Drone / Beatless / Ambient

Display Copy
Ha! I'll knock that one off the forthcoming rec list, then. :lol: Question: is it just me or does the last track have a Lifeforms vibe to your ears? Meanwhile, some other ambient I have enjoyed this week:

Helm. I’d been meaning to go on a dig of his back catalogue for ages and though I still have a way to go, discovered some good stuff so far. The dude likes his found sound as much as he does synths, so there’s a nice range of material and always an organic quality to it for this reason, even when he gets quite spacey and/or dark. For a while, everything was NYP, but I missed the boat with that and most have now returned to full price. However, his latest track as posted below was one of my favourites and that’s still a freebie. I also picked up Chrysalid, Cryptography and Impasse for the minimum suggested, so plenty for y’all to get stuck into if pandemic funds remain tight.

Darker and more experimental still is this release, my favourite aspect of which is that, much like the cover art, it straddles urban and organic seamlessly, past and present too, at least to my ears. One minute you’re deep in the reverberating tunnels of a modern city, the next on the banks of an algae pond under dappled skies. I nearly chose Flowering for this post, because the eerie vocal sample really stuck in my head, but going with the shimmering – shivering? - Ouija for the nod to avant garde traditions in its use of prepared piano (or what sounds like one).

Last but not least, really digging a bit of Green-House at the moment. Less experimental than the previous recs and by extension more accessible, perhaps, does what it says on the tin – sounds of nature juxtaposed with throbbing synths and melodic percussion, kinda like Node in places, but with added birdsong. Very soothing.

Helm is great! He finds himself sort of sandwiched between the punkier noise acts and the more "academic" soundscapey stuff a la Fennesz, Olympic Mess was a masterpiece, I think.

Darker and more experimental still is this release, my favourite aspect of which is that, much like the cover art, it straddles urban and organic seamlessly, past and present too, at least to my ears. One minute you’re deep in the reverberating tunnels of a modern city, the next on the banks of an algae pond under dappled skies. I nearly chose Flowering for this post, because the eerie vocal sample really stuck in my head, but going with the shimmering – shivering? - Ouija for the nod to avant garde traditions in its use of prepared piano (or what sounds like one).

Oh wow this is actually mine! Stuck it up recently in the name of archiving old work, but told no-one and wasn't really expecting anyone to listen, let alone like it. Can't tell you how happy this post makes me! :Grin:

In turn, this makes me happy. Loved it, dude, especially the two cited tracks. That sort of grainy, slightly otherworldly environmental stuff is right up my street, plus I have a proper soft spot for haunted pianos. Sucked me right in.

Currently rocking the EXILES label straight outta mofo Budapest. Some stellar stuff and satisfyingly diverse, including but by not limited to this eponymous comp:

No worries Nanook, yeah some nice tunes on that one, Dr Alex at it again , this one's a nice darker one for him, just had on repeat whilst eating , not necessarily how it should be listened to ?

No worries Nanook, yeah some nice tunes on that one, Dr Alex at it again , this one's a nice darker one for him, just had on repeat whilst eating , not necessarily how it should be listened to ?

ahhhh... Is that Paterson?

Back