Filters...

ichabod

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding a high quality filter VST capable of LP,BP and HP filtering with variable rolloff and distortion. I only want a single filter - and want something reasonably efficient and compact which rules out Quad Frohmage and Antares. TC Filtrator almost fits the bill but does not offer BP mode which is pretty annoying. Can anybody recommend anything else?

I want to use this filter for -among other things - that classic (even cliched?) build up effect which sweeps a BP filter over the entire mix before a big drop...
Thanks for your help!

Purusha said:
Filtrator gives you LP and HP in series though n'est pas?

That's effectively BP.

actually filtrator has only one filter, so you'd have to chain two of them to have the bp .. but the modulation isn't that easy for tweaking both filters

as i suggested on kvr ichabod, give a try to frantic :irazz:

EDIT just saw you wee asking for a single filter .... then give a try to psp nitro :Wink3:

I'll have to try North Pole again... last time I tried it was horribly bugged and crashed Cubase every time - perhaps they've fixed it by now!

I'm using SX2 but for some reason my version doesn't have Tonic!? I even tried getting a copy of the .dll file and putting it in the plugins dir but it still didn't recognise it.

PSP Nitro is very nice but is similar to Quad Frohmage - it is pretty complex and has muliple filters. I'll give Frantic a try - I've never even heard of that!

I'm suprised at the lack of variety when it comes to simple VST filters - compared, for example, to the millions of phasers flanger reverbs etc that are available.

ichabod said:
PSP Nitro is very nice but is similar to Quad Frohmage - it is pretty complex and has muliple filters. I'll give Frantic a try - I've never even heard of that!

I use the free Frohmage filter a lot - NOT the QuadFrohmage which is a bit fiddly but the freebie single version.
It's really phat, filthy and characterful if you can get on with the 'interesting' gui.

you can get it here

Mehdi said:
actually filtrator has only one filter, so you'd have to chain two of them to have the bp .. but the modulation isn't that easy for tweaking both filters

OK - I don't have the native version, only the Powercore version. That has 2 filters per instance. I've used it for band-passing quite successfully.

..yeah never tried the north pole myself, lemme know how it fairs.

i would be inclined (and have used in the past for the very effect your after) to use a single BP Filter from the Antares Filter and place a Distortion plugin where desired in the signal chain.

Purusha said:
OK - I don't have the native version, only the Powercore version. That has 2 filters per instance. I've used it for band-passing quite successfully.

some are lucky some not :icry:

@continuum : as far as i know, frohmage is LP only

i'd suggest you try makdaddy trick with antares filter
i love its sound .. cleaner to me than the filtrator (or maybe is it because i overuse the disto :irolleyes )

Thanks for all of the links... Had a look at Frantic filter and it looks like it should hit the spot. Also really like the look of the http://www.expdigital.co.uk/ plugins. I'll demo them all asap!

Had a go on a mates version of SX3 last night and Tonic does look like just the ticket - nice and simple!(not sure if it does distortion?) Maybe its about time that I moved to SX3... mmmm

Have been messing around with the track and discoverd that a fixed BPF doesn't really do what I want. I might have to use seperate LPF and HPF after all! The problem is that as you sweep the BP filter up you want the very high frequencies to come in right near the end of the sweep just before the drop.. I find that sweeping this high cuts out too much of the mid frequencies - I want to leave enough of these in so that you can still here the very top end of the kick and bass. I need to use two filters and raise the lower edge more gently than the higher edge.

....i'd still go with the antares, as its a 4 part filter you can select 1 HP and 1 LP at the at same time, so you can see the width of the band you have created. :Smile3:

makdaddy said:
....i'd still go with the antares, as its a 4 part filter you can select 1 HP and 1 LP at the at same time, so you can see the width of the band you have created. :Smile3:

Yeah, great plugin, too many controls, though, it scares me a bit...=)

yeah I've had trouble finding a nice useable filter too...

Antares filter is amazing and can do everything, but I find it uses a lot of processor power.
Kjaerhus - I'm glad you reminded me about this one as it is very good, and small too.
I'm using cubase SX 2.2.0 and it has the Tonic filter (and Embracer synth). It's surprisingly good for a cubase plugin (!) and has drive as well. The step filter on the other hand I don't like a lot except for percussion. I find it a bit noisy (clicky) between steps, or if you have glide on then it glides to the new setting AFTER that beat - when I want to glide to arrive at that setting ON the beat.
I had stability problems with northpole too.

Back