Great cover versions.

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
So I'm partial to interesting cover versions, and was listening to some of the ones I like best through the night while backing up hard drives and re-organising folders. Thought it might be nice to open a thread on the subject?

I especially like it when covers bring something totally new to the experience of a song, e.g. a change of genre or making you think about lyrics in a different way, but all suggestions appreciated. A bad cover for me would be something like the painfully dull pop version of Here's Where The Story Ends by Tin Tin Out, which sucked all the warmth, quirkiness and charm out of The Sundays' original only to replace it with soulless banality.

My favourite recording ever, originally by Tim Buckley.

Fab folky version of Blue Pearl's Naked In The Rain.

Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart has been covered so many times and I hate nearly all of them, but I must admit to shedding a few tears when I heard this one. The way she sings "cold" in the second verse gets me every time, wahhhhhh!

Nouvelle Vague are a cute French band whose repertoire consists almost entirely of 80s songs in bossa nova style. I don't like their Joy Division :p but Teenage Kicks, Blue Monday and Ever Fallen In Love are all ace, as is this one from last night's playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DElRqo8u1vQ

Last edited:
S

squbsy

One of my favourite things, ever.

Steven 'Porcupine Tree' Wilson covering Cardiacs' 'Stoneage Dinosaurs':

O

oceanz

I liked the ukelele one. I want a KALA Ubass looks like fun.

TomMiddleton has a thing for quirky covers - a great Bollywood take on don't stop on Trip1 but I think he's made a mix too...I'll post links : )

I love this version too

Last edited by a moderator:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
Again, I don't know the source material, but this is beautiful.

+1 Jimi, Siousxie and The Beatles. The Slits is one of my all time faves.

Never heard the Patti rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Absolutely loving that, thank you. I know three other versions of this song and they're all great in their own way.

Bad video of another fab performance by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. It's all about the guy with the hair. :badger:

Once upon a time, I stumbled across this lovely album on YouTube's sidebar of sound while looking for something else, promptly fell in love with a track called Incognitor, then realised Nirvana was on it too.

And of course, Tori...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YkdnrM3aw

...who also covered Zep on the same EP to spine-tingling effect. In fact, this was one of my top three recordings by her when I was still a fan (albums 1-3).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2I8bjrAcw

Last edited:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
The Tour de France and Gangnam Style covers are fab! Could never get away with Mark Almond/Soft Cell myself, mainly cos his voice grates on me, but it remains the defining version and yeah, to each their own.

As for The Stranglers, this has long since been a favourite of mine.

:wub: