Extraordinary rendition/torture

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
So Condi Rice is sent to Europe as a kind of sacrifical offering to try to calm things down. She states that torture is unacceptable in all circumstances and denies all allegations of US complicity. She also apologises to a German national who was kidnapped by the CIA, drugged, sent to Afganistan and tortured because he had a "suspicious sounding name" - thus contradicting herself and admitting that the US DOES use torture and kidnapping

Meanwhile, back in the US, a bi-partisan group of senators are trying to pass an anti-torture amendment. The Bush administration cannot supress this, so instead, they insist that the CIA be made exempt from the amendment.

So the official line is that the US does not use torture under any circumstances, except in certain special circumstances, and no one should be allowed to use torture, except the CIA, but that doesn't matter because the US doesn't use torture anyway.

Its like something out of a Joseph Heller novel....

in other news - Blair plans to spend £25bn of tax-payers money upgrading Britains NON-INDEPENDENT (ie: useless without US military satellites) nuclear arsenal. Which means that Britain will be geopolitically bound to this staggeringly stupid bunch of psychotic, violent, crypto-fascist pathological liars for the next half-century.

... right, I'm off to make a cup of tea and watch Richard and Judy.

martin_e

Pantheistic Cyberneticist
Reaction score
I don't think Ms. Rice was sent as a sacrificial lamb. Her exact message is along the lines of "you're involved too - stop asking embarrassing questions!". US officials were quick to point out that NO apology was made to the German citizen who was held in Afghanistan - a vague apology that "mistakes have happened" is all there was. Ms Rice refused to comment on that specific case as he's suing the US Administration in the US at the moment...

Bacchanal

semilanceated
Reaction score
they're running rendition fmights through Shannon airport in Ireland and refusing to release any information (other than denials I think) about it. This includes refusing Irish inspectors to look at the planes' cargo, and there have been threats of trade sanctions if the bog-hoppers get uppity

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
well - look what happend to Colin Powell. He was called up to make the case for war in front of the UN and left the administration as soon as the case started to crumble. Ok maybe not a sacrifical lamb - mutton dressed as lamb perhaps.

If the British government admits that they were aware that British airspace and ariports were used for CIA extraordinary rendition operations, ministers will be liable for prosecution under international law. If they deny all knowledge, then they are indirectly admitting that any private jet could overfly or land in Britain without being noticed... which isn't exactly reassuring considering what happend in London this summer.

I think I'm gonna emigrate to the moon. Anyone up for it?

DJJD

Piechedelic
Reaction score
Lazytom said:
Richard and Judy.

That is depressing n' all; "So, err yeah, when is the global conveyer belt going to stop setting us into a new ice age probably killing us all? SooN? Yes. Ok! Lets play you say we pay...."

I ask ya !