Here's some music... whats your opinion of it?

Jodha

Jedi smoker of da ganja
Reaction score
Skype! mark.baraka -> seeya online innit muvafo
See on my signiture there is a link to a tune? Click on it and let me know your thoughts...

This is the product of two men, one hard trance (me) and one psytrance (Steve), locked up in a converted garage for a weekend and a bit with only Logic, Soundforge, Cooledit and a big bag of weed for entertainment.

Its a first draft mixdown, it needs some tweaks here and there but it seemed sensible to get other opinions on it too before returning back to the converted garage :Wink3:

Happy listening and if you leave a comment, thanks :Smile3:

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
sounds pretty good to me m8y............nice and bouncy :Smile3:

mafkaroo

Junior Members
Reaction score
Not bad at all for a weekends work!
Quite a lot going on towards the end, I would be tempted to rearrange some of the parts to get a better groove. I would also try to use some sounds to get my own tradermark sound, or make it stand out - although this is easier said than done (and most others don't tend to do this anyway!)

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
That's a cracker! Storming stuff!!! Great night time track!
:clublase:

Jodha

Jedi smoker of da ganja
Reaction score
Cool, cheers for all the nice things said :Smile3:

Mafkaroo, I'm inclined to agree with you on the end having a lot going on in it... I'd be tempted to shorten the whole thing by a minute and loose some of whats there and tidy up the rest, but psytrance tunes seem to be made long, and although this is a bit of a hybrid Steve and me spend enough time arguing (in a nice matey way) about which sounds to use - bringing in contraversial tune lengths could wobble things too much for productivity - its taken us 8 attempts at writting together to get something actually close to finished.

The Phonographist

www.lucidoxford.com
Reaction score
Well, its not bad for a couple of gimpoids like you and steve. :Wink3:

It takes a while to get going, I like where it goes though. Some of the patches early on I'm not so keen on but that doesnt mean there bad. Just different to what I'd go for.

Jodha

Jedi smoker of da ganja
Reaction score
Oi - your a gimpoid too in that case as together we've done some Cubase/Reason in the past and you and Steve have Logic'ed together quite extensively as well.

Or are you the non-gimpoid out of the three of us? I'll let Steve know and we'll gang-up on you next time :Wink3:

It may seem like it takes a while to get going... but we have the fuller bassline from the start originally and it was too much too soon... this way you have an easy minute for the mix - switch your crossfader hard over at 1minute 4seconds, but prior to that you can blend or drop parts in... if its dance like this it needs to be written to be DJ friendly.... thats my philosophy anyway :Smile3:

Rextable

You're a smmrrg hrrrd
Reaction score
Dood!!! that kick sound is phatt!!! :punk:

what did ya make it on? Waldorf Attack?:huh: or is it a sample? i'm using Attack for my kick noises ATM. but still can't quite get it to do what your choon does. nice one. :Grin:

Beat-Root.

Jodha

Jedi smoker of da ganja
Reaction score
Col, me confused... thought this was the section to put your tunes in, or do you mean "moved to the correct section" as a positive thing in regard to writing stuff more psychedelic? If the latter I'll unashamadly tell you I also got 2/3s through writing a D'n'B track last weekend too, only the project Steve and me worked on took priorety :Wink3:

Rextable, yeah we are producing our own kicks, this one came from Cooledit as it has a better pitch slide function (greater range) than in Soundforge. I cant remember the starting frequency of the base sine wave that was used but I've seen examples using all sorts of starting frequencies. I've yet to experiment enough to give you a good set of guidelines but the basic premise is something like:

- Generate a sine wave (about 1 second will do it)
- Stick it into the pitch bend option in either SF or CE (cooledit would be preferable) and sweep the frequency right down
- Apply a kick-style envelope
- Save
- Load into Kontact, ES24, or any other sampling device (soft or hard) that you may be using
- Sequence!

But as I have said, I'm in my early days of kick drum manufacture, the best thing for you to do would be to take that and play until you find your favourite starting frequencies for the sine wave, your favourite pitch sweeps and favourite envelopes... 600Hz is one useable starting frequency :Wink3:

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
There's a section of the forum specifically for people's tracks, rather than for general production questions (which is where you posted it). However I guess if you wanted to be pedantic, since this track is unfinished perhaps this thread could have stayed where it was.

Anyway... sounding pretty good... kick/bass balance isn't quite right yet (a tad too much bassline) and I'm sure it would be possible to get more clarity with individual notes in the bassline (shorter events or shorter release, perhaps? Maybe lower sustain and quicker decay on the filter envelope?). Great progression in the basslthough, from oompah to 16th, and just the right combination of recognisable melodies and general tweakywierd noises for me. Definitely could do with a crash cymbal I think!

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
Yeah this is good stuff. Not too dark, plenty of mental noises and interest and just generally bloody rockin :Smile3:

I agree that the mix would benefit from a bit more space and polish, but you're going to do that anyway. Otherwise I can't really fault it. Maybe a little bit more sub in the kick or the bass. Not both though...

Jodha

Jedi smoker of da ganja
Reaction score
Currently having some crashes added, some extra trippyness and the back end is getting some attention too... it is a work in progress still and will be for at least another day given the current time the the recent request for less volume from "being kept from sleep" residents.

To be honest I didn't clock that other section of the forum, so its my bad judgement on thread position maybe, but I was after critism for production purposes, so I'm inclined to feel the pedantic approach more appropiate... :Wink3:

But, regardless, cheers for all the comments left, when I'm not on a random ash-tray hunt and getting sucked into internet land when I should be tweaking crashes I'll come back and leave appropiate comments for all suggestions :Smile3:

We may even have a complete breakdown of all tweaks performed so you know whats been changed and how.

But for now, where's that ashtray and its back to logicland for Marki :Grin: