Entry level versions of cubase

Hab

Grasshopper
Reaction score
There seem to be a bewildering variety of different versions of Cubase, Cubasis et al, and I was wondering whether anyone would reccomend any of them. There seems to be an entry-level one for about £70. (Cubasis 5 VST, or Cubase SE 3?)

Please, much advice sorely needed from people who know about these things.

Hi Hab.
I have been using Cubase SE for over 2 years now. It is a very functional sequencer. Unless you buy it in the studiocase box it does not come with any software instrumants just effects. This might suit you better as you can then source more suitable instuments for your needs.
The only thing that i dont ilke about it is that it wont let me use my hardware controller for effects, although it can controll instuments perfectly. There are limitations being "SE" but once its mastered there is always an upgrade chioce of "SL" or "SX" if you want surround sound.

I appear to have 5 VST something-something.

Is this shit, and how do i learn to use it being a complete musical ignoramus.

x

Get Cubase SX3.whatever.am-i-bothered.talk-to-the-hand - it also comes with tutorials that explain how to use the VST instruments. I have created ten seconds of acid techno with it which I will post for everyone's entertainment :iyes:

Does it come with a tutorial for people who dont know anything about the program at all?

x

It's pretty bloody thorough :ismile: Also, if you go to Isra and have a look at their 'mother of all how to make a track in cubase and wtf is all this sh**e' threads - has a long explanation of what midi is, what to do with it, how to make a track etc etc *really* useful. IMHO the psy-forum music production FAQ's presuppose quite a high level of knowledge which I'll freely admit to not having! Isra has 'psy-trance for dummies' :ismile: Which is good for people like me!

I'd have to say for the complete studio novice you might be better off looking at either FL or Project 5.

Cubase is (imo) the most user friendly of the big 3 in any of its iterations, but that isn't saying much at all. Futhermore, although I'm a dedicated cubase chap now, FL still features very strongly in my tracks (nearly all one shots and rythmic synth work are done in the demo version (and I do mean demo, not crak))

Back