hi everyones, and the layered basses

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
what's happening on a layered bass sound or bassline?
how do you do it?
any relevant benefits apart a rich timbre?

???

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
Each sound has to have its own place in what you're trying to acheive, and you'll have to make sure they don't interfere with each other too much if you want to get a stable sound.

Benefits can include getting each layer to do something different than the others sometimes! Drawbacks can include the length of time it can take to get a decent sound that stays solid and coherent through a large pitch range.

As far as I can remember, Unusual Illusion (by me, Andrew and Chris Organic) has a 3-layer bass.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm getting better results than I used to with a simple low frequency sub and a higher frequency bass on top.

I've finding it better to do these things seperately rather than having multiple oscillators in a single patch, mainly because - as Colin says - you can get them triggering seperately and the decay (together with note off) can be adjusted for each.

I still haven't quite got my ideal stack of bass sounds coupled with kick yet.

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
Colin OOOD said:
Each sound has to have its own place in what you're trying to acheive, and you'll have to make sure they don't interfere with each other too much if you want to get a stable sound..
<visualise mode>
i think i can understand the meaning while trying to dissect unusual illusion bass sound...

Colin OOOD said:
Benefits can include getting each layer to do something different than the others sometimes!
sounds fun... tho i'm wondering

Colin OOOD said:
Drawbacks can include the length of time it can take to get a decent sound that stays solid and coherent through a large pitch range.
even though these drawbacks sound rather interesting to think on for the creation of new sounds

Colin OOOD said:
As far as I can remember, Unusual Illusion (by me, Andrew and Chris Organic) has a 3-layer bass.
impressive... honestly!

i don't want to push for your kindness Colin, but what's happening on a 1st layer? let's say, the ahuuum???
and the second layer?...?

are these final layers* you using for the bass, bounced compositions of already layered sounds?

*think on these layers as others than the ones used in Unusual Illusion

thank you very much, and Purusha and Sturdy Pete

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
I can't remember now, I'm afraid. Likely contenders are Audiorealism Bassline for the twang, Z3ta for the midrange and Pentagon II for the sub. Most recently though I've been working with just one bass layer, and processing it to get the result I want (after getting as close as I can with the synth or sample in the first place).

nicknick

me n me shadow
Reaction score
tea than?
hmm7ei.gif

your mum

Reaction score
I do it lots on breaks tunes. James Zabiela really liked this Right Leg remix of Vigi's "Love" were the bassline is two Doepfer patches I layered together
http://www.streetwisemusic.co.uk/audio/131559b.rm
Another similar example is the bassline from "I Can Feel It" that I did 3 years ago.
http://www.streetwisemusic.co.uk/stream/125664.ram
And a ring mod with a simple square underneath through a Moog filter is the bassline I did for the "I Found Love" remix
http://www.streetwisemusic.co.uk/audio/134217b.rm