favorite soft-synths

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
i do this every day, plan to watch cheers but miss the first ten minutes cause of this damn forum hehe. :lol:
heres mine:
imposcar (stretching its capabilities more and more every day)
discovery (versatile and very warpy sounds)
albino 1 & 2 (loadsa presets to start from, also v versatile)
A1 (yes, i know, cubase synth, but i use it for all basslines and according to any 4k+ rig i've heard my basslines on, its fuckin excellent)
Z3+A (zeta- wonder synth, great for trance)
i'll remember more later i'm sure

V-Station (bloody brilliant for nice fat buzzy basses)

Oddity (closest to analogue I've heard - real squelchiness!)

My workhorse synths, though, are still Synth1 and Triangle II, 'cos they take up bugger-all CPU and sound as phat as they come - and best of all, they're free! :Smile3:

J.

Double_Helix said:
for some reason i have never managed to get anything good out of triangle II

Turn down all but one oscillator, set the remaining one to a saw waveform, set the filter to highpass, turn the resonance up to about 2/3rds, add a smidgen of delay and reverb, then play right down the bottom octave of the keyboard and tweak the filter cutoff.

Cleanest 'liquid' sound I've come across. :Grin:

J.

Maelstrom for pads and bass, Vanguard for trance gate style stuff and arpeggios, Imposcar for wierd sounds, Pro-53 for bass and leads, FM7 for bass and unusual sounds, Albino 2, Cube for pads. Hoping to get more mileage out of Reaktor as well some time, esp the percussion synths.

for "normal" (ie va) synths - v-station, z3ta, imposcar
for more esoteric stuff (fm, additive, whatever) i dont really develop favourites , cos i dont really understand em anyway - preset bashing here.

I use v-station most. Rubberduck still has the meanest filter in a soft synth though.

i wouldnt be saying that if you havent tried the imposcar :Grin:

then again i havent tried the rubberduck :hehe:

discovery rules an almost perfect replica of a nord lead.
and maelstrom is funny.

discovery has a nice formant filter, and one of my fav synths... the imposcars filter is crazy and VERY good for psychedelic trance... yeah i agree the Zetas filter is a bit lame, its hard to get resonance without gettin shit...albinos filters tend to be a bit weak.
does anyone use the quadfromhage vst funky twin filter? its called somethinglike that. and what about reverbs? i love to bits the cubase built-in reverb, biggest room size and lots and lots of decay, atmospherics heaven!

i have the straightforward quadfromage - i bought it, even 0 but i almost never use it. way too complex :Grin:

reverb wise ... uhm... i use the nuendoreverb, because i hate it very slightly less than all my other native verbs :Sad:

Kontakt

Model E

Korg Legacy

P.s. Soliptic - try Wave Arts Masterverb [cheap but tasteful], Timeworks 4080L [old but fabulous], or the new NI Guitar Rig. The reverbs in that are quite amazing and use bugger all cpu.

ta

i tried the timeworks with much hope, cos the Buzz machine "Sonic Verb", which I truly loved to pieces, was allegedly based on that code. Thing is, Sonic Verb had about 9 sliders and the timeworks has about 4 , I cant persuade it to sound remotely similar :mad:

havent tried the other two tho, i'll investigate

Don´t kill me guys, I know this question would be silly...

Those soft sinths are software or hardware??
Is there any sinths we can get for free???

Sorry about my production´s knowledge........... :?

Thanks

soft synth is short for software synth
and also cause synths like imposcar are soft and cuddly and loveable :wub:

there are synths u can get for free. the synth1 mentioned above is one example. the sound is kinda thin and scratchy compared to imposcar, legacy, oddity, etc but its entirely usable and versatile

check www.kvr-vst.com for that and more :Smile3:

soliptic said:
ta

i tried the timeworks with much hope, cos the Buzz machine "Sonic Verb", which I truly loved to pieces, was allegedly based on that code. Thing is, Sonic Verb had about 9 sliders and the timeworks has about 4 , I cant persuade it to sound remotely similar :mad:

havent tried the other two tho, i'll investigate

Mate, Waves IR-1 or any other convolution reverb (Voxengo Pristine Space ($139), SIR (free), etc) and get some free impulses from Voxengo (http://www.voxengo.com/impulses/). Or even make your own with their Impulse Modeler (http://www.voxengo.com/imodeler/). Nice one Voxengo!

Quite into the TC Native Reverb Plus too.

Back