Evidence of consumption by ETNARAMA ---CHILL OUT

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
very differnt use of stereo panning there, seems like the only thing in the middle is the kick + bass (sounds a lot more coherent after monoing) - the kick and the bass are very nice tho

dont really like a lot of the lead sounds (sorry, too grating for me), would do my head in if i was attempting to chill out and this came on..

it is however, *very* psychedelic.. reminds me of some old acid techno i've got on vinyl somewhere - substitute the synths for some 303's with some made filter sweeping and your there!

what software are you using?

etnarama

----------/----------
Reaction score
hello and thank you for the reply.....
What do you mean by different use of panning?? yes only the kick and bass are in the middle.

I use cubase SX3 and the usual Vst's...... and midi keyboard (no money for a real synth)

I'm a guy stuck between 4 styles of music, progressive trance, full on night psy and Hard Tekno and chill out.
i dj them all and produce them all as well, thats why most of my music always has something from other styles...... i try to follow the rules but my heart and head takes my music somewhere else.

thank you again for the reply.
Paulo

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
panning is a bit odd as is extreme left & extreme right... i usually find the best results from having sounds evenly spaced across the stereo field, some a bit left, some a bit more left, some a bit right etc.. also have a few which move about..

keep going with following your heart & head.. there's enough generic stuff out there already :Smile3:

etnarama

----------/----------
Reaction score
The panning in this song is not extreme right and left, the channels are evenly distributed in the stereo image.... but its true they don't move, but i'm still learning and hopefully with the learning ladder I'm in, eventually my production will became better, this song is "OK" but at the moment i feel i can do better, but the time is not enough.. a few more songs to improve my technique and develop my style..

You are right about the generic thing, but i "hate" when the psy "purist" start saying 'oh this isn't psy'
this could be a good discussion topic.....
I like music that makes me dance and as Space Tribe said "take people where they cant stand themselves", its very weird the evolution that psy had in the last 8 to 10 years, in the old days it was more "techno" and now its very plastic and too cheesy (we have to blame the Israelis for that) and too much copy and paste and no good variations besides doing the bassline and leads go up a few octaves and lower them back again.....
I'm not the right guy to be saying this cause im not a good producer .... yet... but please
some artists just do a few songs and launch an album straight away and then from 10 songs in the album 8 are the same with different "presets".....
I'm enjoying very much this last albums from Ticon and Artifact even if i would play only 2 songs from their albums, it shows that they can do different stuff and its not an album just of full on.... a proper electronic music album....
The worst albums i have listen in this last months was Technodrome and Killer Buds, they have good bassline and kicks and leads, but the album sounds all the same, please use some different kicks or hats, you know...... the worst is that i bought them and then realised that they all sound the same throughout the album... Very good production but its always the same shit...

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
castrodp said:
The panning in this song is not extreme right and left, the channels are evenly distributed in the stereo image....
hmmm i'll give it another listen later (feeling a bit ill atm), maybe it's me hearing it all wrong..

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
the two sounds in particular are the saw wave thing at the far left, and the harpsichord-type sound at the right.. nothing intrinsically wrong with doing this, but it leaves big gaps when one or other of the sounds isnt there..

well anyway, keep at it, it's a *lot* better than some of the stuff i did when i was first starting producing!

edit: listening on headphones, and any sound on the left channel isn't coming through at all on the right and vice versa.. its a shame becuase it sounds a lot better if left / right are panned in a bit so theres less sepereation.. actually getting into it a bit now :Smile3: just a bit to get over the sounds used, the ideas behind them work alright..

etnarama

----------/----------
Reaction score
You are right these sounds are panned to the left and right specifically, i always thought that by putting them that way there would be a bit of that sound coming from the opposite side of the stereo.... well it seams i was wrong.... i never do music with headphones, always with my monitors, but i do feel that they lack of bottom freqs anyway (monitors).
When doing the panning i should use the combined stereo you reckon?

Later today i will upload a DJ set i have just finished doinn, i was bored and just recorded, not marvelous but it does the trick i reckon....

Thankx for replying, oh if you wanna add me to your messenger for future conversations its lof@hotmail.com

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
best way to do it is just to pan things in the middle 60-70% of the stereo field (except sounds that bounce from side to side, which do work at the extreme edges!)

as far as i know, the panning rule used wont affect what happens at full whack either way..