Health and Saftey RE:decor

Ant

Wily Bogle
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with health and saftey regarding decor? i use alot of wool web type structures and lots of uv netting,and i also cover walls with UV paper and card... not easy to fire proof, anyone know if fire proofing spray could be used for these materials? what can you get away with and what is a definate no-no when it comes down to clubs and bigger squat type affairs who want to look after their punters when it comes down to fire proofing?

good thread.......i hope we get some input :Wink3:

Also down to how you regard the saftey of others, ive always avoided the difficult to fire retard stuff just out of principal, however this has severly restricted the mediums that ive been able to use , and also some cool ideas , ive just had to leave

Some clubs Dont even bother checkin your Decor, while others go round it with a lighter (yup......nice touch eh) ..........

If you are workin alot , getting public liabilty insurance is worth a look (if the peanuts from your last decor job can stretch to it) :Wink3:

For stuff that might be destroyed by a flame test i've found a sample piece is usually acceptable. It shows you've thought about the fire aspects of what you're doing. Carrying extra retardant and a manufacturers spec sheet also helps

Ok....sounds fair and all that :Wink3:

So what would be the best sort of fire proof to get?....What's the spray like in reality :o ...i heard it was ok if re-sprayed after a few uses?

when i ran an event on york campus we had all kinds of nasties from the health and saftey people - nothing on celings whatsoever, no attaching anything to the walls meaning we had to get extra truss in to hang everything from..
anyway, for a strict venue you have to have insurance (we were told any people coming in from outside the uni would need £5m worth!!!) and everything has to be fire checked by the fire department. I was given the impression that spraying isn't really good enough, but if you get a certificate for it, no one could say anything against it.

fortunatly most venues are a little more down to earth than the uni people, so the most important thing you can do is to be sensible - don't put anything risky anywhere *near* any lights or within reach of punters if at all possible.

H&S people seem to be under the impression that everyone who attends a party is an accident waiting to happen, but then if it goes wrong they'll be the ones knowing they saved lives..

The stuff I use is the crystals that dissolve in water. This is exactly the same as the Flamebar that you can get ready made but works out cheaper. The specs tell you how it was applied and tested and the duration it will last before needing a reapplication. Follow those and you should have no problems. I think that a lot of the problem with people spraying is that they just give it a quick once over and don't give it enough coverage. Spraying the painted face of a backdrop is crap too as it won't get near the fabric. Put a good coat on the back and a light one on the face so it actually gets near the weave (so long as its not really well primed)

In fabric tests it was still effective after 3 dry cleans.

Back