Eskimo 'Balloonatic' available to download legally here!

edreal

Junior Members
The hottest UK psy artist delivers his exclusive Balloonatic artist album here;

http://www.trackitdown.net/genre/psy_trance/track/106296.html

Here's my review in the next issue of I-DJ magazine! I'm in love with this album and want to have its babies! hahahaha

"Eskimo 'Balloonatic Part 1' (Phantasm) RECOMMENDED

At 19 Years-old most of us are still chomping glowsticks and trying to get on top of the speakers to strutt our stuff! Not Junya Ford aka Eskimo. He's releasing three albums in 6 months (that will take him up to a total of 6 artist albums in his career so far - more than most artists will ever manage in a lifetime!) and single-handedly re-writing the psy-trance rulebook. Balloonatic starts with a homage to classic Prodigy and continues for 9 full-on tracks that are some of the best produced dance efforts I've heard in the last year. Hard, fast, trippy and all dusted with coat of madness that has made this young man one of the most exciting figures in dance music today. 5/5"

What do you think?

Ted

www.trackitdown.net
www.riotinlondon.com

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
about the album or about the review?

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
edreal said:
He's releasing three albums in 6 months (that will take him up to a total of 6 artist albums in his career so far - more than most artists will ever manage in a lifetime!)

the saying 'quality' not 'quantity' springs to mind

antic

Junior Members
It's not bad - one of the best full-on releases this year. Maybe there's to many stops & breaks there which destroy the whole trancey feeling, but the level of production makes up for it. On this CD (part #1) there is no prodigy remixes, although tracks #1 is definitely inspired by the sound of early 90' rave parties.

(when I say "full-on" I think of artists such as 1200 Mics, GMS, Save The Robot, Fatali, Astrix, Alien Project and most of israeli acts - not about proper psychedlia like VoC, EVP or Scorb :Smile3:)

edreal

Junior Members
antic said:
It's not bad - one of the best full-on releases this year. Maybe there's to many stops & breaks there which destroy the whole trancey feeling, but the level of production makes up for it. On this CD (part #1) there is no prodigy remixes, although tracks #1 is definitely inspired by the sound of early 90' rave parties.

(when I say "full-on" I think of artists such as 1200 Mics, GMS, Save The Robot, Fatali, Astrix, Alien Project and most of israeli acts - not about proper psychedlia like VoC, EVP or Scorb :Smile3:)

personally, having had my first 'dance' experiences at said early nineties rave parties, i guess that's what appeals to me... perhaps that might be a little shocking to the new skool amongst us! lol

can't fault junya on the production though - the quality of sound and intricated editing puts him up right up there in my opinion... anyone who has ever tinkled around on a pc or mac trying to make music will attest to that :Smile3:

and as for quality over quantity - disagree completely... everything that i've heard from this young genuis has been top notch and far belies his years. if his music is this good now imagine what he'll be creating in 5 or ten years time! the mind boggles.

sound like the eskimo appreciation society here but i don't bandy compliments around lightly and this chap seems to deserve it!

ted

edreal

Junior Members
antic said:

oh... and by full-on you mean those who are currently the world's most popular acts! ;-P

edreal

Junior Members
Will Dogon said:
No i think he's referring to the formulaic, trance by numbers, uninspiring, unimaginative, indenti-kit stuff that's around.....of which junya is near the top.

shame to read such negativity in what's supposed to be a positive scene and community. especially gunning for someone personally...

i love this album and think that with guidance this producer will be one of the most succussful and popular in this division of the dance scene and possibly beyond. and from watching him rock the socks off thousands of trance fans on the saturday at The Glade this summer I'd say that this was a fairly universal opinion :Smile3:

good luck to him!

ted

evilwill

definitely
Will Dogon said:
No i think he's referring to the formulaic, trance by numbers, uninspiring, unimaginative, indenti-kit stuff that's around.....of which junya is near the top.

yeah but eskimo doesn't sound like anyone else. from the few tracks i've heard of his new stuff its genuinely different to most of whats out there, and his last album doesn't sound like gms or astrix or 1200mics to me.

you don't have to like it, (might be getting a bit hard trance tbh) but to say that eskimo (or jumanji) is unimagintive indenti-kit trance is nonsense...

i worry about the wisdom of releasing 3 albums in 6 months though, i'd be suprised if the quality doesn't suffer quite a bit from trying to get that many tracks together in such a short space of time...

lurk

Stunning Cunt
you certainly can't fault his production; and i love the stuff he does with dick trevor; but i haven't been interested in his solo stuff since his first album. although the production wasn't nearly as good as that; it was packed full of different ideas. these days his tracks have only one idea at best, and that usually never changes.

i was one of the people at glade who's socks weren't rocked off... in fact i went to the sanch panza tent cos that was more interesting :Wink3:

fair play to him though for doing what he's doing; fusing styles and pushing bounderies is admirable, and he does this very well. But if you do that, you have to be prepared to leave as many old "fans" behind as you do pick up new ones. I'm afraid I'm one of the ones he left behind; not that he'll notice :Wink3:

Will Dogon

MATERIA-listic
Ok, his stuff isn't my cup of tea - mainly because all his tunes sound very similar (a sound i don't like) - doesn't seem as tho he's got enough in his locker to experiment with different sounds/structures and to make something that doesn't sound like all his other stuff. I like a lot of the stuff he does with dick trevor....but then i suppose that'd be mainly dickster's influence there.

I was soooo bored and got tired of his glade set after the 500th build-build-build-gonna break-gonna break-oooh-not quite yet...aaaaaand break into boring ploddy shiiite. And that happened in the space of about 10 mins :Wink3:

evilwill

definitely
lurk said:
i was one of the people at glade who's socks weren't rocked off...

me too. i *really* wanted to enjoy that set too, after eskimo at glade1 which was one of my highlights of that summer. thing is with the amount of breaks in his tunes and the volume it was played at it just didn't work. if you're going to have lots of sections without a kik you need to fill the soundscape and keep people interested. having since heard some of the tunes he played (louder!) i think it would have worked but at the volume it was at it just kept fading out and felt really flat...

evilwill

definitely
Will Dogon said:
Ok, his stuff isn't my cup of tea - mainly because all his tunes sound very similar (a sound i don't like)

yeah fair point his stuff does all sound very similar. i like the sound of the first two albums though so i suppose thats good for me :Wink3:

Will Dogon said:
I was soooo bored and got tired of his glade set after the 500th build-build-build-gonna break-gonna break-oooh-not quite yet...aaaaaand break into boring ploddy shiiite. And that happened in the space of about 10 mins :Wink3:

heheh, fair point... i still think being mashed + low volume = not good though so he was a bit screwed...

evilwill

definitely
just ordered it from chaos... i'll be back on this thread dissin' eskimo's gheigh identikit stylings in a couple of days if i don't like it :Wink3:

Geoff3

Direct DJ
Well said mr Lurk, I agree wiv dat...

His production is excellent, his ideas are not as good as the first CD...

But the only person he ever sounds like is himself, he never ever sounded like an Astrix\GMS clone...

he's got his own stylee of Bassline! Its just the israeli artists like Bliss and Dynamic, which are now cloning his style.

I think his biggest problem, is having too much of his own style, and each track sounds to similar to the last!
My Blue Goa is a good track, but most of the last album was just to similar.

Bang it out, woop woop, build up, more build up, more build up, break,
Bang it out, woop woop, build up, more build up, more build up, break

etc....