don't forget to be yourself

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
hi all,

this is just a funny meandering werthers-original kind of thread. mainly because work is deathly dull & there are only so many fantasy kit lists you can construct in a day :ibiggrin:

i've been listening to a lot of new music lately. and it's invariably very good - no bumlicking, but we are priviliged to operate in such a diverse and creatively powerful scene. yay for us! *shakes booty*.

but the one thing which leaps out at me when i am listening is... distinction. presence. personality.

like a dog's tail, or a thought at the end of a heavy psychedelic session, distinction in music is something that slips further away the harder you try to grasp it. the more you try to be different, the less successful you are.

we all basically work within a predefined framework. there are things that work and things that don't, and the continually evolving state of shared knowledge means that people pick up on them pretty quickly. we are, in a sense, all expressing ourselves and capturing our ideas through the same pre-existing lens, i.e. 'psytrance production'.

sometimes i find that after reading a lot of threads on isra or wherever, i begin to carry over more than just guidance and advice. i'll be making a noise and part of me will remember that someone once said that they hate such-and-such in psy tracks, and i'll frown and take it out because i automatically assume that almost everyone knows more than me. and the thing is almost everyone does know more... but that has little or no bearing on the meaning of my music, to myself or others.

it's easy - for me anyway - to veer away from doing what i enjoy and what moves me to fretting about other people. there's a vast gap between absolute self-indulgence on the one hand and common-denominator-paint-by-proven-numbers on the other; and no-one should work at either extreme. but what i find bothers me is when i realise i have been forgetting about what makes me smile in favour of concerns that my output won't be considered 'pro', or 'banging', or 'psy'.

you will never really subjectively experience your music. the closest i came was earlier this year i was in a friend's car on the other side of the world, and they stuck in a CD of mine without telling me. this was probably one of the first psytrance tracks i had ever made. and you know what? i wasn't thinking 'hmm, listen to how flabby the bass is... and how ill-defined the kick drum is. what a rubbish track!'. well, not at first... what i was thinking was wow - that sounds really cool. not in an egotistical way, because i was aware of its limitations, but hearing it anew reminded me of the huge gap that exists between our ideals and our realisations.

most of us have regular contact with people who aren't producers. and most of us are borderdline OCD when it comes to tweaking sounds, re-editing basslines, re-configuring the tiniest detail of a tiny automation when in reality no-one but us will ever be able to hear the difference. and that's no bad thing. but it's important to get some perspective occasionally... ask someone who doesn't produce and you'll probably find that lame snare roll you thought was so track-ruiningly awful barely even registers. it's the same way an 8 year old astral projection track will comfortably hold its own against a brand new full-on release in a mix: because, like someone on this forum said - nothing sounds as good as a good idea.

so i wanted to remind myself that above all i am me. and to encourage other people to remember as well :Smile3:. anyone can buy Vanguard, impOSCar, and a Nord. almost anyone can throw together a chunksome octave-based moving bassline. almost anyone can source the killargh hi-hats that Xerox uses.

but only one person can be YOU (or, in the case of collabs, only [X] people can be Group Y :Wink3:). and really, that's what i'm most interested in hearing - you. your ideas, your passions, your wicked side, your hopes, your trips - whatever it is that inspires you, drives you, moves you: that's what i want to hear, because it's the most genuine and sincere moments which are always the most memorable.

I think you need to stop thinking about things so much and need to stop reading what people on Isratrance say since there are an awful lot of idiots posting there, that have no idea what they are talking about.
And Xerox's hats are shite, why would you wanna use them in your tracks?

Joking. I have listened to a few Xerox (& Illumination I think it was?) tunes but I simply didn't like that music at all, so I didn't actually pay attention to the hi-hats.

twas just an example - i haven't actually ever knowingly heard any Xerox tracks myself.

anyway you get an exception, you can be your mum and not yourself :Wink3: :Smile3:

since i started writing music (aged 11.. a fews ago now :Wink3:) i've always written music for one person to listen to - me. thats not to say i haven't been heavily influenced by other people's music along the way, but pretty much all of my tunes are the sort of thing i'd want to hear if i was out clubbing.

maybe self indulgant, but then again maybe not, my music is supposed to be an expression of me... or summit like that...

I always try and remember the different feelings I have when I'm dancing, and try to capture them in my tunes.

nice post AEON
though, should i believe you really give the credit to all of us? you really care what evryones about here?

i have my days, i to from time to time pick old tracks, sometimes i laugh sometimes i feel pleasured even inspired...

tough subject to resume here in a couple of words, all my work is above all a report of my living self, a report of an indescribable state, on a virgin and unknown world, its ruled by smaller and bigger living beings who comunicate beetween themselfs using unknown languages, who are indiferent to my presence... cool?

don't forget to be yourself

i just d'like to add, <go ahead, call me sissy> i still go "goose bumps" when i listen these favourite old cds... :ikiss:

Actually, having read the original post away from work in more than thirty seconds at work when I'm not allowed to be online, there are things that I'd bear in mind.

What has really helped me in recent weeks, where suddenly, I feel I've had a breakthrough in production are:

1) Creativity is a process of Limitation (right at the start)
2) Work fast and then fine tune (negates forced ideas and doing what you don't enjoy)
3) Add the OCD touches after the structure of the whole track is finished
4) Play to your strengths. After a year of trying, I am now clear in my own head I can't write fluffy morning tracks even though I'd love too. I write twisted, nasty night time psy. And I'm good at it too. Why would I want to write in a genre I am just not as talented in?
5) Never, Ever, Ever give up on a track.

For me music (and creative arts in general) has become a complete addiction... if I can't write music for a week or two (e.g. i'm on holiday or something) - the mental change is very obvious, I get easily angered... generally moody... and it feels like something is very close to exploding out of my brain - and then I feel down :Sad:..

For me music, particularly electronic music (as you have complete control over each sound, as well as the melodies) , is such a personal thing it's the product of my brain... each sound is one which i've made to fit the idea I had in my head... and the way I write tracks also shows this, in that as soon as I know I've got that sound that's been in my head for the last two days, i'll bounce it down (and work on final e.q.ing and tweaking in audio) no deleting of tracks, no moving around - it stays there, and becomes part of the my linear style of composition... the sound has been in that part of that tune in my brain the whole time, just not in the sequencer and this happens both in psytrance, and in the other kinds of music which I write.

However, the previous sections of a track can also inspire you to write more, one section of track can lead on to another section being written because it feels completely "right" in that place...

That's not to say however that other music doesn't inspire me too... if I hear a beautiful/wicked sound, or a beautiful/wicked chord progression I will want to use it - if something gives me goospimples i will want to 'cite' it.
That doesn't mean I incorporate it in exactly the same context - but instead that i use whichever aspect of that part of that piece of music that made me tingle and twist it into the shape that fits within the musical puzzle of my brain... and tbh on the scale of things i get inspired mostly by other forms of music rather than psytrance mostly - However some psy tracks have inspired me hugely...
I'm making no claims that my music is wholly original in every way, it's very difficult for music to be... but i hope that the ideas which come across are original, and that there's something there which is different from other artists (who are in turn also all different from eachother)...

For me since the beginning when I started making music, the point was to be able to make the sounds and melodies that were in my head screaming to get out - which is why when i was 12 i stopped using eJay and jumped onto the Reason bandwagon :Smile3:... and then 2 years later hopped onto the cubase shizznit!...
The rest of what I've learnt is due to wanting to refine and expand on the sound, make my ideas crystal clear...

Of course though, vital inspiration comes from the opinions of others... if you're making dance music THE most important thing is for the dancers to enjoy themselves... not for the artist to stand on stage feeling smug about playing there... However, in this way I cater for myself as well as others, making things I know I'd love to dance to :Grin:... I spend many hours in my room "Boogie Testing" the music I'm working on to see if I like it hehe :P... and I hope that my opinion is shared by others too...

Anyway, I realise this post may sound hopelessly egotistical... but it is in no way intended, this is just for me what is most important about creating music :Smile3:

BeatNik said:
when i was 12 i stopped using eJay and jumped onto the Reason bandwagon :Smile3:...

shit, reason came out when you were 12!???

damn im getting old.

Bring on the battle for the future techno-electro wizards!

I wanna see a pregnant woman on stage with electrodes attached to her swollen belly with the un-born infant playing to a global-network of gaian minds high-wired to infinity!

Only then will I rest...

Colin OOOD said:
Mate I'm teaching it to 11-year olds in schools.

FFS.

There's one kid I teach who uses Logic at home. He's 11 too. He scares me.

*cue 'damion' music*

Colin OOOD said:
Mate I'm teaching it to 11-year olds in schools.

FFS.

There's one kid I teach who uses Logic at home. He's 11 too. He scares me.

can he roll spliffs with one hand only? :irazz:

:icool:

nicknick said:
can he roll spliffs with one hand only? :irazz:

:icool:

From what I've heard, not only can he roll spliffs with one hand, but he can roll them using merely his index finger...

This child's fingers are capable of rotating themselves to allow minimum effort when he is tweaking... he thus rotates the spliff around his one finger, so fast that it glues itself together...

Absolutely mental he is...

Well... don't know him personally but this is what I've heard from Colin :irazz:

Back