Frank Zappa

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
Anyone with the slightest interest in music should really check out Zappa. I personally don't think that any musician of the last century came anywhere near his song writing. Not only did he have an incredible musical talent, but also a wicked sense of humour and a real gift for telling a story.
Not all Zappa is for everyone, there is alot of really experimental stuff for only the most intense listeners, but there is also great music that anyone can enjoy :Smile3:

I strongly recommend these albums and DVDs!!

Hear..

Hot Rats
Apostrophe (')
One size fits all
Overnite Sensation
Sheik Yerbouti

See..

Baby Snakes
The Dub Room Special

'Your mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work when it's closed' Frank Zappa

Guy was a genious!

haven't indulged yet so much to his music as I would have liked but thanks for the recommendations! :Smile3:

missed "joe's garage" off that list - well worth anybodys time to listen to a few times and also "Zoot Allures" if only for the track "The torture never stops" it is dark, sleazy and very funny

Yeah I left out Joe's Garage because I thought some first time listeners might find if a bit far out..fooking brilliant though!! Haven't heard Zoot Allures yet...pretty good??

yeah as is "overnight sensation" - both as a good as apostrophe(')

thanks Psilocybo, will check those out, Zappa is the man!!!!

joe's garage is wikid!!

i reckon the strictly commercial compilation is probably the best for a zappa virgin

something really wierd just happened. my computers playing all my music on random and joes garage just came on just after i posted

this is the cerntral scrutiniser...............................

Zappa is God (or near enough)
Huge fan (as you can already tell!)

Stricly Commercial is a great starting point,
I have partcular soft spot for the album "A ship arrived to late to save a drownig witch"

Zappa trivia no.1 - Tina Turner can be heard on the backing vocals on"Montana",
Ike Turner let Zappa use the "ikettes" as long Zappa didn' pay them anymore than he did!

Theres a gig at the Royal Albert Hall in June (i think) "Zappa plays Zappa" Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa playing their dads songs with "special guests"

Anyone know anything about it?

Morgan

zappa is a musical god.
that hig at the albert hall sound intressting. i have to play bobby brown at all the partys i do in the morrning :Grin:

morganism said:
Zappa is God (or near enough)
Huge fan (as you can already tell!)

Stricly Commercial is a great starting point,
I have partcular soft spot for the album "A ship arrived to late to save a drownig witch"

Zappa trivia no.1 - Tina Turner can be heard on the backing vocals on"Montana",
Ike Turner let Zappa use the "ikettes" as long Zappa didn' pay them anymore than he did!

Theres a gig at the Royal Albert Hall in June (i think) "Zappa plays Zappa" Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa playing their dads songs with "special guests"

Anyone know anything about it?

Morgan

'Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon' :irofl:

Yeah Zappa plays Zappa is basicly what you said Dweezil and Ahmet playing their dad's songs... Not sure about Ahmet but Dweezil is a well established guitar player in his own right. Shame it's £50 a ticket though!!

Dawson

i wonder who the special guests will be.

can any of you guys confirm or unconfirm a rumor, a friend of mine tried to convince me that zappa was 100% teetotal. no rugs, no booze, no dope, no coffee, no nothing...is this true???

mr_cool said:
i wonder who the special guests will be.

can any of you guys confirm or unconfirm a rumor, a friend of mine tried to convince me that zappa was 100% teetotal. no rugs, no booze, no dope, no coffee, no nothing...is this true???

yep definitely right on the drugs aspect - not certain on the others but it wouldnt surprise me if it were true

Psilocybo said:
Not sure if he was tee total... But he was against drugs and didn't let anyone of his band members do them while on tour.

:goodthre:

Just been listening to Frank again recently after totally forgetting his music for the last 15 or so years :iredface:

Yes the rugs thing is true - which again goes to show that you don't need to take them to be psychedelic. In fact been listening to a few acts from that era lately who were famous teetotallers and equally fab.

Interesting that Albert Hoffman in the article in the Independent said that he was horrified that people used LSD for purely recreational pleasure. He felt that it should be used only rarely and in completely the right setting to experience its true benefits. Also that it seems the use of LSD by recreational users became so rife that it was made illegal and therefore it couldn't be used in the area where it was greatly beneficial - that of the mental health sector.

Bit off topic - sorry... :Smile3:

Back