harmony question

Johnny Digital

i can wirte inglich
Reaction score
Hi,

If i make a bass line in, for instance, C minor, do i have to use the same scale for all the other instruments?

thanks

joao

there's never "have to" in music.

but broadly speaking it's a good idea to have everything in the track working in the same mode. makes it sound... you know... musical... ;]

that said, there's nothing to stop you adding accidentals here and there.

and of course, in psytrance there are a lot of weird and wobbly noises which arent tuned at all, or are sorta-tuned-but-pretty-atonal -- i find if absolutely everything in a track is all in key, it just doesnt sound like psytrance, which needs some elements to be atonal.

so basically we get back to where we started: there's no "have to" in music

hmmm.... whats a mode? :Smile3:

my question was more "if the bass plays the x scale, does the lead have to follow?" or... would i make my life much simpler if i do?

i know that are no dont's... i dont really have to use scales, or tune synths to the same temperament, but those tinhgs exist to make life simpler for us, dont they ? :Grin:

and sine i'm having less and less time to spend makin tunes, i want to make it simple... (when even most pros can bother to make something unique...)

thanks,

joao

Johnny Digital said:
hmmm.... whats a mode? :Smile3:

my question was more "if the bass plays the x scale, does the lead have to follow?" or... would i make my life much simpler if i do?

i know that are no dont's... i dont really have to use scales, or tune synths to the same temperament, but those tinhgs exist to make life simpler for us, dont they ? :Grin:

and sine i'm having less and less time to spend makin tunes, i want to make it simple... (when even most pros can bother to make something unique...)

thanks,

joao

You probably can recognise the "correct" notes of a scale by ear and trial and error in production that is easy enough. I would recommend learning a few simple scales and see how it can alter the feel of your track using different modes, a bit of theory could open up loads of new paths for you. Also it might help you get away from the old and ancient trance production route of using 5th and 7ths religiously!!! :P :Wink3:

Furthermore if you are writing in C the scale of the root notes of "C" will also work in scale form over the top.

a mode is basically like a scale.

except, a mode is "a given set of notes", whereas a scale is more like "playing those notes in order".

if that makes any sense.

DJJD said:
Also it might help you get away from the old and ancient trance production route of using 5th and 7ths religiously!!!

7ths? hmmm.. gonna try that :Grin:

nice tip :Grin:

soliptic said:
a mode is basically like a scale.

except, a mode is "a given set of notes", whereas a scale is more like "playing those notes in order".

if that makes any sense.

makes a bit of sense... i just dont know enough to use it, like most of music theory

Well, if you stick to the key of C (major) as you suggested, the seven white keys after C on the keyboard form the scale for that key. If you fancy trying stuff in a minor key, try starting on A, for which the same 'white keys only' scale applies (except you will need to 'sharpen' the seventh note of the scale - the G - it's called the 'harmonic minor').

:Smile3:

Ruskin said:
Well, if you stick to the key of C (major) as you suggested, the seven white keys after C on the keyboard form the scale for that key. If you fancy trying stuff in a minor key, try starting on A, for which the same 'white keys only' scale applies (except you will need to 'sharpen' the seventh note of the scale - the G - it's called the 'harmonic minor').
:Smile3:

hmmm actually i sugested C minor :Grin:

usually i used more "flavored" scales and/or harmonic progressions. Like pentatonics and "arabic" flavored stuff.

how does what you write relate to a mode?

if i always pplay the notes in the D scale, i'm i in the dorian mode? still makes no sense...

Back