Top 10 Favourite HeadFuck Book

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yodhe @ Mar 16 2004, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> "Nothing in this Book is True" by Bob Frissell at the time had a major impact on me... [/quote:dd8cc2c2dc]
:dito:

For a while there really were spaceships hidden under pyramids and shit.

Imbued me with a streak of optimism that never went away.

Ta Bob, you grizzled old california hippy...

Iain Banks - The Bridge

really good :Smile3:

I read a book a few years ago by Anton Le vey, bonkers satanist type extraordinaire and it was all about how the devil isn't evil, just the opposition to the ruling power in the universe...

not so much a head fucker as an eye opener...

and fictional stuff it's gotta be stuff by Neil Gaiman who wrote the sandman books.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (josh @ Mar 17 2004, 12:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Iain Banks - The Bridge

really good :Smile3: [/quote:1dae698930]
Ahhh Joshy - now yer talking...

I LOVE that book...

Joseph Conrad .. Heart of Darkness and Brave new world by Aldous Huxley.. <<<< Both pretty odd, but very good, get ya thinking...
Magic
:wizard1:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 16 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot...
[/quote:ae00ca9dc7]
:dito: though not too much of a headfuck, just veeery interesting :Smile3:

A Treatise On Electricity and Magnetism, by James Clerk Maxwell - now that's a headfuck :hehe:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Speakafreaka @ Mar 17 2004, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> wasp factory is pretty bizarre as well...

his sci-fi alias is good, although less head-fucking, but still good. [/quote:674935b4fa]
Hmmm - I trawled through "Consider Phlebas" waiting for it to get good but it never did. It was like reading the storyboard for a horrifically long episode of Blake's Seven.

Unaha Closp in-fucking-deed.....

Avoid the Iain Banks books with the "M" in his name.....

<span style='color:purple'>aha! just thought of another....

'Cobralingus' by Jeff Noon is 1 hell of a crazy concept for a book! Cobralingus is a word machine thing that u put two totally unrelated pieces of script (eg a wordsworth poem & a random conversation u had @ the supermarket) into the cobralingus machine which 'mixes' them (like you would do with music) to produce a randomly bizzare piece of script which only makes any sense reader who has just read thru the whole mixing process! Uttery bizarre but quite magnificent 2... :hehe: </span>

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red five @ Mar 17 2004, 02:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

and fictional stuff it's gotta be stuff by Neil Gaiman who wrote the sandman books. [/quote:280d582982]

<span style='color:purple'>I'm completely addicted to all things gaiman! Got all the books & only got 2 more Sandman comics to get now! (I'm such a dweeb!) Just reading Neverwhere again @ the mo... totally amazing book! Kinda reminds me of the London I knew when I was squatting there... :hehe: </span>

Avoid the Iain Banks books with the "M" in his name.....

No sorry can't agree with you there!

Consider Phlebas is not the best. By a long way. In fact yes it's shite.

'The Player of Games' is much more interesting in my opinion. Although not really a headfuck, it is an interesting observation on society, and what it values.

But variety is the spice of life, eh? P'raps you'd hate it, I liked though.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ott^ @ Mar 18 2004, 02:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Avoid the Iain Banks books with the "M" in his name..... [/quote:e9f6fce049]

did anyone read Dead Air? one of his latest as Iain Banks.

complete pile of wank. :no: And the Wasp Factory was so cool....

"The GOlden Ass" by Apuleius - arguably the first novel ever written (the argument is as to whether or not it can be considered a novel, not whether there's an older one)
Written in the 1st century BC (I think, maybe its AD). Its a bit of an Odysseyan journey, though through various stages of metamorphosis - I read it in Latin and it fucked with my head!

Otherwise I'd go for Holographic Universe which I've started dipping into since I last read about it on this forum.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Mar 19 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ott^ @ Mar 18 2004, 02:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Avoid the Iain Banks books with the "M" in his name..... [/quote:06a7b4efa4]

did anyone read Dead Air? one of his latest as Iain Banks.

complete pile of wank. :no: And the Wasp Factory was so cool.... [/quote:06a7b4efa4]
Yeah it was a bit of a diatribe against all the random things that pissed him off, with a cliched plot to string all the rants together.

'look to windward' and 'excession' were both great I thought

Fear and Loathing is an intresting read....but my ALL TIME NUMBER ONE is:

Through The Looking Glass: Alice in Wonderand

I Trully adore this book. :Grin:

Non-Fiction - The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Kapra and The Holographic Universe by Wossname both bent my head in a most satisfying way. And if everything Mr. Icke says is true then the universe is a stranger place than I ever would have imagined.

Fiction - The Bridge and Walking On Glass by yer man Banksy are right wierd (only read them once though so my memory of them is hazy) and his Inversions is the only sci-fi book I've ever read that contains no sci-fi at all... but first prize for me has to be Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I mean, the human brain is only capable of storing so much infomation before external storage becomes necessary...

:unsure: World History In The Light Of Anthroposophy - R. Steiner :blink: :wacko:

Back