He's got a point...

Barclay (Dark Angel)

Ninja Hippy
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4228676.stm

"Malaysian ex-PM UK 'terror' jibe
Ex-Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has accused the UK of "state-initiated terror".
His remarks on the Iraq war prompted the British High Commissioner and several other diplomats to walk out.

Dr Mahathir said US and UK pilots in Iraq were "murderers" and compared the war to rocket attacks on Palestinians.

Dr Mahathir, often criticised for his poor human rights record in office, was making the speech at a conference on the subject in Kuala Lumpur."

Hugs,

Barclay

Barclay (Dark Angel)

Ninja Hippy
Reaction score
Indeed, and I'll go further, and point to our involvement in, and acquiescence about Guantanamo Bay, "disappearances", imprisonment here without trial, and obtaining "evidence" through the use of torture, amongst many other abuses of basic human rights.

I fail to understand how we can claim to hold the moral high ground whilst we permit these things to happen. The only differences between us and Dr Mahathir Mohamad are possibly ones of scale, and that we're better at covering it up. The UKs history is littered with the grossest violations of human rights.

It's the old old story. Hypocrisy and violation build empires :Sad: They also create massive resentment and freedom fighters.

Hugs,

Barclay

Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Monkey Member
Reaction score
Barclay (Dark Angel) said:
Indeed, and I'll go further, and point to our involvement in, and acquiescence about Guantanamo Bay, "disappearances", imprisonment here without trial, and obtaining "evidence" through the use of torture, amongst many other abuses of basic human rights.

I fail to understand how we can claim to hold the moral high ground whilst we permit these things to happen. The only differences between us and Dr Mahathir Mohamad are possibly ones of scale, and that we're better at covering it up. The UKs history is littered with the grossest violations of human rights.

It's the old old story. Hypocrisy and violation build empires :Sad: They also create massive resentment and freedom fighters.

Hugs,

Barclay

Its it all done for our own safety. Sorry the safety of corporations! and where they are concerned the end always justifies the means! :irolleyes

Craic Addict

Purveyor of Fine Shittalk
Reaction score
imprisonment here without trial, and obtaining "evidence" through the use of torture, amongst many other abuses of basic human rights.

I hear you bro but this happened in N. Ireland for 30 years. I went to school next door to a barracks that were mentioned in such reports on over 100 counts, where a whole generation of young men were detained without charge for years under the Prevention of Terrorism Act which is still on the books here. Interestingly enough, we now here of many arrested under a similar law in England today yet they are nearly all being released to no such fanfare. For many here, the H-Blocks as they were known are not a million miles from Guantanamo Bay.
Ask Maggie Thatcher. She seems to be quite pally with Pinochet and the likes and we'll not even mention her son who is currently awaiting trial for funding an attempted coup d'état. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter after all.

Barclay (Dark Angel)

Ninja Hippy
Reaction score
Absolutely Adeptus. I could hardly agree with you more...

The Guildford 4, and others, came to my mind as I was writing the original post.

Hugs,

Barclay (whose Mum was a N. Irish protestant!)

psylent

Reaction score
Good old Dr Mahathir.

Did a lot of good things economically for Malaysia, which was generally referred to as a "Democratic Dictatorship" under his rule.

Whether he has a point or not, let's not forget this is the man who got his own deputy, the then Finance Minister Anwar Ibrahim locked up for six years for sodomy!

He was released last year. Read the story here.

I guess I think it's just a bit rich Mahathir lecturing the west on right and wrong. (And believe the same for Blair of course)

Jason

Barclay (Dark Angel)

Ninja Hippy
Reaction score
Yep, agreed Jason. I was just pointing out that Blair's record is terrible, and getting worse by the day. How many people killed in Iraq? How many people died as a direct result of sanctions - half a million kids as I recall.

Even Mahathir hasn't commited murder on that scale!

Hugs,

Barclay

psylent

Reaction score
I guess Tony is not getting a Christmas card off you Barcs? :Smile3:

It's not a surprise that Mahathir made the remark as he has always enjoyed winding up the west, especially Australia.