Evils of Capitalism

Neko

Meer Kat
Reaction score
The Hill is alive with the sound of music
Did anyone go to see Nelson Mandela speak yesterday? Coincided very well with Shell annoucing their mega profits. The democratic world seems to me a system of capitalism where a few people exploit and feed off the misery of the majority and it is major corporations and profits not the good of the people that is determining the course of our history.

The effect money has on people is one of the greatest evils of the world - In the past 10 years my country became a place filled with greed, crime and depression escalated all due to the effect of money.

Spreading the wealth is all very good in theory but marred by one big problem - human greed. Its not important if someone has more money / acquisitions or less than you - it is however heartwrecnching that in a world where there is such disgraceful decadence there is also startling poverty! Don't worship money, don't crave or covet money - trust in your ability to have sufficient money to cover your needs - don't hoard your money - 'giveth and you shall receive and all that jazz'. Money doesn't bring happiness, it only brings the security of not having to worry about money.

'The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career."
- Albert Einstein (1875-195

lala69

51% Sweetheart,49% Bitch
Reaction score
I agree fully!! It makes me so mad... The greed for money I feel is what is driving the US to dominate the middle east (apparently now it's Iran who's the seat of terrorism)... they have a national budget deficit of something like £300 billion... but it doesn't matter because they'll get the oil. They also refuse to cut government subsidies for their farmers - which puts all of the developing countries at a huge disadvantage...

People have all pulled together for the Tsunami... but you mention orphanages in Africa where the babies don't have food or nappies and people look the other way. 6000 people a day die because of AIDS. That's 219000 a year.

But it doesn't profit anyone to help out the less fortunate. Apparently Shell could pay Kenya's National Debt three times over if it felt like it. Makes me more sad than angry, I think. I wish I could help those countries more. I'm here because I want to travel around...but when the time comes, I'll be home trying my best to make more of a difference.

And: I think Nelson Mandela rocks. I really believe in his vision for Africa...

Gromax

Junior Members
Reaction score
Was in London and has been in Colombia for 3 years
Yep.... it's all screwed up and it certainly isn't sustainable for "capitalism" as it stands results in un-balances... un-balances at an environmental level whereby we are becoming more & more aware of the effects of our behaviours on the planet (although many choose to play the denial card), and un-balances at a human level whereby we've institutionalised the "haves" and the "have nots" and have come to accept it, rationalising it by saying "I earn an honest living, I'm not doing anything bad or illegal, I'm only providing for myself & my family... trying to guarantee a good future for our children"....... whilst at the same time leaving your kids and their kids a trashed planet full of tension. What a great future that is for your kids indeed.... The thing that is interesting is that I believe more & more people are realising and seeing that it isn't sustainable, that it is seriously damaging the planet, that it is a serious cause of tension on this planet, that our system simply doesn't work if we pretend to want to live in a world where nations & people can live in peace in harmony. But most of us live in fear of change and are not ready to deal with it... so we continue with our ways.... until shit hits the fan big time.

Mayam

Junior Members
Reaction score
Neko said:
'The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career."
- Albert Einstein (1875-195
Brilliant quote, had never heard that before. That man continues to surprise me. Everyone agrees he was the smartest, now why don't we bloody listen to him?

Einstein said:
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Mayam said:
Brilliant quote, had never heard that before. That man continues to surprise me. Everyone agrees he was the smartest, now why don't we bloody listen to him?
He could be horribly wrong though too - he rejected quantum mechanics wholesale when trying to derive his universal theory.

And let's just state for the record that 90% of vegetarian food tastes like shit, and until that changes that 'evolution' ain't going to happen.

J.

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Reaction score
JPsychodelicacy said:
And let's just state for the record that 90% of vegetarian food tastes like shit, and until that changes that 'evolution' ain't going to happen.

J.

Ahem, in the West maybe.......

TranceVisuals

Banned
Reaction score
*edited*

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
Capitalism is great! I can't imagine where I'd be without it - I mean how would I survive without my Apple computer to browse the net? And what about my lovely Technics hi-fi? How would I listen to psy-trance without capitalism? How would I watch movies? How would I make music? And most importantly - how would I be able to afford to wander through Asia for months looking for spiritual enlightenment?

hehehehehehehe..... harmless fun....