Honda workers riot in New Delhi

boinktastik

dont reMember
Reaction score
Honda workers riot in New Delhi

Randeep Ramesh in New Delhi
Wednesday July 27, 2005
The Guardian

Indian police and striking workers of the Indian unit of the Japanese motor company Honda were engaged in running street battles in the suburbs of New Delhi for a second day. Hospitals said they were overwhelmed by the injured.
Television images showed furious women chasing police officers and pounding them with canes; other footage showed policemen beating dozens of protesting Honda workers with bamboo sticks and firing shots into the air.

Communist party workers, who supported the Honda strikers, were blasted with water cannon, and teargas was used against the protesters.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonia Gandhi, the leader of the ruling coalition government, and the Indian prime minister, Manmohan Singh, expressed anguish over the riots. Honda claimed many of the rioters were not their workers, implying outsiders had whipped up emotions.
Japan's ambassador to New Delhi warned that such incidents would damage India's image for investors.

The clashes started after workers of Honda Motorcycles and Scooters staged a protest to demand the reinstatement of dismissed and suspended colleagues. Despite two months of talks between Honda management and staff, no agreement was reached.

The Communist Party of India, which lends crucial support to Mrs Gandhi's coalition, has become increasingly vocal about the present administration's "neo-liberal" policies.

Special reports
India
Kashmir
Pakistan

News guide
The best news sources in India

Useful links
Government of India
Times of India
Hindustan Times
Week magazine

Tbh, this sort of thing happens all the time in India

really?

do you know of a site that covers similar global issues?

I was in guatemala last summer amidst a nation wide strike/protest of over 2 million people which brought the entire country to a halt for 3 days........... it was completally unprecidented, the first time that the native guatemalans had the courage to stand up to the government since the bloody events of the early 1990's in which 150,000 people died. I was shocked that i could not find a mention to it in any of the international newspapers, all i found was a couple of lines in reuters.

Er, read some of the on-line Indian papers :Wink3:

Back