eclectricks- 1st tune demo- proggy

Verb

Absolutely Ridiculous!
Reaction score
hello everyone! i don't post on the forum very much, though i do read up here and there, especially in the media productoin section where i've found some useful and interesting stuff...

anyways i thought i's share my first demo tune with you all because so far i haven't had any real technical feedback on it. it was made with logic 5.5 on PC, with no hardware and not even a keyboard! all done with my mouse and a few nice VSTi's...

don't have monitors either so i'm sure you can point out what is wrong with the mix- i'm looking to finish off this tune in the next week or two if i can, so any/all feedback is very helpful!

i almost didnt post it after hearning zen cat's tune (wicked!) but then i figured hey, we all gotta start somewhere! i realize the sound quality and mix isn't very good, but that is where i need your help/input!

i can barely tell c from g on a keyboard, am not very good with melodies (natural born drummer), and my production still has a long way to go... still i hope you can appreciate the fact that I LOVE MUSIC and will not let my limitations stop me from having a go!

the tune can be found at:
on mp3unsigned.com

be honest but not cruel please!! :Wink3:

i should probably add that it was bounced in 16bit audio, then encoded to mp3 @ 128kbps- unfortunately i am unable to encode it any better than that at present...

luminescentessence said:
i can barely tell c from g on a keyboard, am not very good with melodies (natural born drummer), and my production still has a long way to go... still i hope you can appreciate the fact that I LOVE MUSIC and will not let my limitations stop me from having a go!

Yes mate - You've got the right attitude! :ibiggrin:

Looking forward to hearing your track after work. And thanks for the kind words about my track :iyes:

What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?...............A drummer :ibiggrin:

a little boy once said to his mother 'i know what i want to be when i grow up!'

'what?' asked the mother

'a drummer!' he said

'don't be silly son, you can't do both....'

yes yes, i've heard them all.....

Clean mix. Good Bill Hicks sample. The percussion all sounds pretty clean and tight. The dreamy synths are nice and the bassy synths are punchy and prominent.

It's a nice relaxing track with a chilled out mood. I just keep waiting for it to break into a really sick drop and a more "running" feel. As it stands it's nice and funky with plenty of room to grow. If you want it to be more 'psy', the kick could use beefing up, with more of a high click/snap to it.

This would sound good in a chill out room. Can't really fault much on the track. Maybe it could do with a little more variation, but not much more.

Good stuff! :iyes:

thanks for the feedback zen cat- wasn't expecting you to say clean mix! definitely agree about the more variation, esp. with the lead melodies... just got a midi keyboard so that should make things a WHOLE LOT easier!!

am thinking about speeding it up towards the end but at the same time i like the relaxed sort of feel it has... did you not find the two bassline frequencies muddying each other up a little? have no idea what it sounds like on other speakers so maybe its just my over-bassy hi-fi speakers...

will work on the kick and give the melodies more subtle variations.. am getting to grips with my keyboard now, should make automation easier to do properly.... really appreciate the feedback... will get back to work and post up a newer version once its ready. might even try a breakdown/drop... cheers!

Well, look at it this way:

I'm sitting at my desk at work and I listened to your track on a shitty pair of white apple iPod earphones that I found in my drawer. The track sounded well mixed on the headphones, so I'd class it as a pretty clean mix! I haven't listened to it on my monitors at home yet...

Rather than massively change this track, which is, in essence, a chill out track, you could always just start a new one which can be faster and more 'psy'. I quite like this track the way it is and, while it won't get played in the main room at 2am, it would fit well in a chill out mix. :iwink:

Back