Drum and Bass?

Kurremkarmerruk

dancing behind my eyelids
I constantly ask myself when at a psychedelic party why Drum and Bass isn't more involved than it already is?

I think that Drum and Bass rhythmically is a very good way to release yourself when dancing, I have as of yet not been taken by psy-trance and often find myself on the dancefloor amongst others in a reserved, waiting to break out of a shell but can't because the music just isn't inspiring me to move like state?

Do people just not like it, or feel that it does not really have a place with what they do?

I would really love to see more of it, it's just that going to places like Mass and Fabric constantly depress me because there aren't really any nice people, just self centered ego bubbles floating around with extacy needles popping eachother...

:iyes:

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
I love(d) DnB - don't get me wrong here - i made it for a while hehe :Smile3:

But then I realised:

A. the people who go to them are mostly complete dickweeds

B. after having an unexpected trip in a DnB night, i realised that all the music is is peak - trough - peak - trough - cool bit - peak - trough - cool bit etc.

For me there's no real tension or intricacy for the dancer... maybe listening at home but not in clube... and mostly, there's no story... just stops and starts and fucking rewinds argh...

Anyway...

Kurremkarmerruk

dancing behind my eyelids
It's doom how it's put down because of most fools that really like it but I think that it's suchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a rush when it hits that peak.

It's controlled madness. Paradoxxxxxxx.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
yeah... it is a rush when it hits the peak no doubt :Smile3:... I danced so hard I chafed my nipples at a One Nation... but none-the-less it leaves me generally unsatisfied.

Anyway, that's what DnB is designed to do... peak and trough. After the evolution of the music and the technology (devolution in the case of clownstep) I'd be surprised if DnB didn't have incredible peaks - that's it's sole purpose. I don't however find it intellectually or musically stimulating - i get just as big rushes from a purely musical buildup... little sounds changing and then a pause and a big bam and "things make sense" - the purpose of the track is there...

I only get that really from psytrance, for me it is the ideal dance music.

Safi

I constantly ask myself when at a psychedelic party why Drum and Bass isn't more involved than it already is?
Cos it aint psychedelic? :irazz:
I know that's not saying much with the way some 'psytrance' is heading/headed/has always been. But personally I don't think I could really deal with some grimy dnb in a party atmosphere if I was feeling a little psychedelic myself (maybe outdoors if there's a couple of rigs). I find it too mindlessly aggro, like no method to the madness if you catch my drift. As Mr Beatnik said, it's build - drop - build - drop etc (although that does sound like plenty psytrance), too predictable.
There are some really good drum and bass tunes but I don't really have a clue about any of it just what some of my friends play.
IMO I don't know if it would fit at a psy party but I like my mashup breakcore stuff and that was really good at the Turned Toon party that they played it. A lot of people didn't like it though, some of whom may have preferred dnb. Horses for courses innit I think.
(looks back at paragraph above and can't be arsed to make it more legible hehe)

Edit: Just remembered a wonky acid trip last summer at my friends flat where it took four of us to put a record on the deck and staring at the little red dots on the outside that go round. Trying to emulate the sounds of the dnb bassline with tounges shoved into bottom lips and being in tears of laughter.

ichabod

D&B is the antithesis of psytrance as far as I'm concerened. The D&B scene is about as far removed from the psy scene as is possible. I used to be very in to my D&B but eventually got sick of grimy undecorated clubs full of shady coke dealers, pilled up chavs in caps and a general air of agression (Not to mention a bloke to girl ratio of about 10:1). This was what things seemed to be like up north at least - although I did go to a couple of nights in Brighton and they had a much much better vibe (dont want to tar all D&B with the same brush here).

From my experience of tripping with D&B... they dont mix. The music can sound agressive and angular and encourages a jerky 'running on the spot' type of dancing out of most people. All in all it just sets my nerves on edge a bit too much for tripping to. D&B is more suited to stimulant type drugs IMO - it is all about energy and agression. It can be brilliant in the right circumstances but I wouldn't go near it at a psy party.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
ichabod said:
D&B is the antithesis of psytrance as far as I'm concerened. The D&B scene is about as far removed from the psy scene as is possible. I used to be very in to my D&B but eventually got sick of grimy undecorated clubs full of shady coke dealers, pilled up chavs in caps and a general air of agression (Not to mention a bloke to girl ratio of about 10:1). This was what things seemed to be like up north at least - although I did go to a couple of nights in Brighton and they had a much much better vibe (dont want to tar all D&B with the same brush here).

From my experience of tripping with D&B... they dont mix. The music can sound agressive and angular and encourages a jerky 'running on the spot' type of dancing out of most people. All in all it just sets my nerves on edge a bit too much for tripping to. D&B is more suited to stimulant type drugs IMO - it is all about energy and agression. It can be brilliant in the right circumstances but I wouldn't go near it at a psy party.

Well said... my sentiments exactly! :iyes:

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Misztifiedmind :iwink:

DnB is wikid, it tends to have a nasty prejudice about it, but if you find the right clubs you can find wikid atmospheres :wub:

anywayz, we play DnB & Psy together, along wiv loadz of other stuff :dancey:

D&B is more suited to stimulant type drugs IMO - it is all about energy and agression. It can be brilliant in the right circumstances but I wouldn't go near it at a psy party.

And Full on Psy Trance isnt? come on man! psy trance has become aggresive repatative nonsense imo, DnB has intricate drum batterns and often beautiful melodies, along wiv sik ass basslines..........theres crap around of course, just as there is wiv any music.

Much of the Psy Trance i hear these days is agrresive and NRGized (trying to be anywayz), I personally preffer darkside euphorik drum and bass and rolling choons, I hate MC's and you wont ever hear negative influence DnB @ misztifiedmind

trancetheory

♥♪♫
D&B is more suited to stimulant type drugs IMO - it is all about energy and agression. It can be brilliant in the right circumstances but I wouldn't go near it at a psy party.

:irofl:

come on.......be serious here, too predictable? from a psy trance fan? I love psy trance, because its a feeling, and the atmosphere at the parties is amazing, but its predictable, and has been for a very long time

why not have a listen to this

http://misztifiedmind.net/download.php?view.1

and tell me if you can predic whats gonna happen for each choon, i bet ya cant :Wink3:

digifrog

Photography mad.
Drum n Bass is spot on if it's done well. For me either very dark progressive drum n bass like Noisia or Black Sun Empire is good enough. Or really nice techy dnb like TPower's 1995 album 'Self Evident Truth....' which still to this day is unique & timeless.
Psychedelic Drum n Bass tho of course is always welcomed but there are no specific psy dnb artists as such. Always good to look around. I caught Mike Indidginus playing live at a Tribe Of Frog party one and he was kicking out some nice psychedelically enhanced dnb. Seb Taylor has done some nice dnb as Chaos By Design/Digitalis and the Deviant Electronics album is OK, but not that psychedelic. The new Slackbaba album has I'm told some nice dnb elements on it and there are spme really nice psychedelic drum n bass tunes floating around, some more conventional than others.

digifrog

Photography mad.
ichabod said:
D&B is the antithesis of psytrance as far as I'm concerened. The D&B scene is about as far removed from the psy scene as is possible. .

No way. Not true at all. Hybrid forms of DnB and psytrance is fucking avvin' it.

ichabod said:
I wouldn't go near it at a psy party.

I've heard astounding (psy)dnb at psy parties.

This genre thing is misleading. A form of music that is hybridized forms of 2 styles, i.e. psytrance & dnb. is awesome,Psy DnB is wikkid. And some more conventional forms of DnB are excellent.

Red five

jah mangled spanner
miszt said:
:irofl:

, but its predictable, and has been for a very long time

if you count 2 or 3 years as a very long time, it's only been since the cheese invasion from israel a la: astrix/psycraft etc... we have had to suffer that intolerable bassline, yes you know the one "nunganunganunga"

what happened to tunes you actually had to have any sort of skills to mix.

bah.

D'N'B is wicked, but would kill a psy floor dead.

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Red five said:
if you count 2 or 3 years as a very long time, it's only been since the cheese invasion from israel a la: astrix/psycraft etc... we have had to suffer that intolerable bassline, yes you know the one "nunganunganunga"

what happened to tunes you actually had to have any sort of skills to mix.

bah.

D'N'B is wicked, but would kill a psy floor dead.

Personally I find the full on crazy shit to be the most boring and predicatable, Israeli has melodies at least, I admit they well and truly over use film samples, that really pisses me off

BTW DnB doesnt kill a Psy floor dead......I had people complaing that the DnB woz finished @ our last party in Jan :Wink3:

Red five

jah mangled spanner
miszt said:
Personally I find the full on crazy shit to be the most boring and predicatable, Israeli has melodies at least, I admit they well and truly over use film samples, that really pisses me off

BTW DnB doesnt kill a Psy floor dead......I had people complaing that the DnB woz finished @ our last party in Jan :Wink3:

who's talking about full on crazy shit...unless you count Prometheus / Tristan/ dickster as full on crazy shit

and we had a certain DJ from a very big psy act drop D'n'B at our party and folks called him a cunt to his face...which wasn't nice admitted, but to go from playing psy to dropping stuff by Matrix and Optical...

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Red five said:
who's talking about full on crazy shit...unless you count Prometheus / Tristan/ dickster as full on crazy shit

and we had a certain DJ from a very big psy act drop D'n'B at our party and folks called him a cunt to his face...which wasn't nice admitted, but to go from playing psy to dropping stuff by Matrix and Optical...

well thats just out of order.

I know people constantly go on about psy being up its own arse, but it of course happens in every genre.

people forgot that parties where about going out with your friends to have fun

when did it turn into 'lets pick the music into lil pieces and form lil cliques fight against it'? I dunno, probly since muzik woz invented.

I guess if people go to a psy trance party, they expect psy trance, which i guess is fair enough.

I just think its a bit sad that we ever go to that point, where we were going to psy parties or trance parties or dnb parties........why not were going to a party? woooooo! lets dance, who cares what the fuck plays, its fun and makes me wana jump around.

after all, all modern music makes peopel dance like idiots and generally want to take drugs, it just sounds a lil diffrent :Smile3:

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Red five said:
folks called him a cunt to his face...

those folks need to get a life, and remeber what parties are about, and also be chucked back out on the street....which is where he'd have ended up if he'd acted like that at my party

Safi

miszt said:
I guess if people go to a psy trance party, they expect psy trance, which i guess is fair enough.
Yeah but when James Monro played at 180 there were wankers bitching on about how it was house music and 'not psychedelic' and generally being assholes. At the end of the day you can't really go up and call the DJ a cunt, just as you can't do that to anyone. Even if the music is (in your opinion) shit

I just think its a bit sad that we ever go to that point, where we were going to psy parties or trance parties or dnb parties........why not were going to a party?
Two thumbs up, well most of the time hehe

Red five

jah mangled spanner
and as for why folks only want to hear 1 style of music at a party...thats cos they probably paid 15 quid to hear the music they went out for, while i agree there should be more variation in music played, it's the same as it ever was, people do go to party, but they want to party to the music they paid to hear.

imagine dropping astrix at a D'N'B night? i think they would be a lot ruder than to call the dj a dirty word.

Red five

jah mangled spanner
Safi said:
Yeah but when James Monro played at 180 there were wankers bitching on about how it was house music and 'not psychedelic' and generally being assholes. At the end of the day you can't really go up and call the DJ a cunt, just as you can't do that to anyone. Even if the music is (in your opinion) shit

Two thumbs up, well most of the time hehe

and we knew who they were and they were *ahem* ejected with impunity.