Having problems making a decision

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Am thinking about either getting a second Powercore Firewire or a Virus Ti.

I'm finding myself wanting to use more Powercore FX, but some of its DSPs (typically 2) are tied up with the Virus Plug-in. So, using a Ti would free up a couple of DSPs (from a total of 4).

Alternatively - a second powercore would give me twice the overall DSP power and more flexibility.

Any (sensible) thoughts?

you could look at it like this...

get a virus Ti - you will free up 2 x dsp's from yuor powercore

get another powercore - you will have 4 free dsp's from your new powercore

..and also what does the Ti offer you that th e plugin does not ? (not familiar with either)

i think I would go for a new powercore!

Merry xmas!

Ta for the input.

I guess that's part of the problem. What does Ti *really* do over and above the Powercore's Virus.

1) it's hardware (potentially keyboard - although I already have several keyboards)
2) hypersaw (not ever-so excited about that since I have unison on other synths)
3) 80 odd voice polyphony & 16 parts (although only 4 tracks can be transferred via USB)
4) wave morphing (interesting, but I reckon I can do that kind of stuff with soft VSTis)
5) Moog modelled filters (I have real / proper Moog filters in my Voyager)
6) You can use it as a VSTi (hang-on, the Powercore Virus *is* a VSTi :Wink3:)
7) People are saying the sound is vastly improved over previous generation Virus - maybe because of faster effective sample rate? Although I'd have to hear it for myself.

On balance - I reckon I can cover most of the bases with my existing arsenal of sound sources and VSTis. I think you're right Makdaddy - the sensible choice might very well be to plump for a second Powercore.

Maybe if I didn't have some of the kit I already own, Ti would be a good choice.

Shame TC don't do an *unplugged* powercore firewire like they're doing with the PCI card. I don't want to go the PCI route since I also use a laptop, my desktop's PCI slots are already fully populated and I *think* firewire is a bit more future-proof than PCI. At least I should be able to grab a firewire adapter card for some years to come (hopefully).

yeah you do seem to have a fair arsenal of sound sources there

what kind of music do you write Purusha? and how comes we never get to hear it ?...or do we ?

Well, at the minute I mainly work as muso add-on to OVNI for live gigs, which is part of the reason I like my hardware kit - for playing live. The music I produce (with or without Pascal) usually goes directly into those gigs. That's partly down to time constraints (family, day-job, party promotion, DJing etc. take most of my time these days).

At the minute, it's mainly psychedelic tinged electronica. Backroom stuff, but more in the vein of Kraut Rock.

I'm definitely more into the live improvised end of music making, which is why working with Pascal is ideal for me.

Part of the reason I don't make the collaborated tracks with Pascal available is that he's chasing a new record deal, so he's keeping things close to his chest.

However - I also do bits and pieces of engineering work & assistance for several muso friends & family. E.g. I've been doing a fair bit of stuff for my cousin who's an acoustic singer/songwriter: www.mundy-turner.com

I have plans to work on some stuff with a well-known psy/breaks/chill producer mate. We're just trying to find mutually available time-slots for me to get down to his studio. We're planning to do some <producer's name> vs. Purusha tracks. Will PM you with his name :Wink3:.

Got the second Powercore (managed to get a *very* good deal on it).

I was worried about having 2 units on the one 1394 bus, but It's working out very well for me - I think that was the right choice!

BTW - looks like Sound Control have bought Turnkey, so it's now possible to get a Virus at other outlets in the UK. They've also bought Academy of Sound, so they're kind-of in a bit of a monopolistic position at the minute.

oh man...sound control suck ass

on 3 seperate occasion i have ordered stuff from their milton keynes store, on all 3 occasions i never got a call to say the goods had arrived - went to the store and they denied even placing any orders for me

wankers

I think it depends on which member of staff you deal with.

I've had good and bad experiences with some places and it usually comes down to who's doing the work.

Helps though if you get to know the guys. who work there.

:Wink3:

Back