ergonomic mouse?

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score

ichabod

Reaction score
mmm - I just use a Microsoft Intlellimouse which I find pretty good ergonimically. No need to grip it hard! Also might be worth getting one of those mouse pads with gel wrist supports. A decent quality optical mouse and mouse pad make a massive difference for me - well worth the money.

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
thanks!

yeah, i figured getting a pad would help do you guys use one of those keyboardpad&mousepad jobbies?

ichabod, just a regular Intellimouse?

i'm also trying to learn to use my left hand - it's a stopgap solution till payday. dexterity +1! :Wink3:

spork

token aussie
Reaction score
i have a pad for my wrists, and use my mouse in my left hand even though im right handed.

imo if you're getting pain, dont fuck around, go see a doctor or physio. it will only get worse, trust me.

ichabod

Reaction score
I think its just a normal intellimouse - its a five button optical one which was around £25 when I got it. Pretty standard fare - but I tried out a few and this one was by far the comfiest for me and infinately better than those Dell mice!

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
I've got a Logitech cordless mouse + keyboard and its really nice. I have quite big hands and the cordless mouse is quite big, which once I got used to it was much more comfortable. The cordless aspect is something I couldn't do without any more.
In general I'd recommend Logitech stuff anyway

PsycheDanic

PS: Why music? Dot, code... Ott, you 'k?
Reaction score
Wow, these bots have gotten all intelligent lately...

Mibes

Mantan Scortcnut
Reaction score
erg-a mouse? - the more comfortable but slightly less economical reggae artist

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
since the original post four years ago i have become fully ambidextrous in the studio - took a bit of getting used to but well worth it :iyes: now i can switch mouse/key hands when i'm doing certain types of editing or whatever that require shortcuts on different sides of the keyboard, which is great, and i feel i'm balancing out the damage to my tendons, so when i'm old i'll be equally broken on both sides :Wink3:

i'm using a microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000, which kind of does what it says on the tin... although the signal quality isn't great due to the masses of metal on my studio desk.

Syzygy, that vertical one looks wicked :iyes: also interested in a multi-touch tablet or something in the not-too-distant future...

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
I get allot of RSI probs :Sad: the closest I came to finding solution was a vertical left handed mouse (used for a few weeks at a random job i did), pretty expensive tho, might get one one day, for now tho i'm avoiding a few things

dont grip your mouse tightly, infact avoid using it as much as possible, most things can be done on the keyboard once you know the short cuts...use a keyboard with lots of spring and click, reduces the impact on your fingers

dont rest your wrists on the desk, hover your hands over the mouse and keyboard...not easy at first, but you get used to it eventually, no matter how tired your hands feel, its nothing close to the pain of RSI once it gets going, in the past i've been unable to grip a cup of tea, my hand just wouldnt respond at all, often had searing pains shooting up and down by arms, not nice....but since I started hovering my hands above the desk, i've had no pain at all, although a little weakness still in my hands

sideshow bob

the bart the
Reaction score
I got^W persuaded my employer to buy one of these for about 100 quid
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEEQrQQwAg

and another vertical blue one that I can't find a link for, about 60 quid. Both have a tray which the hand rests on (unlike the vertical mouse). THe first one is definitly better. Clicking the buttons takes a moment to get used to but a very worthwhile piece of kit nonetheless.

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
After a debilitating bout of RSI a couple of years ago, I started using one of these at work

K64325-17736.jpg

and my RSI went away in a couple of weeks. I'm just about as quick with it as a mouse, and in general I prefer it now.

But it's useless for games.