F*!#king Waves plugins ARGHHHHHHH

ichabod

Reaction score
I have realised that almost every crash and bug I've experienced in Cubase is down to problems with the Waves plugins. I am getting near finishing a tune and have recently started using a lot more waves eq compressors, Rverbs etc. I have started getting major problems :mad:

The first problem that arose was waves plugins occasionally turning themselves off (or just not working). This usually sorted itself out. A more recent problem is that when you load a project it just exits cubase (or gives a 'serious problem' message'). This is very worrying as sometimes 3 or 4 of my most recent saves ALL do this raising the prospect of re-doing hours of work.

A workaround of this seems to be to load a simple project first then leave this open while loading the new version!?!

The next bug I started to get as I used more waves plugs was avalanches of 'serious problem' messages when loading projects and problems with projects refusing to load etc. Things were getting scary :sad:

The final twist is that now I can load my projects but most channels with Waves plugins do not output any audio. If I open th plugin interface it is blank. If I disable the plugin the audio returns (or sometimes cubase crashes!). I have tried re-installing waves, I have also tried installing a newer version of Waveshell.dll but this seems to have screwed things up even more...

Does anyone know what to do? It is very worrying not being able to get my nearly finished tune to play :?

Might resort to removing all waves plugins (really anoying as i can't open them to save/see the settings. Then re-install the latest version (5) and spend ages re-EQing and compressing everything :mad:

I have to say it sounds more like a Cubase problem than a Waves problem.

In my experience [been using Waves plugins for about 5 years now...] they are probably the only software I have never had a single problem with ever.

That said, I use Logic and prefer it over Cubase - which seems to me to be a seething nest of crippling bugs.

Are you using Mac or PC, and if PC do you have problems with the DX versions of the Waves plugins?

Actually I've had an *ahem* liberated version of Waves Gold (3.5) crash Logic too, and unlike Cubase, it actually rinsed the file I was working on.

I've noticed that the DX versions of Waves seem to be in the wild a lot more than the VST versions - as a rule I prefer the latter but will go with the former if I can't get hold of it.

J.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles!

I'm skeptical of it being a problem with Cubase. I'm not sure about everyone else but I've been running Cubase for a while now and have had it crash perhaps 2 times - both with extremely shifty 3rd party plugins. Never crashed again once I uninstalled them. Waves in particular has never given me any problems.

It sounds like it might be a problem with a pirated copy of Waves, Cubase or both :Wink3:

I'm someone else with an opinion with which to confuse you... :Smile3:

Given that many people (myself included) run both SX and Waves with no problems the problem might be with the setup of your computer. It sounds to me as if your computer is running low on RAM; assuming you're using a PC, do you have many tasks running in the background? If you have more than, say, 25 processes running prior to starting Cubase you can almost certainly prune them in Task Manager which might help if you're running low on memory.

In the past I have also had problems with faulty RAM which manifested itself in similar ways so if appropriate you might want to think about swapping out RAM sticks and seeing if you can isolate the problem that way. Also, I think you can install Waves 5 over the top of previous versions (someone else want to comment here?) which might avoid the loss of your precious settings, and which might also help the situation if it's down to the particular version you're using.

Good luck!

Actually - it does sound like the problem lies with an iffy crack of the Pace Interlok copy protection system.

Nuff sed...

You gets what you pay for.

No need to use cracks when you can get the real thing for a fiver from Malaysia.

The Phonographist said:
I had a cracked copy and it just would't let Logic run when I installed it.

So I uninstalled it.

I kind of thought the problems were assosiated with it bein a cracked copy though rather than the program itself.

Think the plug-in enabler program usually sorts that out. (in the Logic folder).

Hi, thanks for the responses!
I've done a bit more research and found that problems with Waves seem to be quite common - I think it might be due to problems with Cubase and DirectX. I was using DX versions of all of the plugins as they didn't seem to appear as VST for some reason. This was a bit odd as I did have Waveshell.dll in my vst folder. When I installed a newer version of Waveshell, the plugins showed up as VST.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a memory problem - my system is running fairly lean and cubase is running at around 60% memory usage. I think it is probably due to a combination of problems with Cubase and the Waves DX implementation.

Anyway, I got so narked off with it all that I spent a few hours last night removing all waves plugins. Installed Waves5.0 and painstakingly re-programmed (this time using VST versions). So far no bugs or problems whatsoever :sun:

Although it was time consuming it was probably a good thing for my tune - being forced to re-apply every plugin in one session makes you think a lot harder about what is neccessary and how things fit together etc etc... things were a bit hotch-potch before.

Fingers crossed it will stay bug free - it'll be nice to re-gain some trust in the software and not constantly be suspicious that it's about to go tits up every second.

saxopholus said:
The Phonographist said:
I had a cracked copy and it just would't let Logic run when I installed it.

So I uninstalled it.

I kind of thought the problems were assosiated with it bein a cracked copy though rather than the program itself.

Think the plug-in enabler program usually sorts that out. (in the Logic folder).

Aha. Lovely. Thanks very much. :Smile3:

Warwick Bassmonkey said:
No need to use cracks when you can get the real thing for a fiver from Malaysia.

Intriguing....

Hows this work then? Loopholes in copywrite laws? Do any mail order companies operate out of countries like this?

j_s said:
Warwick Bassmonkey said:

Intriguing....

Hows this work then? Loopholes in copywrite laws? Do any mail order companies operate out of countries like this?

You mean "copyright" surely?

Copyright laws mean jack shit in some countries, you know.

Warwick Bassmonkey said:
j_s said:
Warwick Bassmonkey said:

Intriguing....

You mean "copyright" surely?

D'oh.

Warwick Bassmonkey said:
Copyright laws mean jack shit in some countries, you know.

Just a shame about the 100s of miles that separate me from those countries. I should probably stop whinging and hop on a plane, though sadly motivation alone won't get me tickets...

Back