'Green' n Blacks???!!

UVFi

Forum Member
Reaction score
just thought i would let people know that green and blacks has offically been bought by Cadbury Schewepps

Cadbury Schwepps for those who dont know, make 'great' products such as coke a cola (teeth problems anyone) and fund nasty nasty projects all over the world that oppress people majorly

they aint rite and they aint clever - so if you fink your buying 'fair trade' chocolate, think again

sorry - i was gutted too - have to stop selling it in me shop and EVERYFINK... :hihug:

any thoughts?

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
Don't dismiss it too quickly Fi, Craig Sams is still president of the company and whilst he's still there running the show you can pretty much guarantee that it'll still be run ethically and with Fairtrade at the forefront of it's business practices. If they mess with it too much he'll be gone like a shot, then it'll be time to ditch them as a supplier.

UVFi

Forum Member
Reaction score
hey Grokit :silly:

i hear what your saying but for some reason the words 'organic' and 'fair trade' put alongside 'coca cola' doesnt seem to compute in my book!

this guy has done great things, as i said hes head of the soil association - so why exactely is he walking around hand in hand with schwepps now???

it doesnt work in my book and that worries me Alot...

:no: :no:

i agree that green and blacks will carry on doing what they do for Maya farmers and indeed other farmers too - but by no means is schwepps fair trade - maybe we will see a total business re-vamp where suddely schwepps stops being a national people fucking company.. but i very much doubt it.

i'm actually increasingly disturbed by the amount of influence this guy has on the organic food trade - he should be fighting the powers that be with the rest of us - not licking arse like the other toads

what does this mean for what we class as 'organic foods' coz as head of the soil association he really makes that call... i is a scared Fi.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
Fi, you're panicking and getting things mixed up again. :Wink3:

Cadbury Schweppes bought a company which makes a very good profit by operating in a certain manner. It's not going to be in their interest to change the manner in which that company operates if those changes mean that they'll lose all the goodwill and market share they've already built up.

You also seem happy to ignore that Craig and Co had already sold 80% of the company quite some time ago to another group of investors, they didn't make changes to the organic and Fairtrade policies of the company then for the same reasons, they're what make the company special and give it it's enviable position in the market.

That Cadbury Schweppes is owned by Coca Cola corp isn't in doubt, but they do operate pretty much autonomously from them in most respects and that is what you're likely to see carry on here too. Allowing a company to be sold, which you don't even have the controlling interest in is hardly walking hand in hand with somebody now, is it? As to schweppes not being fairtrade, so what, they don't make any promises in that respect. Do you honestly think that they should become fairtrade just because they've bought some tiny little chocolate block company which is?

Craig Sams has so much influence on the Soil association and organic trade in general because he's made it one of his life missions and has been living and breathing it for nearly as long as you've lived, so it seems a bit ripe to say that he's got a scary amount of influence and that he should be fighting the powers that be. If it wasn't for the efforts of the Sams family you'd probably be a lot less aware of organic foods in general and definitely see far less of it in the shops and supermarkets of this country. He got that much influence by being one of the few people who campaigned to make people aware of it all in the first place...

As for your last line about classification of organic foods, sit down and breath with a paper bag for a while, once you've calmed down enough you should realise how much nonsense that was. :p

UVFi

Forum Member
Reaction score
fair point and bluntly made!

i do still find it abit odd though - its quite a big issue for me as i manage a small eco friendly shop which (currently) sells green and blacks products. To me it seems that the reason we need to be so stringent about products and their backgrounds is because small businesses and compainies cannot survive next to huge coporations like, hmmm, say... Coca Cola!!!

for this reason i dont really understand how a company can be classed as 'Fair Trade' when its part of a conglomerate, this is a huge problem for many small buisnesses, i'm well aware of this as i work for one.

i trust in your reassurances that the company will remain as friendly to its workers as it is now, making it an obvious choice when put next to other products. but i still think its stinks abit. how can you remain fair trade and organic when you are owned by one of the biggest coporate arsewipes in the world - in the end all this means is that the rich are still getting richer...

guess i'm a bit of an idealist but i would like to think that one day we might all be 'allowed' to have a share in the pie

i'm glad that only a bit of the company belongs to cadbury schwepps and that it is mostly franchised by Cadbury in this country - thank you for your thoughts as i have a tough decision to make based on the products i sell in my shop!!

and your rite my last line was paranoid nonsense...

tortoise

Psy-Judy
Reaction score
Problem is, we've all had the wool pulled over our eyes so many times that paranoia does start to kick in, it's a fairly natural response, and not a wrong one. I was at university with the guy whose grandfather invented Coca Cola. The present Coca Cola company bought the recipe off him for £1000. And now look at it. Things do change over time, people may eventually forget that G&B's was ever a small independent company, they'll get used to the fact that they are Cadbury's and as long as they use the same recipe, most people won't give a shit.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I was at university with the guy whose grandfather invented Coca Cola. The present Coca Cola company bought the recipe off him for £1000.

Ahh - this would be the *original* formula, when it was a brown sticky drink with a fair-sized dose of cocaine in it. :Wink3:

J.

Burt

Forum Member
Reaction score
G&B's maya gold orange & spices is my fav choc ever! giving up meat would be easier than giving up that :unsure:

mickeyblueiiiis

No. 1 Superguy..
Reaction score
Thats a bummer...................everytime you're eeetin G&B.......you'll be funding the Morman Taberknacle

and defending some twat that thinks eees allowed to have 13.5 wives

rainbowsprite

Junior Members
Reaction score
I heard about this a little while ago and I have been looking into it. Cadburys bought G&B because it is such a good business and is profitable. One way of looking at Cadburys motives is that they have seen how well G&B are doing, G&B are taking Cadburys customers away, and their market share, because more and more people prefer to buy products like G&B.

One easy way for Cadburys to learn how to change and improve their practices and to attempt to do more organic and fair trade stuff is to learn from G&B and copy some of their procedures etc etc. I'm not suggesting Cadburys motives are totally benign in any way, but I am suggesting that Cadburys are a business that wants to continue making money and fair trade organic stuff is where the money is in the chocolate trade these days.

Also if Cadburys start buying more organic cocoa beans it means they are less likely to have issues with their chocolate being contaminated with pesticides (eg lindane) and then having to remove the whole lot off the shelves of shops as part of a food scare.

just my tuppence worth....

rainbowsprite

Junior Members
Reaction score
I think it is more likely that Cadburys will use G&B's knowledge in the fair trade and organic areas to learn from it and increase their profts by increasing their own amount of organic and fairtrade chocloate than the alternative which is Cadburys spending a lot of money buying G&B and then removing the fair trade organic principles which it is famous and profitable for so they end up with a company that loses all its customers and then loses money.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
UVFi said:
for this reason i dont really understand how a company can be classed as 'Fair Trade' when its part of a conglomerate, this is a huge problem for many small buisnesses, i'm well aware of this as i work for one.

Companies aren't Fairtrade, their products can be though.

UVFi said:
guess i'm a bit of an idealist but i would like to think that one day we might all be 'allowed' to have a share in the pie

So buy shares and get to have your say.

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
did you know that the coca cola name/logo (the patents and copyright surrounding it) is worth more than all of their physical property (factories, trucks, cooling machines etc...) put together

JohnM

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Fromem_Ory said:
did you know that the coca cola name/logo (the patents and copyright surrounding it) is worth more than all of their physical property (factories, trucks, cooling machines etc...) put together

Not surprising really - its like Nike subcontract everything - so what are you buying when you buy a Nike product?... basically the idea of a brand built up through marketing - rather than an actual Nike garment -as its not made in a Nike factory but the same factory that lots of other companies that are subcontracting from the big barnds get their stuff made up... I dont think Nike even employ their own designers...

I find the whole concept of brands quite fascinating - its an idea rather than product - so where does that leave good quality fakes (i've got some knock off Bangkok stussy t-shirts that have lasted better than actual stussy t-shirts)... aaarrgghh.. post modern overload...

:Smile3: