FX reduction

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone has ideas on this (have a few of my own), I've just started a remix project but a lot of the *real* instruments in the multi-tracked audio are pre-treated with 'verb and/or delay.

Any thoughts on what to do with those? Leave the 'verbs in there or somehow try and separate as much of the original signal as possible?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

fast fades out then re-effect to cover the cut at the tale?

I also thought about taking the mono signal from the stereo split, which should theoretically remove a lot of the stereo reverb.

Any free plug-ins around to do that job?

Yeah using the tracks in mono will help to a degree and also using a sound gate to cut of the tail of the reverb will help also. You could also try a touch of EQ. Trying to take out points where the frequencies in the reverb are more prominent than in the original sound but you should be very careful with this method

don't think might be a good idea, monoed stereo sound gets colder and flatter and reverbs/delays would still be there, just without space feel.

dunno about plug-ins sorry mate

Not mono'd stereo, but a plug that extracts the mono component of the signal (e.g. the component that is common to left and right). I have hardware that will do that job, but I can't think of any software.

you might be able to do something with converting one instance to mono and then phase cancelling the stereo, and then taking the phase cancelled left-over and using it on the original sound...

But then my brain isn't clear at the moment so it's probably a thoroughly unnecessary proceedure which might not sound too great in the end...

I don't think I'm aiming for removal, reduction would be good enough I think.

If I can remove some of the tails, then what's left should sound almost more like chorus

use a gate on each channel or cut the tails manually like when cutting spill between toms from a drumset recording....

If you want to extract the mono component the easiest way is with a Mid/Side (MS) encoder. The only one I can think of at the moment is the Waves version but no doubt free plugins exist. MS encoding transforms the stereo signal so that the mid component is on the left channel and the side component is on the right, enabling the stereo and mono parts of a sound to be processed separately.

MD3 (Powercore) can do similar as part of its mastering process. Whether I can break out the mechanism in isolation though is the question...

Back