First set.....ever...

Spider

Forum Member
Reaction score
Ive been asked to start a night off in the Zanzibar (Liverpool), but the problem is I'm not to sure what tunes I should be playing at 9:00?? Obviously I not going to put on a stormin tune to start off with, but at the same time what do I start off with. Ive never played in a club before and the nerves are taking over and the gig isnt untill 11/11/05!!!
Could somebody help me out please...

Thanks

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
Is this a case of Alien Resonance moving back to Zanzibar or is somebody else starting a new night there now?

Oh and start mellow and build it up from there. :Smile3:

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
Start fairly minimally and groovy then work your way up !!!

Try making a list of all of the tunes that you would like to play ....... then try working out which one those works the best as the start of your set (preferably one with a cool intro) ..... makes things a bit easier ...

Dont worry too much though ...... there will probably only be a few people there when you kick off anyway ....

Good luck ...

Oh - Grokit - I dont think its Alien ......

Spider

Forum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, erm...no its not Alien, as far as im aware Kev wont be doing alien for a while. There seems to be a problem with venues etc. So a few people have started to get their heads together to keep the liverpool Psy scene going.

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Reaction score
I know im in the minority here but i think that at a long night <whether im visiting or playing>, some deep bass driven house works well at the start and at the end. The borders with prog psy are now so blurred i hate using the word house...but it works :Smile3:
Also, a classics set of stuff people will recognise is also bound to get people in the mood.
Oh, n what james suggested about a list is good advice. I do it too if im being asked to play a style im not overly practiced in or if im just generally stuck before hand for a setlist.
Another good way of doing it is just get ya ten fave albums of the time n just listen to them non stop before hand, for as long as poss. Then you wont need a list youll just have an idea of what tunes will go with what :Grin:
Failing all that......... just chuck some tunes on and pretend ya mixing at home.....
have fun n dont worry.
Peace n luck,
N

ZINI

Reaction score
Depends on what sort of night it is. Is it a Psy night or is it just a mish mash of dance music?
At 9pm I’d give them a bit of Fluke, Orbital, maybe some more obscure Chemical Brothers tracks ie not Block Rockin Beats, but as I say it depends on whats going on.

Just like to add best of luck. I’ve got my first night coming up next Saturday. I was planking it but just decided I’m just going to enjoy myself. No fear now.

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
use the nerves. remember, the people who booked you know you're good enough :Smile3: that tingly worried feeling isn't a million miles away from the excitement of going out for a good stomp, is it? :Smile3: go with it & remember you deserve to be there so relax & enjoy your moment in the sun :Grin:

sometimes i like to start out with one really pounding track to get people interested. it needn't be particularly heavy or dark but something chunky & funky to get the few people who wander in at opening time onto the floor... personally i like protoculture-vs-rinkadink 'poolside killer' as an opening track, or the second track from fairy tales (the one about experimenting with EQ, cannae remember the title!), because they're big and bold. chances are there won't be many people around for the first track of the night anyway - so enjoy & use the first coupla tunes to get your ears used to the system :Smile3:

have fun! will be dancin for ya in spirit :Smile3: [i just KNOW i will be broke then lol]

Spider

Forum Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the positive responses. Ill have a play around at home, and hopefully get some people to have a listen to a set i put to gether and see how it goes from there!
Once the flyers are ready ill keep everyone posted.
Its not for another month yet and I'm worrying already, much respect for the "big boys".

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
Anal Cunt.
i'd prefer to end with Cannibal Corpse.

unless you're talking about 'Windchimes Are Gay', 'Haha You're a Priest', or 'I Went Back In Time And Voted For Hitler', in which case i thoroughly recommend Anal Cunt :Grin:

Crispy

Fried for too long
Reaction score
The way i look at it when im playing first at a party is that your basically there to T the night up for the next dj and provide something non offensive for the first few punters to have a wiggle to. I tend to play groovy progressive and, depending on how the floors looking, might move up to something with a bit more beef ( eg some of sub 6s less having it stuff). keep it strutting and fun and you cant go wrong. One thing to remember is that no one is battered at the beginning of a night so theres no point in expecting people to have it like they would at 4 am.
The key is just have fun, there will probably be hardly anyone on the dancefloor so dont be bummed out by this (ive played to quite a few empty floors), if you look like your having fun, chances are it will transfer to to others in the club and they may be more tempted to have a little boogie early on!
Anyho, Good luck and all!
Tell us how it went!

Chris :Smile3:

Spider

Forum Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get away with slowing say a 140bpm tune down to aboyt a 130bpm?

Geoff3

Direct DJ
Reaction score
Spider said:
Is it possible to get away with slowing say a 140bpm tune down to aboyt a 130bpm?
yes but things get a little messed up when pushing a track that far!!
It can sound wrong and outta key and also makes it harder to get other tracks to mix in, you have to be more accurate with the pitch if you see what I mean?!?!?

Spider

Forum Member
Reaction score
FANTASTIC!

Had such a good night, felt ill building up to 9:00, then when I started to play the nerves went, and I just played, no problems what-so-ever. What a buzz!

Cheers Guys!

:Smile3: