"Green" Homes

My mate has built his own one in the woods in Shawford nr Winchester on the edge of a farm.....completely made out of local materials, you should see it .....really cool.

He had some problems with the local concil but we think.......obviously we shouldn't quote the lovely lady from the Council, cos he made such a good job of it, she has passed it through as a nature watching hide.

Theres a stream nearby and i am currently on the case to source a small water turbine to take care of his electrical needs...............fuckin rad:smoke:

you can get wondeful sustainable homes these days - and if you fancy following Mickeys mates footsteps... check out a couple of books called 'homework' and 'shelter' they fully teach you how to build your own home out of recycled and cheap materials - proper wicked pictures of how others have done it

also check out the sustainable living field at The Big Green Gathering - they have some fabulous ideas

although in this country its pretty hard to live in a hand-made shelter all year round - most of the welsh hippies i know have council flats for the winter!!

UVFi said:
although in this country its pretty hard to live in a hand-made shelter all year round - most of the welsh hippies i know have council flats for the winter!!

Cool as...................like livin away for the summer...............bloody yuppies...

Wheres that FI...............the Gurnos???........Seriously like

yeah mickey its in north wales - theres a huge pile of them that live there for six months a year in their urts and tee pees - there not too hard to find

they are proper yogurt weaving hippies though (with full stigmata attached) - lets start our own commune!

i cant see your house continuum

i wanna though - can i see your house mister - can i - please :hehe:

I have often wonderd how much it would cost to genarate all the electric for my place from sola panels. Remebering that I live in a caravan and thusly less than a house would need. When ever I have googeld about all I find are systems to heat your water and little else. Is genarateing enough power to run your home unviable with sola alone?

theres a really good company that exist psyfi - they are a wind electricity company and they feed electricity to the national grid - sooo... you get the same electric as everyone else but you give your money to the nice guys and they used it for great things

will try and find out more details if you like - solar panels are forking expensive and very nasty to produce

huggles x x

Whoa - they are pretty posh looking modern houses!! and yeah the roofs are cool

i'd quite like summit like this though
urts.jpg

UVFi said:
theres a really good company that exist psyfi - they are a wind electricity company and they feed electricity to the national grid - sooo... you get the same electric as everyone else but you give your money to the nice guys and they used it for great things

will try and find out more details if you like - solar panels are forking expensive and very nasty to produce

huggles x x
Thing is are caravan site has its own wired type of grid thing going on so I'm not left with much choice about who I get my electric from unless I convince Halfyin group to change there supplier.

Maybe I should get a bicycle with a generator on it and peddle for all I'm worth.

awww some good homes appearing - Psyfi your rite man, if its not down to you then look for wind generators or solar panels you can stick on the top.

best of luck and keep us informed

great house hedi x x x

mickeyblueiiiis said:
My mate has built his own one in the woods in Shawford nr Winchester on the edge of a farm.....completely made out of local materials, you should see it .....really cool.

He had some problems with the local concil but we think.......obviously we shouldn't quote the lovely lady from the Council, cos he made such a good job of it, she has passed it through as a nature watching hide.

Theres a stream nearby and i am currently on the case to source a small water turbine to take care of his electrical needs...............fuckin rad:smoke:

rad indeed! fingers crossed with the planning permission..... tis sticky business..... even if it gets passed through as a hide he could have problems later down the line as living in it would be a material change of use that requires planning permission etc............ however, think its three years of as a home (thats been registered as a hide) and it becomes bona-fide (ill check my books!)

How much do those small water turbines cost ish........

any idea why theyre not being used on a larger scale in places like london?

frigging wicked houses peeps...... keep em coming!

fingers crossed that i'll be able to make the big green gathering UVFi............. got a phat project to finish before i can buy the ticket (do you recon it will sell out?)

Ya's could always try Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales

www.cat.org.uk

From Come and See Us!

We are the largest public display centre of this kind in Europe and have won many prizes for our work.

The Centre's 40 acre site (seven acres on public display) has working examples of wind, water and solar power, energy conservation, environmentally sound buildings, self build, organic growing and alternative sewage systems.

You arrive on the site by having a ride on a fantastic water-balanced cliff railway.

The site is famous for its beautiful and atmospheric ambience, a haven of biodiversity and peace surrounded by fields supporting only sheep and forests supporting only one or two tree varieties, but with magnificent mountain vistas.

whlkdsm.jpg

Kids at CAT

As you walk round the site you can discover many aspects of how we can improve our relationship with the earth's natural resources - working with natural processes rather than exhausting them. It's packed with exciting and informative things to do and see. You can find enough to keep you busy all day and come away with your head buzzing with ideas!

You'll find different means of generating power - wind, wave and water turbines, photovoltaic arrays, and all the control equipment.

If environmental living is your interest, check out the Self Build House and the Low Energy House, where you can find out about energy conservation.

For those wanting to reduce the environmental impact in their own homes, there are displays that take you through the secrets of solar water heating (with a variety of different panels being demonstrated)and tips on energy conservation, recycling, transport and lifestyle.

If gardening is your field then there are extensive and very different gardens to walk around, growing everything from artichokes to azalias and using a variety of organic methods. You can find out about permaculture and organic growing, composting and pest control, and you can even buy some of the plants.

There's plenty for the kids too. Activities to explain about solar,wind and wave power, as well as many other technologies, and an adventure playground and a maze.

There's a smallholding with many different animals - if you have children, they'll love it, but there are important messages too. The Centre has its own reservoir and water supply, and its own sewage systems. In fact this aspect of our work is one of our most famous- we are pioneers in the use of composting toilets and reed beds -make sure you contribute to them when you come! Many of the displays also have applications in developing countries.

Six members of staff live on the site with their families, so it is very much a working demonstration of alternative technology. We generate our own electricity, mainly from renewable sources of energy. Over half the hot water used annually is solar heated and the buildings display many features of ecological design and energy conservation.

While you are here you can take the opportunity to visit the information desk and, by appointment, discuss technical matters in detail with our engineers, biologists, horticulturalists and builders.

What more could you expect from the award-winning, number one `green tourism' centre in Europe?

It is open to the public for most of the year (except three weeks in January).

We're sure you won't be disappointed if you decide to come!
Can't go wrong with a wicked animated gif banner like this!

banner.gif

mmm... twirly

theres the earth centre near doncaster up here in yorkshire as well....

...however..my house ates went to CAT after the party in wales at the weeeknd and said that if you know your stuff already then don't expect any surprises cos its for educating the masses who maybe aren;'t as clued up on alternative tech....not that i'm saying that you wouldn't learn anyfink but.......

..they do do good courses and stuff there though as well....

Back