Downloading tunes

Skenkl

Reaction score
What are peoples view on this subject?

Do you see it a good aspect as producers that your tunes can be heard and access by lots of people, and thus making your name known to to a wider audience!!

If look at the other end of the scale to the big names, in the scene, where many of us im sure including myself inspire to be. Many people are just downloading the albums, tunes off the net, and not buying them!! I know its not about the money, its about the love for the music you create, BUT, to make a living from it would not be a bad thing, and is this being jepodised by the internet!!

Is it affecting record labels too?

:crowd:

I think you'll find most people on this forum are firmly against downloading tunes - lots of artists on here.

It certainly seems to have harmed sales for labels, too. You're probably lucky if you sell 300 CDs worldwide, these days...

Pretty much any psy cd you buy nowadays has a:
Copy kills your music
thanx for not copying
thanx for buying original etc, etc.
The whole things had a devastating effect on the smaller labels unforutnately, who in my opinion bring out the better non-commercial side of psytrance. Saying that making music should be made for the love and not the money is not very logical, and a bit idealistic, as the hardware involved costs a crap load, and no amount of cd sales are really gonna pay that off, unless of course you got dodge software......
MP3's are ok to promote newbie producers like on mp3.com, but after that, I wouldn't like to listen to any of the more layerd music out there in mp3 format, but on cd with all sounds and effects present.

This discussion has been on many a time.
Personally what do I think? - if it sounds great it's good to get heard.
Remember the quality is 1 thing but the distribution dictates whether tunes get heard.
Thanks to artists who send us their tracks to hear here-in support of open source and against propriatry listing.
I'm sure all the big sites make money on ppl who dl mp3's - get a tracker - so perhaps the arguement is more directed at comissions of dl's per artist paid out by sharesites.
:ph34r:

fuck me!! subbie what's wrong, the sentences are beautifully construed, perfect spelling etc...

are you feeling okay? :P

The truth is that the real villians of the piece are not the file traders (though I suspect there are a few among their number), but the global media mega-conglomerates that stifle the distribution of original music in favour of bland pap which devalues the recording industry as a whole. People seem to forget that it was only until very recently that even successful musicians (as in a recording and publishing deal, plus healthy record sales) would be out playing most nights (certainly most weekends) to earn a crust - only the global megastars would be able to make a living from record sales alone.

It's true that online sharing has had a negative impact on legitimate music sales, but at the same time it's the big media firms and record industry middlemen who have been taking the lion's share of the money earned by the sale of an artist's material - compared to the cut they take, the amount lost by filesharing is pennies. Some artists are actually starting to wake up to the fact that their labels are fucking them harder than any kid on Napster/KaZaA/SoulSeek ever did - and hopefully this will become common knowledge over time.

Personally, if I ever got to the point where I got to put a CD out, I'd have no trouble with people trying before they bought - as long as they did get around to buying it eventually.

J.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yogi @ Jan 14 2004, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> fuck me!! subbie what's wrong, the sentences are beautifully construed, perfect spelling etc...

are you feeling okay? :P [/quote:539fc2ddb1]
Aaaaahahahaha! Brilliant ` :hehe: :smokingr:

the file traders (though I suspect there are a few among their number)

never mind all this mccarthyite "suspecting there are a few among our number" .... I'll happily stand up and admit to filesharing

I cant be fucked with this hiding and pretending i dont do it and disapprove of it on forums. Yes i download pirate psy cds (amongst all sorts of other stuff). I wouldnt do it if I hadnt weighed up the moral aspects carefully in my head, and having done that, and been satisfied with myself, it would then seem an immorality to lie and be ashamed of it. so, i wont.

anyway.... for me its something like this:

number of psy events in my city per year : 0
number of psy events in the next city per year : 1 if i'm lucky
number of shops selling psy in my area : 0
number of people i know in my area who like psy : 0
number of radio stations broadcasting psy i can recieve: 0

in this situation, how else is a relative newcomer to the genre like me supposed to discover new music, keep on top of which new releases are worth buying, which new artists worth checking out, etc, other than by using the internet?

true, i could just go to review sites like goatrance.free.fr and see what people say. but, i did that before once. under entheogenic there were multiple rave reviews declaring anybody who liked shpongle would LOVE this. so i shelled out my cash (which is literally nonexistent, given how indebted i am) and recieved a cd which i hated. blargh. i could see the shpongle link , alright - it was just that i saw it as a bunch of people who dug shpongle and set out to make a half-baked copy of it, but lacking all the brilliant melodies, classy musicianship, technically flawless production and innovative studio skullduggery.

i'm very fussy. of the hundreds of cassettes, vinyls and cds i have bought over the years, i probably listen to a few dozen these days. money is at an extreme premium, so i dont want to be buying stuff i dont like.

so i got onto p2p. and met much the same thing. 15 people saying "ooh you must download such-and-such a release, best cd of the year, its KILLER, etc", which i find to be an epitome of mediocrity. but in every 10 or so recommendations, something comes up good. not a problem. buy the good one, delete the other 9.

so for the 1, my filesharing was a good thing, because in me they got one more customer than they would have done without it.

i guess its harsher on the other 9 - i heard their complete cd, once, without paying anything. but at least i had theopportunity to hear their music and see if it was worth buying, whereas otherwise i simply would not.

anyway... yeah... thats me

and if it tempers people's response to these views, bear in mind that i have tracks signed, and when they are released, i will (a) overall, probably lose money thanks to filesharing, but (B) continue to apply this same philosophy to those filesharers who download from my tracks (ie, implicity condone it, on the hope that if they like my music, and listen to it a lot, they will buy it)

aside from anything else this is total pragmatism. technologically speaking p2p cannot be put back in the bottle, and it will also outstrip legal attempts to crush it. its here. its a new world order. deal with it.

as an old chinese man once reputedly said:

he who feels the wind of change should construct not a windbreak, but a windmill

I'm with Simon on this one:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Simon Posford)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thanks to all who support us by actually buying the records, not just downloading it.
The music business is on it's knees, and sometimes it is hard for a small label to make a profit... personally i think mp3s sound shit anyway, and would rather people heard the quality of mastering that goes into a CD... we don't spend all that money for nothing![/quote:65cc6710b6]

You can see the full text of his message on Isratrance here.

Oh dear.....Here we go again.

The words "Opened A You've Worms Can" spring to mind.

:ph34r:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin OOOD @ Jan 14 2004, 09:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I'm with Simon on this one:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Simon Posford)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thanks to all who support us by actually buying the records, not just downloading it.
The music business is on it's knees, and sometimes it is hard for a small label to make a profit... personally i think mp3s sound shit anyway, and would rather people heard the quality of mastering that goes into a CD... we don't spend all that money for nothing![/quote:96f43efee5]
[/quote:96f43efee5]
Yeah, me too.

Hell, I've even bought CD's that I've appeared on, 'cos the record companies were too hard up to send me a freebie!

My as yet unpublished theory is this.

There's 2 sorts of people will download tunes...

1. The skint bugger who wouldn't have bought the CD anyway, 'cos they don't have the money. Therefore the record company hasn't lost out.

2. The person like me that would like to check out as much as possible before wasting loads of money on a shit CD. I bought too many albums in the early 90's that had only the one good track on them, and I stopped buying. Now I'm glad I don't get stung like this any more. Because I actually now buy more CD's 'cos I know I'm gonna like every CD I buy, the record company gains

3. The arsehole who can afford to buy, but downloads music anyway 'cos he can get something for nothing. The record company loses out.

(That's 2 sorts of people and one sort of arsehole). :P

I personally can't believe there's enough arseholes in 3 to outweigh those people in 2 , and I suspect that 99% of those that download are in 1

Don't you think that market saturation is most likely to blame for the hard times? Simply too many CD's competing for your hard-earned wonga?

I'm very, very against downloading music.

I have 37 psy/ambient/dub CDs, at roughly 15 dollars a CD that is $555. Whole lot of money for just listening. I buy them because I want to support the artists who make them and as an amateur musician I understand the amount of time, money and creativity that goes into making music.

Plus CDs sound better!

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soliptic @ Jan 14 2004, 07:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
the file traders (though I suspect there are a few among their number)

never mind all this mccarthyite "suspecting there are a few among our number" .... I'll happily stand up and admit to filesharing [/quote:488dff75b8]
As do I (I'm in Chris's category 1).

What I meant by the sentence you quote wasn't that there are filetraders among our number (I know full well there are, because I'm one - mostly deleted stuff that you just *can't* buy anymore mind. I download some psy stuff, but only as a 'try before purchase' thing). What I meant was that there are some filetraders who are completely selfish about it and don't put anything back in (villains amongst the filetraders, *not* filetraders among forum peeps :Wink3: ).

And Reconstructed - when you earn £900 a month after tax, your rent is about £500, bills and student debt amount to about £250, and it costs £75 a month to pay for transport to and from work (And then you've got to feed yourself), CD's start to look very much like luxury items* (though I agree they do sound better).

J.

*Despite this, ever since starting work, I do buy a few Psy CDs every couple of months, because I do believe in the scene, like the music, and know full well that it's the corporate music world that deserves a shafting, not small independents.

Even mp3's encoded at 256 are going to sound wrong on a big sound system, the compression has got to effect it somewhere (i.e. extreme top and bottom end).

If you are at home downloading ALL your tunes then you are damaging our small industry.. and the little labels will suffer.

But If you are a DJ playing all copied tunes then you are pushing an inferior sound, and for music which is based on futuristic sounds and forward pushing production (as well as soul, rhythm and melody etc..) that is just wrong...

Sharing stuff is cool for ideas and promotion but not for my ears on a big rig!

What get's me is the attempts by the big record labels to stop people downloading tunes. Adverts featuring the likes of Kylie and Robbie. People how don’t actually need to work another day in their lives. This is meant to appeal to the 12-13 year olds who make up most of the market but frankly is just patronising. Recently the new download charts have come in to existence and they show that through the net people are buying the music that they want rather than the music they are told that they want. So dose this mean that in the future the internet will be even more so flooded with adverts popping up telling us to bye this CD or that CD. Most definitely. CDs may well become the VHS to the DVD virtual Internet sales. I don’t know if this will mean good news for the small time music maker or bad but It will definitely become harder to get free music in the futer as the big dinosaur like labels catch up and try to monopolies the net.

Few I’m nakerd now.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (psyfi @ Jan 15 2004, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Few I’m nakerd now. [/quote:f29a52cfb8]
Breathe in....

B)
Hoi check my spelling immaculate now.

Personally Oi have bought enough vinyl to DL music for the rest of eternity.

Mp3's are a poor rendition of the musical form best expressed and stored in the groove of vinyl - so music industry eat your heart out because you will never learn as long as hardcore will never die! {Rising High}

:hehe:

i was a vinyl purist

but it sucks, its heavy, poor quality (yes it is) crap stereo imaging and degrades at high speed, wish it had never exsited really

Back