"Failure of the drugs war"

splitmind

Furious Homegrown
Reaction score
An interesting article published by the ol' faithful Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,2763,1521501,00.html

Another fine example of our government's stubborn refusal to listen to criticism of its drugs policies. How are we supposed to achieve progressive reform when any objections to their current approaches are silenced?

See what you think...

Indeed. But then even the leaked report seems to be living in a fantasy land :-

"Among the data suppressed because it was supplied by an agency involved in security is a table on page 12 from the National Criminal Intelligence Service showing average street prices for various drugs. It estimates the average cost for a heavy user at £89 a week for cannabis"

Yeah, possible I suppose, but pretty rare don't you think?

And far more telling :-

"An economic model made for Downing Street shows that the profits per kilo for a major Afghan trafficker into Britain carry a profit margin as high as 58% - higher than Louis Vuitton's margin of 48% or Gucci's 30%."

58%? Yeah, and the rest...

There are 2 main reasons why successive governments suppress information and debate.

1. The "war on drugs" is almost a complete failure. To admit as much has huge ramifications for both the Labour and Conservative parties.

2. The "war" is used as an instrument of control.

Then there's a reason added by Blair. He's an evangelist, and like all evangelists, he refuses to acknowledge that there's a valid alternative view.

So, we're not going to see any change any time soon, and in the meantime (as always) it'll be the people of this country who will suffer.

Hugs,

Barclay

Barclay (Dark Angel) said:
Indeed. But then even the leaked report seems to be living in a fantasy land :-

"Among the data suppressed because it was supplied by an agency involved in security is a table on page 12 from the National Criminal Intelligence Service showing average street prices for various drugs. It estimates the average cost for a heavy user at £89 a week for cannabis"

Yeah, possible I suppose, but pretty rare don't you think?

And far more telling :-

"An economic model made for Downing Street shows that the profits per kilo for a major Afghan trafficker into Britain carry a profit margin as high as 58% - higher than Louis Vuitton's margin of 48% or Gucci's 30%."

58%? Yeah, and the rest...

They covered their backs a bit in relation to this in the report which did admit in one section, I forget which page now as I've closed the .pdf before coming back to read this thread again, that knowledge of the UK drugs scene was quite limited and that they effectively knew more about what was going on in supplier countries than in the UK itself.

As for the £89.00 per week average for a heavy user of cannabis... that doesn't sound that outlandish a guess really, bearing in mind that most people aren't heavy users.

grokit23 said:
They covered their backs a bit in relation to this in the report which did admit in one section, I forget which page now as I've closed the .pdf before coming back to read this thread again, that knowledge of the UK drugs scene was quite limited and that they effectively knew more about what was going on in supplier countries than in the UK itself.

Some admission, eh!

No wonder the govt suppressed the report. What a disgrace! Total dereliction of duty. It absolutely gives the lie to any suggestion that the government understands just about anything to do with prohibited drug usage, especially when it's refusal to put in place virtually any studies into the effects of drug use is considered as well.

Unfortunately the security on this 'pooter is so tight I cant get to see the pdf. Mmmm, think I'll do a search and see if I can get to see it some other way.

Hugs,

Barclay

just had a brief read through the report...some pretty interesting findings

a lot of the problems pointed out in it could be solved or at least minimised through the legalisation of certain drugs.

i do think its good the way the report admits to the damage caused by alcohol and tobacco but still think it underestimates the problems caused by legal drugs.

ahh its a difficult situation to solve

splitmind said:
ahh its a difficult situation to solve

Thing is it'll never get solved if every time a report comes out disagreeing with the prohibitionist line they just bury it and their heads in the sand again. It's not even like it's the first time this has happened, similar reports have been written and then suppressed on a number of occasions over the last few decades.

Back