Greens pledge to ban the Grand National.

borken syntax

Fear and loathing in SW London
Reaction score
Oh, and they also plan £200bn of tax rises.

CClEi_rXIAIU-7y.jpg

Last edited:
I think they're the most sensible political party in the UK. They're only a bit fringe because the general state of society is daft. For one thing, the Greens might be the only party that would opt to leave fossil fuels in ground rather than chase jobs/money. A strong global Green governance that placed the needs of the most vulnerable and sustainable lifestyles as more important than $ might be much more preferable to how the alternatives will play out.

after reading the manifesto above, I certainly won't be voting green.

Increase in income tax?
looks like an increase in NI.

I'm f*cking skint now without handing more money over in tax :-(

unhealthy food tax?

a lot of people buy that shit in iceland as it is cheap. take that away and what are they going to eat?

and increase tax on booze and fags?

Seems like they are planning on taxing the poor even more than the tories.

Aye but a guaranteed income that is going to sit fatter in the pockets of the poor (that you so helpfully characterise as eating shit from Iceland and smoking and boozing).

you do know what I mean though?

truly skint people don't buy fruit and veg do they. They are buying 30 burgers for 50p.

Will we be taxing that?

Obviously, I am being super general here. A lot of people in that boat probably don't even know how to cook with fresh food.

So your comment "Aye but a guaranteed income that is going to sit fatter in the pockets of the poor"

what do you mean by that?

Are you talking about an increase in the minimum wage?

If we are increasing income tax, how will poor people benefit from that?

I don't earn a great wage, and I already give 25% away every month. How will I get more when that increases to what? 27%? 30%?

I'm a bit concerned about the planned increase in pension tax too. Pensioners are freezing to death as it is, how will them paying more tax help?

How about the fuel duty escalator?

Last time that was in place, the UK had the highest petrol price in europe.

A hell of a lot of people depend on cars to work.

I know that we need to be cutting back on carbon emissions.......

then I'm f*cking certainly not voting for them and I hope no one else does.

sad to say I'd rather vote ukip.

Business and employment
One million "good" jobs will be created, all paying at least a living wage. Minimum wage will be increased to £10 by 2020. Zero-hour contracts will be banned and the highest wage in any organisation will be limited to ten times the lowest. A maximum 35-hour working week will also be introduced to combat unemployment and improve life quality.

oh joy, I will be getting a pay cut due to having to work less hours too :-(

Hi "borken syntax" - I'm not sure why you facepalm rated my comment...Do you have a more preferred political party?

Green Party / policy

Do you honestly think there are more intelligent policies offered by any other voting options? Please try and think beyond merely selfish interests.

I'm just looking out for me and my family.

We struggle enough as it is.

yes, that is a selfish interest, but I couldn't give a single f**k about anything or anyone else.

I don't mean any offence by that, it's very easy to read more in people's post on a forum. I am not typing this with anger. I just swear more than most people.

I can see perfectly well that what we have now isn't working correctly and yes we do need a change, that's for sure.

but pie in the sky comments like "yeah! lets give everyone a tenner an hour! cut hours! stop ceo earning so much" etc is not going to work in my opinion.

almost doubling minimum wage means one thing - people losing jobs. you pay two people 6 bucks and hour then have to pay them 10... one of them poor buggers is out of the door, leaving the other one to do two peoples jobs. I know for a fact this has happened in the past.

caping people's salaries means people (and possibly work) leaving the country. Don't get me wrong, the disparity between peoples income is abysmal and ethically wrong. But how many CEO will be happy about that?

and a 35 hour week means I will lose out on 18 hours pay a month. that's a hell of a lot when you aint earning that much to start.

I am grateful that these other parties are getting recognition though. it's about time init.

There's some fierce fear-mongering going on here.
What I meant about guaranteed income was just that, and just as VAT is presented as hitting low earners hardest, so this will benefit low earners most.
Taxation could be putting some of your income at the service of doing things that we actually need, rather than trickling up to be spent on mega-yachts. At the moment we're being taxed by plutocrats.

Most of my comments are tongue-in-cheek. But since you ask, I just have zero trust in their economic evaluation for policy decision-making. And I will leave it at that. Not avoiding a discussion but I genuinely have heaps of work which I ought to be getting on with (and I will probably come back to this thread at some point in the near future because I am sad and have no life).

Do you honestly think there are more intelligent policies offered by any other voting options?

Last edited:
but who are you going to vote for borkenS? I'm guessing FrankE is picking SNP :-p

"This year the most important climate talks in history will take place in Paris.
Leaders from around the world will come together to decide the world’s course of action in addressing the most important issue of modern times.
Yet, despite the looming threat of a climate crisis, during this election you could be forgiven for thinking that the threat had lifted.
The truth is, politicians from the other parties simply aren’t speaking about climate change. In fact I was the only party leader to raise the topic during the three and a half hours of Leaders debates.
You and I know both know that the science is unequivocal – fortunately we have the plan to tackle the crisis.
The Green Party is the only party calling for the urgent action required and at the heart of our pledge to protect the environment is our conviction that we must also reconfigure our world to work better for people.
We will cut public transport fares – because everyone should be able to afford to get to where they want to go – and because the air pollution caused by cars is a crisis that must be tackled.
We will invest in home insulation – because no one should fear family members getting ill or even dying from the cold – and because we want to cut carbon emissions.
We will generate 80% of our energy from renewable sources by 2030 – because we know we must leave four-fifths of known fossil fuel reserves in the ground.
We are using three times as many resources as our planet can sustain - we must change course, and we can.
I, like you, want to leave a better future for our children. I want the next generation to look back on what we did at this time and think ‘my parents generation did something to protect our world’. I want them to be proud of us.
To keep climate change on the agenda and to continue our fight for social justice we must elect more Green MPs.
We can do this if we have a strong Green voice in parliament - but we need your help now more than ever with a Green vote on May 7th.
Thank you,
Natalie Benett
Leader, Green Party of England and Wales"

Back