Good news: Wind farms in UK being built ahead of schedule.

Zero-G

Zero-G
Reaction score
Onshore windfarms in the UK are being built ahead of schedule, which means that the target of getting 5% of the UK's power from wind by 2010 will be met :grin:

I reckon if we had a bit more campaigning in the country we could probably get even more wind power in the UK since it's all going so well.

BBC News report

that is good news,
there is a big fuck off one being built of the coast of whistable, which is supposed to power a good part of east kent.

very impressive erections....

the 'not in my backyard' view that slowed the progress of offshore (but visible) wind turbines being built off the shore of Whitstable, in Kent, where i used to live, disgusted me. lets get windy!

init! coz we'd rather see Smog, n dirty buildings, cancerous lungs, and skin cancer, n drought, n disease n etc etc

silly buggers, no idea what they are doing :isad:

interestingly enough i read a report a few weeks ago saying that IF the uk were to meet its renewable energy commitments as published and by wind turbines alone it would require 200,000 turbines to achieve that target - i wonder what the target %age by wind turbine actually is and where/how they plan on making up the rest - wave power is largely unproven technology at the moment and solar isnt goin to cut the mustard

I'm for wind farms, but not unreservedly. I lived close to a few in Wales, and they're all over the show here in Cumbria, tho' mostly near urban/industrial areas or close to the M6, so their extra environmental impact should be minimal. Link: RSPB's assessment of windfarms Wind power is not a panacea for our energy needs - indeed, a lot of thought still needs to be put to reducing those energy needs in realistic ways.

I also feel that more nuclear power is inevitable. I'm not very fond of nuke power - and BNFL is a major local employer - but its impact on the environment is less than that of burning fossil fuels, and as long as all waste is dealt with responsibly (ha ha)... sadly, I don't see much alternative.

Fromem_Ory:

From BBC website:
polls suggest the public approves, with a Guardian/ICM survey in 2005 showing about 70% of the population endorsing wind farm construction within 20 miles (32km) of their home.

dave arc-i said:
interestingly enough i read a report a few weeks ago saying that IF the uk were to meet its renewable energy commitments as published and by wind turbines alone it would require 200,000 turbines to achieve that target - i wonder what the target %age by wind turbine actually is and where/how they plan on making up the rest - wave power is largely unproven technology at the moment and solar isnt goin to cut the mustard

The target percentage is to have 10% of the UK's electricity made by wind by 2010, so far we're approaching 5% ahead of schedule.

Also from BBC website:
Photovoltaic solar panels produce less than 1% of the nation's electricity, and wave and tidal technologies remain in the development stage.

thats good news, marc, thanks :Smile3:
Ive always found wind turbines to be beautiful architecture. Denmark is covered in those things, and i love just watching and listening to them.

ricght, time to eat more beans...

Wind farms are a great idea but i still think that wave power is the way forward in the renewable electricity stakes. Although the last trial they did ended up sinking they should get it right @ some point.

i am all for wind farms aswell and being a veggie i could power one or two myself (fuuurppppp!!) excuse me,hehe, jokes aside i totally agree why not wen wind is free?!! also tonite on bbc2 at 8 oclock there is a sustainable living show about water energy should be good, and educational....

dave arc-i said:

Yeah F'in RIGHT!!

If it weren't for power companies propaganda against wave power we'd all be using it. Frankly no, I don't want a lovely bit of countryside ripped up by noisey bloody wind turbines that power about one street per turbine (that was an exaggeration, I'm already aware of that) Let alone when the wind stops blowing....

Bring on the waves, they aren't going anywhere, unlike the wind, and solar power is frankly a joke (It cost's more energy to produce a solar panel, than it would ever produce in its lifetime) With any luck, the moon will keep on spinning round hte earth as long as we're here, so wave power won't be going anywhere. Some C*NTY Oil and Coal "barons" rubbished the research into it at the time, and what with them having more money than God, people listened to them... Gits

I also feel that more nuclear power is inevitable. I'm not very fond of nuke power - and BNFL is a major local employer - but its impact on the environment is less than that of burning fossil fuels, and as long as all waste is dealt with responsibly (ha ha)... sadly, I don't see much alternative.[/QUOTE]

Railgun it into space. BYEEEEE!!! Electro magnets whooooom "Oh, Sol, we've got some lunch for you...":irofl:

Xenomage said:
I also feel that more nuclear power is inevitable. I'm not very fond of nuke power - and BNFL is a major local employer - but its impact on the environment is less than that of burning fossil fuels, and as long as all waste is dealt with responsibly (ha ha)... sadly, I don't see much alternative.

Railgun it into space. BYEEEEE!!! Electro magnets whooooom "Oh, Sol, we've got some lunch for you...":irofl:[/QUOTE]

that sort of stuff was looked into , but discounted due to the effects of one of these dustbins full of uranium disintergrating in the atmosphere

Yeah, I just like the idea.... Teehee

But really Lyra, you like the sound? Hmmm.....

They should attach a secondary turbine with speakers so that the play booming psy-trance in time with the blades, with the Whoom,whoom,whoom being part of the bassline.

Teehee

Back