for folks sake

There are actually quite a few chillout-room-friendly Maire Brennan tracks (or Moya Brennan as her record company insists on calling her, presumably to appeal to Enya fans, although for me there's no comparison) on "Two Horizons" and "Whisper to the Wild Water", with subtle techy beats behind them.

I love folk music, it's my first love as far as music goes. It takes me somewhere nothing else does. Really good 'psychedelic' music sometimes comes close.

Hope you enjoy the recommends.

Thanks fort those links SB - really enjoying them.

So can we have a chillout folk set from you at the pie camping?

Glad they are being enjoyed, I'm always a bit wary people aren't generally into the old Arran sweater music!! :ilol:

I would love to do a chillout folk set, if people were interested. A lot of it goes quite well with 'psy chill' I find, it has a similar kind of presence and atmosphere, although you have to be careful with the juxtaposition.

You also have to put one finger in your ear whilst you are playing it, to get the sound completely right. :iyes:

can i get hold of alicebands cds?

edit.....its the sorta thing i had in mind ta :Smile3:

No problemo...........

yea...
I've got a few off her.
A quick PM on Myspaz, and she'll send you some over for a donation :Smile3:

Seriously folks (hangs head in shame at pun)
....Get on to AliceBand......I rekon she'll do really well in the future :Smile3:

Not sure if it's really what you're after Jim, but I'm a big Sinead O'Connor fan too.

She is a bit of a mad bitch, but I like that. :iyes:

She has an incredible voice . . .

Does this tick yer boxes?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7BR19jWl2dg&feature=related

The other tunes off their album are more folkyish but this was the only one on youtube.

The Pentangle, "Basket of Light" album:-

51mqE33QpGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Recently remastered, a totally classic album. Jacqui McShee has an incredible voice, the album is actually quite intense, and (I would say) psychedelic.

Jacqui tends to write very dark, 'doom and gloom' in her words type lyrics (the "Lyke Wake Dirge" really hits that spot nicely), and the musicianship is just extraordinary, with Bert Jansch and John Renbourne on guitar, when the band was at its peak. Blues and jazz influences weave in and out of the classic English folk sound. There's even a sitar on one of the tracks.

Worth getting just for the first track alone, "Light Flight" - one of the best tracks ever written IMHO. But the rest of the album is great classic folk too.

Two essential Sandy Denny albums IMHO:-

51tjXV9LtkL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51TTPNV8H9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

"Like An Old Fashioned Waltz"/"The North Star Grassman and the Ravens"

Both recently remastered too. Sandy is one of the all-time great female folk artists, for me. She sang on "The Battle of Evermore" on Led Zep IV too.

I mentioned it on the 'Music you can't put down' thread too, but Richie Havens' latest effort is just pure listening pleasure from end to end:-

51APJuAQ0WL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

"Nobody Left to Crown"

Not exactly the cute girl vocalist, but some of the best music you'll hear anywhere IMHO.

This thread has reminded me of one of my favorite songs everrrr!

Malvina Reynolds - Little Boxes

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xJjE-UtqQdU

Am beginning to get into some of Lisa Mitchell's music (new singer). You may recognize this gem of a song from some washing powder commercial!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5RowAc-H3EM

Faith Over Reason - "Eyes Wide Smile".

151786.jpg

Quite a rare album, but you can still get it on the web here and there (Amazon have a few copies I think) - an absolutely gorgeous album, some of the songs are real lump-in-the-throat, welling-up-a-bit numbers. Amazing lyrics, beautiful female vox.

This is what Amazon say about them:-

The majority of new bands formed either stall on the launch pad or disintegrate shortly after lift-off, and it is generally no great loss to humanity at large. Faith Over Reason's failure to make good on their early promise is more perplexing and more frustrating than most, as this rough but endearing collection of demos recorded in 1990 and 1991 demonstrates. That the earnest young Londoners owed a substantial debt to The Sundays was never in doubt, but they showed every sign that they were capable of developing something of their own--vocalist Moira Lambert (who went on to sing on Saint Étienne's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart") owned a voice which was attractively pastoral without ever getting too Beatrix Potter. Faith Over Reason's gentle acoustic songs also evoked Sandy Denny-era Fairport Convention. Their choice of cover versions (Nick Drake's "Northern Sky") was also a dead giveaway.

Definitely one of my fave albums, when I first got it about 18 years ago it was at a very formative stage in my life, and even now it evokes some pretty strong emotions.

There are actually quite a few chillout-room-friendly Maire Brennan tracks (or Moya Brennan as her record company insists on calling her, presumably to appeal to Enya fans, although for me there's no comparison)
There's also the fact that it's the way it's pronounced phonetically, and it saves embarrassment when her name is mispronounced in its original Gaelic spelling... :Wink3:

On that subject though, pretty much any Clannad album prior to 1979 is awesome Gaelic folk - the first three albums especially.

J.

On that subject though, pretty much any Clannad album prior to 1979 is awesome Gaelic folk - the first three albums especially.

Yes absolutely, couldn't agree more!! The masters of that 'atmospheric Celtic folk sound with nice modern synthesizers'. Although there's some really great acoustic stuff in there too, in fact they were quite a 'hard core' Irish folk band at heart I think. Some very trancey, ritualistic stuff in there, especially early on.

Some of the Moya Brennan stuff (like the track I posted) really goes overboard with that huge, washing sound, with loads of vocal overdubs etc, and the way she does it is absolutely second to none, for me. But there's some simpler stuff on albums like 'Perfect Time' too, less produced but really showing off what a great natural singer she is, just really great acoustic music.

[/Maire Brennan fanclub]

I've got one single Paul Brennan track, have searched high and low for more but haven't found them, it's the most incredible instrumental track called "The Crossing", with Alexia Winston. Just unbelievably majestic, and mystical, just acoustic instruments though, faraway fiddles, cellos and ritualistic bodhrans.

Highly recommended.

Yes absolutely, couldn't agree more!! The masters of that 'atmospheric Celtic folk sound with nice modern synthesizers'. Although there's some really great acoustic stuff in there too, in fact they were quite a 'hard core' Irish folk band at heart I think.
As I recall they didn't really bring the synths in until around 1980, and prior to that they were a straight-ahead folk band (with a twist of blues and rock in places, like the instrumental break in "Dhéanainn Súgradh"). The later, more synth-oriented stuff (which gets them confused with Enya a lot of the time*) I do like, but in a different way.

J.

* - Not really surprising, as Enya is their younger sister and was briefly in the band in the early '80s.

Back