External Hard Drive?

Blender Bender

Chew-Z anyone?
Reaction score
And suddenly you get to the point where you realize your laptop's hard drive is nowhere near enough for your needs anymore..

I'm looking into buying a 250GB external hard drive, either USB 2.0 or Firewire connection, bus or external powered. Fanless ideally.

Been looking at the Lacie Porche Design one, as well as the D2 triple interface, but recently heard some weird comments about them.

Any ideas?

i have a couple of western digital externals (160gb + 250gb) been using the 160 for a year now - and it gets hammered when out gigging with up to 14hrs continous use dragging video clips back off it - havent had a problem with them and they are both 6 pin firewire, usb2 external power and fanless

The Lacie Porsche externals have a tendency to cook drives and shorten their lifespan.
Nothing worse than a dead drive full of your data.

I've tried lots and given all the dodgy ones away.

I have a Western Digital usb2 which works well but only has a 1 year warrenty.

I also have a Seagate 300gb usb2/firewire (lifetime warranty!) which is the one i always recommend to people now.

The western and the seagate have large cases with really good airflow...lots of air vents, and this ensures the drive runs at a lower temperature thus prolonging the life of the drive.

I tried smaller casings with fans but they still kill drives cos the airflow just isn't good enough.

The seagates are a bit more expensive but ...ya get what ya pay for innit :Smile3:

And avoid Maxtor drives..they're pretty low quality and unreliable... I've had two die on me so far.

I need to buy an external hardrive soon, now filled 360 gig of shite on my pc and need to go for a 300 gig external !

I was looking at the amazon piss cheap ones around 100 quid..

LaCie are a rip off. Not worth the money at all. If you're going be playing out in clubs using it then make sure it's got a low running temperature and plenty of ventilation. If however it's going to be running at night in your bedroom, make sure it's quiet enough for you to sleep through. At the end of the day though, as long as it's rugged enough for your needs it'll do. Maxtors are cheap and cheerful but beware - they might not last much longer than their 3 year warranty.

Well as i said I'm a proud owner of a Lacie 250G (£90new)and i can say that it has been on for the last 4 months, very rarely i plug it off, constantly being used as my "downloads" folder (torrents) so don't know where is the probs with it.........
I dont use it to do a live i pass the stuff into the laptop's HD its easier and effective

castrodp said:
Well as i said I'm a proud owner of a Lacie 250G (£90new)and i can say that it has been on for the last 4 months, very rarely i plug it off, constantly being used as my "downloads" folder (torrents) so don't know where is the probs with it.........
I dont use it to do a live i pass the stuff into the laptop's HD its easier and effective

:dito:

plus it has 'porsche' in the title... that's gotta mean it works well

:irofl:

I'm using the LaCie 250gig external drive too... and so far it's working splendidly :iyes:
Just switch it off at the back when you're not using it and it doesn't cook itself (although so far it never seems to me to get too hot)

Ratty said:
The seagates are a bit more expensive but ...ya get what ya pay for innit :Smile3:

And avoid Maxtor drives..they're pretty low quality and unreliable... I've had two die on me so far.

strange - i wont touch seagate drives with a barge pole (owing to the swift death of a drive with 5 years worth of tune making on it grrrr) and have never had a problem with any of the maxtor drive's i've got, one's been going since 1997 now! woo!

thats internal drives mind..

Sturdy Pete said:
strange - i wont touch seagate drives with a barge pole (owing to the swift death of a drive with 5 years worth of tune making on it grrrr) and have never had a problem with any of the maxtor drive's i've got, one's been going since 1997 now! woo!

thats internal drives mind..

Most external drives are identical to external ones just that they are in a container with a IDE/SATA to Firewire/USB 2.0 interface.

I have a dead maxtor "one touch" drive here. The HDD works fine in a PC but the electronics in the external unit are fucked, died a painfull death mid file transfer.

From what i've seen of external units lacie are the ones to go for, tho i'd go for Seagate internal drives

Plank!

I read many reviews before i got an external drive. i reckon maxtor is what you should go for. Ive got a 300gb, had absolutely no probs and its really quick.
cheap place to get them from is

http://wstore.co.uk/

So ..there you have it.... any help? :lol:

Hi everyone.
I´m in trouble with my new HD. My father-in-law brought from EUA an internal Seagate 300GB ATA......that´s ok...if.....I did not have a Ibook (note book).

As I live in Brazil I can not change it for an external one.

This way I bought an external case that should accept the Seagate 300gb HD...After installation I connected the USB into my Ibook port.....no way.....nothing happened! I do not know if the Ibook do not accept these HD.....if the case do not accept the 300gbHD......I am lost actually....

If you have any tip or experience please let me know. Thanks!

i very recently bought a 250gb hd (buffalo drive station) and i think it fits ur spec well. its fanless, nearly silent (i heard it making noise for the 1st time last night after some weeks of ownership) and has a full usb 2.0 transfer rate, unlike the maxtors.
my flatmate also got a 250gb maxtor 'one touch' and has had problems from the start, not to say they arnt quality, as his seems like it will be more durable than mine.

icodon said:
Hi everyone.
I´m in trouble with my new HD. My father-in-law brought from EUA an internal Seagate 300GB ATA......that´s ok...if.....I did not have a Ibook (note book).

As I live in Brazil I can not change it for an external one.

This way I bought an external case that should accept the Seagate 300gb HD...After installation I connected the USB into my Ibook port.....no way.....nothing happened! I do not know if the Ibook do not accept these HD.....if the case do not accept the 300gbHD......I am lost actually....

If you have any tip or experience please let me know. Thanks!

if it has been formatted to ntfs instead of fat32 then that MAY be the problem

Back