havent got time for this

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
the titles eye-catching but, completely wrong, i have got time for this. and what is this? breaks!
no, not the genre. i'm talking bout that minute long breakdown somewhere in the middle/second half of many trance tunes. it is watching the way the crowd respond to breaks in tunes these days that has inspired this thread. it's summed up best by something Ticon said... trance crowds have no patience anymore!
take a tune like Sea Side Hills by Lish. its got a very long break, but its not an ambient soundscape, its a succession of cleverly built climaxes and anticlimaxes. its one of the best breaks i've ever heard in a tune. when i played it recently, the dancefloor was empty before it spectacularly drops into a morning bounce.
i remember a few years ago at outdoor parties the feeling of breaks, like you notice a cold atmosphere around you, a break from the groove, everyone standing poised and anticipated, a chance to showcase the trippiest sounds of the track. and when it kicks in everyone goes mad again... i honestly feel that these days many people havent got time for this and just want the beat to go on eternally. to them i say go to a acid tekno squat party! honestly... the beat never stops.
i think the breakdown is one of the most quality parts of a tune, and can be used to extremely great effect, especially as a catalyst to the re-entry of the beat. i also feel that many many people these days havent got the patience for this, and the dancefloor is often half its size by the time the tune kicks back in. anyone else with me on this one?

p.s. i know i mentioned both Ticon and Lish in this, but i am talking about full-on trance! i'm not some whiny prog-head who shouldnt be playing trance parties

Fromem_Ory said:
p.s. i know i mentioned both Ticon and Lish in this, but i am talking about full-on trance! i'm not some whiny prog-head who shouldnt be playing trance parties

LOL... i know you're watching mr_23 :Wink3:

i think it could have something to do with the fact that a lot of these breakdowns and build ups are generic, stereotypical, call them what you will, and people are bored of them, especially those that promise something then don't deliver, and then do... these are well over used at the moment... blame party pooper.

having said that good breakdowns are good breakdowns, and in my experience they always work.

lets be fair nearly all trance 'has' to break at somepoint, its what makes it trance init. trick though is how to do it effectively. how it breaks and what it does after the break is the key to a good track imo. I've noticed recently that too many tracks break too many times, its that eskimo syndrome init.

It's because there is at least one of them in EVERY FUCKING TUNE think how many of these occur in the space of a 2 hour set, and the fact that it's only a couple of minutes between each one.

Personally I tend to edit out more and more of them as the set progresses and just leave the odd properly wikid one in place. It's amazing how you can simply cut the entire breakdown out of a tune and it will just roll along without anybody noticing.

lurk said:
having said that good breakdowns are good breakdowns, and in my experience they always work.

Indeed.......personal favourite breakdown in a track at the moment = d.tek vs. mex trance mafia (off time and space pt.3) 'ave it!!!

Nuffink wrong with a break in a tune,its just there's a fine line betwixt an intelligent break and break that doesn't add to the tune. I think could be linked to the fact that most dj's today play fat floor fillers all night,they don't seem to be creating soundscapes for people to dance in. where's the story????
Like you say, no patience.....

Fromem............maybe if almost every full on break wasnt the jet engine style eskimo lameness we hear everywhere I would have a bit more patience. same old same old.

Fromem_Ory said:
the dancefloor was empty before it spectacularly drops into a morning bounce.

<chop>

he eh !!

touche Drat ..... Bottom line .... if you are dj'ing and you empty the dancelfoor then perhaps you are doing something wrong ....... ???? Seems logical to me ......

<post definitely not a reaction to the whiny prog dj comment - honestly guvnor>

Monkey Do said:
It's because there is at least one of them in EVERY FUCKING TUNE think how many of these occur in the space of a 2 hour set, and the fact that it's only a couple of minutes between each one..

My sentiments exactly - I'm as partial to a big break as anyone - but it does get boring every five minutes. (though as a weird rule of thumb - the bigger the crowd the more/longer breaks you can get away with it).

But I'd have thought the whole point about an ideal form of pure trance was that it didnt break so you'd carry on in your trance like state...

Pod from Ripsnorter/Tribe of Frog is well worth catching on his psy sets, he's come from the nrg/hard dance side of things so he doesnt mess around with breaks!

jamez_23 said:
he eh !!

touche Drat ..... Bottom line .... if you are dj'ing and you empty the dancelfoor then perhaps you are doing something wrong ....... ???? Seems logical to me ......

<post definitely not a reaction to the whiny prog dj comment - honestly guvnor>

yes, often true... but listen to sea side hills by Lish (the example track of this thread) and tell me whats wrong with playing that (speeded up a little bit) at the start of a morning set !

i also like getting into the rhythm of the music and of course i dont like a break every five seconds.... maybe i shoudnt have put so much emphasis on just breaks, but just generally it seems that in the past year or so trance crowds want it harder stronger faster, i'm still enjoying music which is energetic, full of wikkid fills and builds, but doesnt get ahead of itself and takes its sweet time getting to where its gotta go.

Fromem_Ory said:
yes, often true... but listen to sea side hills by Lish (the example track of this thread) and tell me whats wrong with playing that (speeded up a little bit) at the start of a morning set !

ahhh track one ..... Ok - its a very sweet track ...... However, its 130 BPM - I wouldn't try to squeeze a 130 BPM progressive track into a psy trance set because the pitch process would make it sound too weak ...... fits nicely into progressive house/trance set though ......

The track itself is good - I have actually played it out - was dj'ing at about 15:00 in the afternoon playing at about 134 BPM ...... ( whiny progressive dj :Wink3: )

The break is very long ...... I wouldn't play it as a first tune for this very reason - you get the beats started then they stop again 3 minutes later for well over a minute - not the best thing to keep people interested ... you need a bit more momentum before pulling out of the groove like this ....

Tracks with long breaks can sound brilliant if you have relentlessely kept the beats going strong for an hour or so ...... then all of a sudden - BREAK ...... would have much more of an effect ........

I, personally, reckon the break is a bit too much in this tune ....... I did notice a few people lagging the other week when I played it ...... made a mental note and probably wont play it again for that very reason .....

Its dance muisc, not sway about looking like a div coz you start dancing each time you think its gonna kick in music ...... ( I noticed that - I found it quite funny !! he eh )

Fromem - I reckon we should both learn a lesson here and not play this track unless it is totally the right time to do so. It doesn't really work because the break is too long ...... :Smile3:

p.s. Could do well to edit most of break out so it just get twinkly then kicks back in again ...... or even have two copies on cd to do a bit of mixing with .....

good call dude
i been thinking also about this track, what with a morning set coming up on saturday 30th. the break is a bit long. i personally love tunes that carry on with little percussion and then have a big build up to just some 16th hats and snares, i think that tune manages that very well. but yeah, its one of those tunes that should have a proper psy remix, with a better kick and a shorter break.
will be replacing this choon with 'voyager' by silicon sound. equally morningy but with a more full-on approach, and that last drop is soooo good!
peeeace
alex

Back