...but there's no real plan so far to just leave the fossil fuels in the ground.

Oceanz - Going with that title was a difficult one for me but i went with what i feel as always..yes,its heavy cos that whats i felt when i was making it..constantly reading about greed,corruption,animals going extinct,people starving..all this in the 21st century!! But the whole 'concept' and point was supposed to be balanced by cd2 being 'human upgrade' meaning people need to start thinking about whats around them and the state of the planet..i'e.expanding consciousness...doing their bit.whatever ya wanna call it..meeting and playing to the people and crowds i meet is still a massive joy and the optimism and love and shared ideas feels stronger now than it ever has..people are getting sick of things and i hope i am on the frontline in helping people move forwards and be positive and help others and build a better place..sometimes shock can work better than the idealistic 'hippy approach' (er which i have also done several times...ahem) another point to add as you mention young children..most of my friends have been bringing their young up in fantastic positive ways and been encouraging them to think outside the box...and to be a good person so the future aint all bad..to me,its all about the building blocks of a person knowing inside when they are being good or whether they are doing bad shit..simple morals and human feelings..too many people are the centre of their own universes and dont give 2 fucks about anyone else...

whens the next Dendron album coming out Merv? I need Night Drive!

I think that humans might not yet have evolved to perceive long-term issues as threats, at least to some extent.

Here an interesting article on CC perception around the world.

You have to question what climate scientists are being asked:

is it:

do you think man is the SOLE responsible input to climate change?

or

Do you think man is a contributing factor to climate change?

I bet the question is the latter.

The climate has changed over the past 4 billion years regardless of man. I'm not saying we should continue as we are - fuck no! - I'm saying no one actually KNOWS what the issues are. We may have a few warm years, then a few cold. THAT'S climate.

All that shite al gore reported on was bollocks. ask yourself how much he made off that. always follow the cash.

Does all the money raised by "green tax" get pumped into saving the environment? I seriously doubt that.

I'm not a denier that says we should all carry on as we are - I want a greener planet.

I think that our government should invest HEAVILY into green technology. Make the UK the world's best producers of renewable energy technology and export it to the world.

the world is f*cked isn't it? "In all, 140 foundations funneled $558 million to almost 100 climate denial organizations from 2003 to 2010."

but then you have that university "cooking" the books to make climate change worse than it is. It's hard to decide what is the truth sometimes.

I dont think I have ever read a bigger amount of generalist bollocks in one post only, spirituality section included.
Here's the answer to your questions
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/

Thanks for that link janinho, interesting reading.

I also found this interesting:

http://globalclimate.ucr.edu/resources.html

what do you (all people reading this post) think causes those spikes?

something seems to happen every 100k years.

interesting.

and on a different note, when is that strontium dogs album coming out Merv?

I tell the children to dig. Dig a for the future. Dig the network of subterranean tunnels that you and future generation will need to live in whilst the dead world above heals it's self after our civilisations demise. Also try to avoid turning in to blue hairy cave monsters who can't cope with sunlight.

what do you (all people reading this post) think causes those spikes?

something seems to happen every 100k years.

I think they're to do with cycles in the orbit of earth - like there's one rhythm where our path oscillates more/less of an ellipse, and another one to do with the axis of rotation of earth itself wobbling a bit like a spinning top on an angle. To be honest I just sort of go with mainstream science about whether we're in a pickle or not.

Royal Society - A short guide to climate science is worth a read. But, there might be a couple of reasons to question whether their call that we should only expect a 1m sea level rise this century is valid too - those models don't take into account any tipping points like methane release from permafrost and also geological records seem to show evidence of rapid step-wise climate change rather than nice gentle transitions.

i went with what i feel as always
It was poor form of me to be critical - I'm pretty much just like the grumps in the box heckling rather than making any contribution to the MuppetShow. In the recent past, I've dissed Ott (for using samples of words from cultures not-understood), moaned about nearly all of psytrance (over-shot fun tempos for dancing) and claimed that psybient makes me feel like I'm drowning in syrup.

I'm mostly an over-sensitive lightweight and I sort of imagine music's potential lying around being a source of nourishment, wonder and awe. Then again, I'm not super in-touch with getting angry...I dunno, I was watching a heart-breaking docu last night "Call me Kuchu" and I had a thought that psymusic could be like our safe refuge rather a shout at the mean folk outside. But, it sort of grates too when I hear music's that made for the mean folk - I guess lots of EDM and pop turns me off.

My partner's favourite band is Megadeth and it's been interesting to hear more 'rage against the machine' vibe - but from within, same with spiky techno, it just sounds a bit abrasive to me. Everyone's different I guess. For me maybe listening to something beautiful recharges me to be more assertive in my personal life, more inspired to find wonder in the world around me and dream of being creative.

whilst the dead world above heals it's self after our civilisations demise
Ah, we could totally turn things around and happy ever after etc still. But, to be honest, I can't see it happening...I had a neat day out at the zoo the other day and seals had been trained to do a jump at a ball for fish snacks. In our world we've mostly cash incentivised the most socially and environmentally harmful things to do - so it's quite a big shift to swing round to something nicer and more long-term. It kinda all feels like a train without much track left, accelerating in the hope that it'll all be ok somehow - and maybe it will - ProfBrianCox is a clever dude and he's hopeful nuclear fusion is close to being up to meet our energy needs.

I'm not too sure what to make of the whole Zeitgeist film series...but I did like some of the ideas of, I think he was a sort of visionary architect - Jacques Fresco. I can't quickly find the clip - but seems like this has some of his ideas (I've not watched thru yet - I liked the dude but not sure about rest of ideas in this or other links). The bit in Zeitgeist with him was proposing an organising system with monitoring resources for needs of all as top priority.

ah & here's a snippet from Zeitgeist III - Moving Forward

I like some longview science-fiction. Olaf Stapledon's First and Last Men is a decent read - makes an attempt at imagining us on our journey from here to 2billion years in the future. Ursula Le Guinn makes me think a lot too - there's stories about distant futures and different ways society might be - sort of a bit like how Gulliver's Travels is really satire about now - it's just interesting to flesh out how things could be different sometime/place else.

Back