Drone / Beatless / Ambient

Agreed.
I must say if i'm just listening to music for the sake of listening (ie, not planning a set, checking a demo etc), then Ambient is the go-to, for sure....
:Smile3:

Check out this chaps mixes

https://soundcloud.com/solitude

Lots of the new ambient that is coming out of the Dubstep scene. Think Burials ambient stuff then take it from there. Loads of nice, yet slightly melancholy textures in these mixes, most beatless. Some classical and classics (Aphex Twin) in there too. Some of the mixes go through into the more 2-step and some proper garage side of things but that's all good with me.

Sangam and Orlogin (I think Manchester based) also do lots of nice post dubstep ambient stuff too. I'm loathe to use the term night bus as a genre. Check out Night Tracks http://night-tracks.com/

night bus? is that really a genre name??

I have seen it written...nonsense though

its almost breathtaking in its banality. I thought future bass was a bad genre name, but this takes the bourbon & dashes to the hills at warp speed.

Any idea on what the fuck its trying to say or mean?

Dunno really. To be honest I think it's something I saw in the guardian, they probably tried to make it up themselves. It does sound like a wet, dark city night to me, this style, and I guess others feel similar and decided they would lump the awful term with that sound. Either way I do like that sort of ambient coming out of part of the dubstep scene...

(this track starts a couple of recent mr scruff mixes. It's from a fresh album by half of the cinematic orchestra. link )

- just tweeted about by tom middleton "Anyone need the edges taking off their tuesday? This 40 minute space exploration is doing it for us!" I've never heard of this artist before. more info

actually, the link is maybe a little over-ripe on it? has wandered a bit into woo-woo territory for me...especially with the preset meanderings around 8'30" - but the pure ambience drifts are quality in places. In fact the chillage of it is decent - in a sort of vangelis/ultimae fusion style. hmmm. another artist to explore anyway.

That same soundstrue website also lists a bluetech & craig kohland release not featured via their bandcamp pages.
I bought a real CD of it from them a while ago and it's very fine - pulsing and grounded with some fairly straight beats but lush with it too - defo reveals more after repeated listens. prana pulse

aHyNHMV3ld9vj0drgwVnc1mb_500.jpg
Charlie Parker's Private Hell - Gary Larson

- but then again, maybe there's more to decent new age music than Steve Hillage & Miquette Giraudy?

mixmaster morris once suggested Deuter as another credible new-age artist but I've not investigated

I am developing a taste for some terry riley though - perhaps filed more near classical minimalism?

I took his poppy no good out on a daytrip a while ago & it defo worked somehow

I think as a teenager I was a bit against 'beautiful' music because I associated it with over-polished pop and sought out more alternative sounds...but some lushness and colour can work exceptionally well in over-threshold tripping experiences too - so there's a sort of hidden underground scene of psychedelic beauty maybe

sigh...I sometimes think a whole generation of fierce psytrance makers / industrial illbient etc are still stuck thinking like a teenager that challenging intensity is always where it's at. break on through to the other side as jim morrison might say...Or embrace the primula aesthetic as said by the Gentle People : ) "they have colour in their eyes...and they love..."

this is a classic tune. a rework from miles davis' in a silent way by his keyboardist joe zawinul

peace out.

namlook tribute comp

polymorphic convolutions - there's actually a couple of lush 'hidden' ISHQ live in tokyo tracks as part of the download
spirit of la selva - a bluetech compiled album
sync24 - this is half of carbon-based-lifeform and bit more midtempo styles but some lovely bits all the same
within reason - more chill dub tech vibes. perhaps a bit like p.laoss ? here's him in 5star chill mode p.laoss (somnia)
native planet - features mighty fine house tempo track by gaiana - super lush with it tho - plus decent chillage
another unrelated but quality release sharing that name is by invader tron
eiten reiter - half of loud in QUIET mood. for balance: 10reasons we fell in love with psytrance
manmademan - theophany just beautiful
enuui - mindstate disposition - track 7 from that features greg hunter & mauxuam ^epic vid above : )
greg hunter & mauxuam (along with ishq and master margherita etc) were cloudcycle (i think ishq is on indus)
loscil - his first narrows album is fairly essential. rhian sheehan - amazing textures in amongst
loscil & bvdub - this album's grown on me a bit - subtle nuanced shimmering layers - but enveloping too
dadavistic orchestra is PWOG and black dog and an intense listen - sharp in places maybe but still intriguing
v-i-r-t-u-a-l home of ISHQ
t.x.t home to lee anthony norris (metamatics etc) - info about project with ishq - ishqamatics
signer - i think loscil released on signer's involve recs - more dub tech but lush too e.g. B02
stormloop - found via namlook tribute collector (and also runs label that erebus released on)

helios

great selection here nionn!! love the txt recordings - the mick chillage album is wonderful.
cheers for the love too! (everyone :Smile3: ! )

i've just released a new ep

https://enuui.bandcamp.com/album/n-gin-reshaped

a0630574001_2.jpg

two original ambient pieces by myself, and four remixes inna variety of styles from griff, zen baboon, beatfarmer, & clearlight.

enjoi amigos!

currently working on some lovely textures given to me by ishq. so we'll see how that develops :Smile3:

...and very nice it is too.

To be honest mate, I know we've spoken a few time, but i'm shite at SoundCloud, I hate it.
Where else can we keep in touch? ...I always enjoy your tunes and think, "ah....I should keep more in touch" , and then don't cos I hate Soundcloud haha :Smile3:

yep! if needed enuui aaaaat enuui d0t 0rG ::Smile3:
hope you're doing alright!

I'm astonished when some of this music is made in real time - 'months of preparation' it says about that Steve Roach (is that a made up second name?)

and then to still include sponteneity. I read ISHQ recent projects are moving into this fluidity too. I'm baffled at how they suss out mixing/details as it's unfolding.

I think Robert Leiner made his Source album as a live session - perhaps even to sidestep over-editing of it all?

Woah - 127 listings for Steve roach discogs! He should spend more time riding his bicycle / dancing instead.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/12974-Steve-Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
Oceanz.....ishq's philosophy is to create art (of the musical variety) in the manner of a zen painting. When you have a lot of experience and knowledge under your belt, you can then put all that to one side, enter into the moment and then you can create a painting with just the right flick of the wrist. Same with ambient music production. When you know in your mind which reverb to use, which synth to use for a particular sound, how to do decent volume gates etc then you can put that away and just focus on the sound and the space that is putting you into.

The other significant thing is to have confidence to let the music be and to let things breathe. It's easy to think you have to do something complicated, but people tend to react to music that comes from the heart. When I first tried to. start writing music in that fluid way I would play it to matt and he would say ' take that out ' to lots of elements, basically leaving me with a bed of sound that I could then subtly embellish. After a while I started to get it. Subtle shifts in sounds, plenty of reverb,lots of volume fading to create a sense of movement and a willingness to play about and experiment. The 2 most important things in that style of loose music though are probably to 1)turn the metronome OFF and 2) to filter and eq massive reverbs.

a lot of my music, especially my first album 'appeared' in real time - all sounds were sequenced whilst recording loads of fx chains already set up to macros and other midi controls.
i find i have no recollection of any processes in any music i've made, which is a bit discerning but i guess it means its coming straight out of the moment.

listening to lots of ishq and loscil before hand helps these unknown processes :Smile3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back